Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

This thread makes me glad I'm not a huge fan of espresso I can appreciate the work that goes into making a perfect shot though.

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Thanks for all the replies. I have a burr grinder that I can adjust the amount of grinds as well as how fine I grind them. Not top of the line, but not a low end one either. the Espresso maker is a low end, I have to manually start and stop the brewing process. I fill and tamp the grinds in the 2 shot portion, and then let them fill the cups supplied, takes around 30 seconds for the cups to fill. Pour them into the cup and top up with hot water- I will continue to mess around with different coffees and process', I think I almost prefer the french press still, makes a great cup of coffee...

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Originally posted by aaronck
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a burr grinder that I can adjust the amount of grinds as well as how fine I grind them. Not top of the line, but not a low end one either. the Espresso maker is a low end, I have to manually start and stop the brewing process. I fill and tamp the grinds in the 2 shot portion, and then let them fill the cups supplied, takes around 30 seconds for the cups to fill. Pour them into the cup and top up with hot water- I will continue to mess around with different coffees and process', I think I almost prefer the french press still, makes a great cup of coffee...
    Depending on the size of cup you are using you are effectively only putting one shot in and that could be the reason for watered down taste.

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Originally posted by USED1

Depending on the size of cup you are using you are effectively only putting one shot in and that could be the reason for watered down taste.
    Thanks, the Brevelle came with 3 inserts for gounds, single cup, 2 cup and one for expresso pods. I use the 2 cup. I let it run a little longer this morning, and it seems to be better. I think I will try changing beans next...Are the Italian beans good?

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Beans are such a personal preference... but everyone seems to like Phil and Sebastiens. I drinking the kicking horse espresso blend right now, and I like it. Not as good as P&S, or other local roasters I'm sure.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by aaronck
    Thanks, the Brevelle came with 3 inserts for gounds, single cup, 2 cup and one for expresso pods. I use the 2 cup. I let it run a little longer this morning, and it seems to be better. I think I will try changing beans next...Are the Italian beans good?
    Definitely keep playing around with grind fineness, dose, and shot timing.

The problem with Italian beans is that anything you buy off of a store shelf is already stale. Try out some beans from local roasters that mark their beans with a roast date (and not a best before date). Buy beans that have been roasted within the last 2 weeks (~4 weeks max).
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    Beans are such a personal preference...

Originally posted by Strider
    The problem with Italian beans is that anything you buy off of a store shelf is already stale.....Buy beans that have been roasted within the last 2 weeks (~4 weeks max).

Monogram Coffee I've heard has nice beans too. Their website is a total piece of useless garbage though
    Last edited by msommers; 06-23-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    This thread makes me glad I'm not a huge fan of espresso I can appreciate the work that goes into making a perfect shot though.
    I thought the geekiness & level of OCD would be right up your alley

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    Beans are such a personal preference... but everyone seems to like Phil and Sebastiens. I drinking the kicking horse espresso blend right now, and I like it. Not as good as P&S, or other local roasters I'm sure.
    This.

I love my P&S beans, but my sister finds the espresso too bright. She prefers a more traditional (dark roasted) espresso and buys hers from Cappuccino King. Intelligentsia Black Cat is a great benchmark / middle ground.

Like all other off the shelf bags, I've never found a bag of Kicking Horse that was fresh.
    Last edited by Strider; 06-23-2016 at 09:53 AM.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Just noticed the Airscape is selling for $30 at espressoplanet if anyone is looking still. Free shipping too!

http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee...Container.html

I thought the geekiness & level of OCD would be right up your alley

I tried to go the french press route, got a decent grinder, special kettle, etc. and for how often I make coffee at home it was just a pain. My Breville YouBrew makes a better cup than I ever made with my press and all I have to do is push one button. You're right though, usually I'm into this sort of thing haha. Never been a fan of espresso though, so I have never gone down that road.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by msommers
    Monogram Coffee I've heard has nice beans too.
    Transcend in Edmonton roasts Monogram's beans (don't know if they source them too). Their espresso is too acidic for my liking - sipping an americano from the FAP location right now and there's a dominant citrusy lemon peel note.

One of the co-founders is currently #1 at the World Barista Championships though, so they're definitely onto something.

And $20 for a 3/4lb bag of beans is getting a bit outrageous.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah it's completely ridiculous. The wholesale price is about $20/2lb bag lol. I really like Transcend espressos but that's just the beans.

Bows & Arrows is another I've seen around, I think they're out of Vancouver.

Analog/Fratello had a bag of dark cherry I used for french press. So. Damn. Good. But after a bag I was ready for something else since it's so dominant. Worth a try though!
    Ultracrepidarian

You guys should try the Carlin's Geisha at P&S. Very unique taste. It's $10 a cup or $48 for a 1/2lb bag. The beans are preorder only.
    Matchstick is a good option for beans. They're out of Vancouver. Shipping is only $5.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by sl888
    It's $10 a cup or $48 for a 1/2lb bag.
    What in the hell?!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Originally posted by sl888
    It's $10 a cup or $48 for a 1/2lb bag. Th
    This thread got all twist turned upside-down.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    TDI

Transcend in Edmonton roasts Monogram's beans (don't know if they source them too). Their espresso is too acidic for my liking - sipping an americano from the FAP location right now and there's a dominant citrusy lemon peel note.

One of the co-founders is currently #1 at the World Barista Championships though, so they're definitely onto something.
    You can't generalize Transcend/Monogram's espresso as too acidic, it all depends on the beans.

You probably had the Gathaithi AA Kenyan if it was within the past couple of days (think I saw them selling bags of it at their downtown location).

My wife also doesn't like African beans as they tend to be on the juicy/citrisy end of the spectrum. I usually buy the central/south american green beans from Transcend and roast them weekly (got a few friends at work that I supply as well).

And Ben ended up coming in 3rd at the World Barista Championship again (he placed 3rd last year as well).

My Ride
    TDI

Originally posted by megavolt
    You can't generalize Transcend/Monogram's espresso as too acidic, it all depends on the beans.
    That being said, I believe the target market of Monogram/P&S (read hipster) for their in-store espresso shots prefer this type of profile (or at least they think they do). :P

Don't know if Monogram uses different beans for lattes but they might be more on the smooth/chocolate side of the tasting spectrum.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by megavolt

You probably had the Gathaithi AA Kenyan if it was within the past couple of days (think I saw them selling bags of it at their downtown location).

My wife also doesn't like African beans as they tend to be on the juicy/citrisy end of the spectrum. I usually buy the central/south american green beans from Transcend and roast them weekly (got a few friends at work that I supply as well).

And Ben ended up coming in 3rd at the World Barista Championship again (he placed 3rd last year as well).
    Interesting, I didn't know they rotated the espresso beans at the bar. I've had a few americanos there though, spread out from when they first opened downtown all the way up until last week, and found it rather acidic each time. Will have to ask them about the beans next time (I do enjoy the cappuccinos and lattes there).

My Ride
    TDI

Well... like I said I don't know if they do. Some shops have separate beans/grinders for espressos/lattes.

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

At P&S, they will profile each single origin espresso for shots or milk drinks. The direction I was given was shorter shots for milk drinks, a starting point being 19 g dose, 25 second pull, ending with a 25 g shot to build a milk drink with. For a straight shot, 19 g dose, 35 second pull, 40 g shot. Each coffee varies from there, and the baristas in the cafes are trained on each coffee what times and weights they are targeting. I'm pretty sure the system they have at the Simmons cafe automates a lot of the profiles.

Being an engineer, Phil is a bit of a fanatic about data and reproducibility. He really wants each roast and each drink to have a consistent flavor and they try to control all the variables. Fun to learn about.

Source: I'm just finishing up a few months of working on a project with P&S. I've learned tons about coffee in the process. Like everyone I have ever met in the coffee world, they are great people who are very eager to share knowledge.

Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast