Is this a Scam? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this a Scam?

My Ride
    W204

WTF... Reading > Beyond.

Originally posted by the_man
    he needs a place in Calgary to host his daugters every couple weeks
    Let's assume they're legal. He sends YOU photos. Done deal. The scammed becomes the scammer?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by 98type_r
    I've only ever revoked one where it hadn't been deposited yet. Pretty sure you can't revoke an email money transfer that's already been accepted and deposited.
    You can't revoke one that has been deposited. This doesn't seem like a scam to me, assuming he does follow through with the email transfer, it's very secure.

Like mentioned before make sure the link u click actually takes u to ur banks site. Not one that just looks like it. Look at the URL.

Once u accept the emt it's urs tho. No Paypal bs where he files a complaint and u get screwed.

Other than that interview other potentials as well and hold until 27 or 28 to decide. If he's a no show then u have ur back ups.

How much is he willing to send for more pics of the place?

And if he is hosting his daughters or whatever...he has a wife or ex wife or something...get her contact info to see if legit?

My Ride
    none

This doesn't feel right. I think this is the initial contact with the stupid story. The scam will emerge later. It will be the same bull shit... I'll pay more than the total rent, just send the extra back to me. Bla bla bla. His cheque is fake, you sent him good cash. Don't waste your time, and/or keep us posted on the scam.

Just to give an update:

I've recieved the emt for the damage deposit. Made sure it was legit, and i've checked my bank account and confirmed it.

I've asked him to fill out my application form to do a credit check, employment check, and reference check. Waiting on a response.

He wants to move stuff in on the 26th (the place is currently empty). I've agreed under the condition his application is in and all checks come in clean.

Anyon have any tips or suggestions?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

look at what he drives and its condition

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

What difference does that make?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Kloubek
    What difference does that make?
    you can see if he gives a shit about his things... which would show if he is more likely to give a shit about your house

Originally posted by ercchry

you can see if he gives a shit about his things... which would show if he is more likely to give a shit about your house
    I completely agree with this by the way. It's been my experience when buying used things almost every single time. When I go to view a car, and the guys house/garage/property/other vehicles is/are all immaculate, his car almost always is too. If he doesn't give a shit about anything else he owns, the car is usually a POS as well.

Not a flawless method obviously but it's been extremely accurate in my experience.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I can appreciate that someone who has shit strewn all over the interior of their car probably will do the same at their house.

However, what he actually drives or the condition of the vehicle doesn't mean much in my opinion. Last winter I was driving around a $1300 POS XJ I didn't care about while I had a C5 Corvette and a Porsche sitting in my garage.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I can appreciate that someone who has shit strewn all over the interior of their car probably will do the same at their house.

However, what he actually drives or the condition of the vehicle doesn't mean much in my opinion. Last winter I was driving around a $1300 POS XJ I didn't care about while I had a C5 Corvette and a Porsche sitting in my garage.
    you also dont rent

i cant say i totally agree with this looking at his car thing. I'll bet a good chunk of people who drive beaters have more cash than the guy driving a nicer car. My tenant now of almost 3 years has been beyond amazing and to be honest the place is cleaner than when i lived there, he rolled up in an old chevy truck.
    Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Stunt66
    i cant say i totally agree with this looking at his car thing. I'll bet a good chunk of people who drive beaters have more cash than the guy driving a nicer car. My tenant now of almost 3 years has been beyond amazing and to be honest the place is cleaner than when i lived there, he rolled up in an old chevy truck.
    the vehicle itself isnt the issue. the way it is kept is.

if some hillbilly pulls up in an old pickup missing a tailgate with empty PBR cans in the back and 40 bags of mic dicks in the cab and its missing a headlight...

vs dude in a CLEAN old truck that is maintained... completely different

Where did you get Clean old truck that is maintained out of my post? I didn't exactly specify the overall appearance of it but i thought old chevy truck was pretty straight forward, the thing was pretty far from clean.

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

the same place you got "nicer car" from

I think you missed my point. I was implying that just because a person drives a POS doesnt mean they're a POS and thats why i said i don't agree with the whole judging a potential tenant by what he drives.

Anyways, just double check the tenant op and cross your fingers. The rental biz can be pretty shitty sometimes

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

its a hot market right now, why take a chance? i find that yes, you can judge people by how they look/act... 82.1231% its correct. if it wasnt we wouldnt have stereotypes, now would we?

My Ride
    Bicycle

I won't accept a tenant sight unseen.

It's no different than hiring someone. You need to interview.

Like everyone said, there are plenty options right now. Unless you feel bad for this guy for some reason.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

did this with my last tenant who rented furnished nontheless without even seeing it - 9 month rental. He was working in EDM and unable to view the place. He had all the pictures as per rentfaster. He was willing to rent without coming to view the place so we sent him a rental agreement with that stated and for him to initial, we also sent him the rentfaster listing with the pictures and made sure he confirmed the place will be exactly as he sees it via pictures and he agrees to accept.

He email transferred the damage deposit. Met him two weeks later for walk-through and cheques. Was quite a smooth transaction actually. Have had no problems either.

Life is a Gamble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2