Quantcast
Vinyl Siding - Can it be fixed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Vinyl Siding - Can it be fixed?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Vinyl Siding - Can it be fixed?

So in a move of pure awesome yesterday I managed to chip a couple of small holes (about 3 inch diameter) in the siding of my house. It's right in the middle of the broad side of the house that faces the street so I don't really want to just leave it. If it was out of sight I wouldn't mind so much. Is there really anything you can do with vinyl siding other than replacing it? That seems like overkill for a couple of holes.

Help?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hey

Hey,

Watch this youtube video. The riveting in a peice may work for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ch30NCj1b0

Just depends on how picky you are. Personally I would replace a whole piece but this could work too.

For some small holes caused by hail I cut 1 foot sections of replacement siding and just slid it over the existing siding to cover the holes. As long as you can find a color match this is the easiest and cheapest way to do it (and I'm sure someone will say least correct), and unless you are standing within 5 feet of the repair and looking directly at it you will never notice it.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    For some small holes caused by hail I cut 1 foot sections of replacement siding and just slid it over the existing siding to cover the holes. As long as you can find a color match this is the easiest and cheapest way to do it (and I'm sure someone will say least correct), and unless you are standing within 5 feet of the repair and looking directly at it you will never notice it.
    I concur with this.

The hail made one hole in my vinyl siding (actually the vertical trim on the outside corner of my siding) and I elected to glue a 1 foot piece over the hole. As 5.9 stated, you can't tell unless you are standing pretty close.

Also, to replace the outside corner piece, I would have had to loosen the siding on both walls approximately 4 or 5 feet back from the corner for the entire 8 foot high piece of damaged corner trim. And then, since my siding is 13 years old, that single 8 foot piece of new (slightly darker) trim would stand out way more than the 1 foot patch does.

My Ride

Replacement (in whole or in part) of the damaged siding would be my first option but the problem is getting a colour match. The house is almost five years old and I've heard that siding companies change colours & patterns often (almost annually). This side of the house get direct sun all day long so even if I had a section of the original stuff (or could still buy it) I'm guessing the colour has faded to some degree and would not match. This wouldn't be such an issue if the damage was on the back or on the other side but this is on the open side of the house (we're on a corner lot) facing the street & sidewalk. Everyone that goes buy is 15 - 20 feet away and it's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

Why not take some of the siding off the side that doesn't get seen and put the damaged pieces on that side and then do the patch idea? You will get your color match and the side that isn't seen won't be an issue. This gets rid of both problems-new seams and the color match.

My Ride

Default Re: hmm

Originally posted by gram
    Why not take some of the siding off the side that doesn't get seen and put the damaged pieces on that side and then do the patch idea? You will get your color match and the side that isn't seen won't be an issue. This gets rid of both problems-new seams and the color match.
    I can't believe I didn't think of that That's a great idea.

Can a guy buy siding at Home Depot or some such place?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I can't believe I didn't think of that That's a great idea.

Can a guy buy siding at Home Depot or some such place?
    I found the stuff a lowes was a better match to my existing siding.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    335i

Any other suggestions on where to buy siding? I went to HD and Lowes and the selection wasn't great. I need a color match for about 5 pieces on a 10-year old house. Doubt I'll find a match but its worth a try.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default siding

Hey WeaponR,

You actually have to figure out who made your siding. Vinyl siding isn't as easy as just buying/replacing. Depending on how old your siding is it can be a pain. A lot of the manufactures put their brand on the siding (if you know what a piece of siding looks like it helps) but on the nailing edge you *should* see a brand. Then the best idea is to simply search for someone that supplies that brand in Calgary. Siding can be all different sizes/shapes/profiles so going to a place like Home Depot/Lowes probably won't help you.