Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Originally posted by flipstah

Was she hot? And 17$?!

It was likely a pound, $17 is not unheard of, nor very crazy when you get in to super high quality coffee beans.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

I duno if this has been mentioned, but the Starbucks in the Bow Building has the Starbucks Reserve Coffee, brewed with the Clover machine. It's more expensive than a regular drip coffee ($4.15 for a tall) but the coffee itself is really good. I believe this location is the only one in Calgary, but definitely worth checking out!

On a sadder note, I broke my Chemex on the weekend

I'ts easy to pay $40+/lb when you get into the really good coffee. Not saying it's worth it for most people, but $17 isn't bad even for a half pound if it was really good stuff (i.e. 100% Kona Peaberry).

Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5
    I duno if this has been mentioned, but the Starbucks in the Bow Building has the Starbucks Reserve Coffee, brewed with the Clover machine. It's more expensive than a regular drip coffee ($4.15 for a tall) but the coffee itself is really good. I believe this location is the only one in Calgary, but definitely worth checking out!

You can get better (IMO) coffee made in a french press at Cafe Artegiano without paying the Starbucks premium if you like that sort of thing
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-13-2014 at 02:07 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5

Artigianos also has the Clover machine, great drip coffee

Originally posted by Canmorite

Artigianos also has the Clover machine, great drip coffee
    The Clover machine is great. That's also why I think the Breville YouBrew is so good, it's basically a simplified version of a Clover machine. Best (home) "drip" coffee I've had by a mile - kind of a merge between a french press and a drip machine.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-13-2014 at 02:43 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I can't remember the size now, probably 1lb. I've paid $20+ to have Kona coffee shipped but that's pushing it.

There comes a point where you need to evaluate if you're tasting better beans and brewing, or you're paying extra for psychological satisfaction.

I heard something the other day about a red wine test that had the same wine in all three bottles and the most expensive looking one tasted the best lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    I can't remember the size now, probably 1lb. I've paid $20+ to have Kona coffee shipped but that's pushing it.

There comes a point where you need to evaluate if you're tasting better beans and brewing, or you're paying extra for psychological satisfaction.

I heard something the other day about a red wine test that had the same wine in all three bottles and the most expensive looking one tasted the best lol.
    The tricky thing with Kona coffee is buying "100% Kona" means very little. Lots of places sell "100% Kona" for cheap, which is actually just the reject beans from all the legit plantations. They can still call it 100% Kona, no matter how bad it is, as long as it's grown there.

You want something like a 100% Kona Extra Fancy or Peaberry, and if you buy from a reputable plantation, that will probably run you closer to $30-40/lb unless you buy bulk.

The coffee industry plays lots of games, just like everyone else. To your point about actually being able to taste the difference, I agree completely, there is a point where it probably isn't worth it for most people. On most of the plantation tours I've been on in Hawaii, I usually find the differences pretty subtle between the regular and the high end stuff, so I often buy somewhere in the middle, or whatever flavor I like best.

It's just like anything else, wine, speaker cables, etc. There is a huge psychological factor after a certain point, especially when money is involved. I find the biggest difference by far to be is how it's brewed. I'd rather have a $10 bag of kicking horse that has been ground fresh and brewed properly than 100% Kona Peaberry in a cheap drip machine.

I totally believe that wine test haha. Reminds me of the test I read where self proclaimed audiophiles couldn't tell the difference between a coat hanger and $5000 speaker cables in a blind test.

To date, by far the worst coffee I have ever had is the regular drip stuff from Starbucks and Tim Hortons haha.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Going to put in some of my views since I drink coffee like its an art. or so i think I do.

Best coffee I drink on a regular bases is Fratello Competition blend. Though I haven't been up in that area so have not had it in a few months. Amazing coffee with so much flavor. The people at the roaster are very friendly and the manager will come out and make you a coffee if you really want it. They have a jar to donate to coffee kids, which I usually put in a few bucks.

My wife likes a bit of a darker roast. The dark roast from Salt spring island roasters is pretty good. You can buy it in Costco which makes it a really good deal.

My coworker brought me some Cuban coffee which is good, but strong. I reminds me of some of the coffee we had in Europe.

When I was in Kona I bought a huge bag of Peaberry. I loved it so much, but hard to get here in Canada.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Cafe Volcaniks has a 15% off coupon if anyone else wants to get some stuff. Otherwise their discount code is 'chocolate'

http://www.cafesvolcanik.com/en/

They sell the famous Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee which I'm willing to try a bag of. Actually it looks like free shipping so no group but necessary.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

motherfuckers took our flavia packs & machines and now we have k cups. the state of the economy is really starting to take its toll here.

Originally posted by msommers
    Cafe Volcaniks has a 15% off coupon if anyone else wants to get some stuff. Otherwise their discount code is 'chocolate'

http://www.cafesvolcanik.com/en/

They sell the famous Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee which I'm willing to try a bag of. Actually it looks like free shipping so no group but necessary.
    Is there a way to tell what their Kona Coffee is? There are several grades below Peaberry and I don't see them listed. Anytime something is simply listed as "100% Kona" it's a bit of a red flag, because they might just be buying up all the reject beans so they can throw the high profile name on it. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's weird they don't say what type of bean it is unless maybe I missed it.

With the Jamaican Blue Mountain, you might as well spend the extra $6 for Peaberry so you at least know what you're getting.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm not sure, Mark. I'd just send them an email.

I tried a combo pack of 1 Kona and 1 Jamaican.
    Ultracrepidarian

I've been getting my beans from Monogram. I've tried the few single origin beans they are offering. Does anyone know a site where I can get a variety of single origin, especially cup of excellence beans?

Heads up, Earth Day is coming up and you know what that means:

Free Starbucks if you bring in your washable mug (now with 16 ounce limit)

http://o.canada.com/news/oddities/ma...t-big-gulp-mug
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-20-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by sl888
    I've been getting my beans from Monogram. I've tried the few single origin beans they are offering. Does anyone know a site where I can get a variety of single origin, especially cup of excellence beans?
    Monogram is still using Transcend beans aren't they? I know they were going to start roasting their own at some point but I think they're still buying from Transcend in Edmonton for now.

The beans Ben just used at WBC were from Transcend. I know that.

I've been buying my green beans from Transcend for over a year now, free shipping on 5lb bags.
    Last edited by megavolt; 04-20-2015 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Yep. I've been buying my beans from Monogram the last few weeks and they all say "Roasted in collaboration with Transcend Coffee" on them.

Had to start bringing my coffee up to site and making it myself in an Aeropress as the coffee they provide is borderline undrinkable. It'll go through you in about 20 mins.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

I picked up a bag of Organic Rwanda Roast from Cafe Artigiano and it is amazing. One of the most flavorful coffee's I've had (real flavors, not burnt flavor like Starbucks/Tims haha). I'll definitely be buying more.

Originally posted by zaider
    Yep. I've been buying my beans from Monogram the last few weeks and they all say "Roasted in collaboration with Transcend Coffee" on them.

Had to start bringing my coffee up to site and making it myself in an Aeropress as the coffee they provide is borderline undrinkable. It'll go through you in about 20 mins.
    I just got an Aeropress. Loving it so far. So quick and clean up is easy. Haven't touched my french press or Chemex since.

Originally posted by megavolt

Monogram is still using Transcend beans aren't they? I know they were going to start roasting their own at some point but I think they're still buying from Transcend in Edmonton for now.

The beans Ben just used at WBC were from Transcend. I know that.

I've been buying my green beans from Transcend for over a year now, free shipping on 5lb bags.
    What are you using to roast at home? I'd love to get into roasting but it's a whole other area I don't wanna get into right now.

Got the cold drip going!

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Any places to recommend for espresso beans in town? Been buying from Phil & Sebastian as of late

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast