Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 41 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    killer, try this dudes procedure. I think his equipment is under $50 total.
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/362...85#post4937285
    Pfffffff... you wish pal, the key to good coffee: Ode grinder

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think people have very much mistaken my coffee needs, more quantity than quality.

So those moccamaster things are generally around 400 bucks?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

that Ode grinder is pure sex. Very much like.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

I think people have very much mistaken my coffee needs, more quantity than quality.
    Yeah, same. I thought I wanted quality, then I realized that I actually didn't care that much. I'm happy with decent quality coffee, and a nice machine to make it. +1 for it being quite fast. The only way to get faster would be to use a Bunn model that keeps the water hot 24/7.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Yeah, same. I thought I wanted quality, then I realized that I actually didn't care that much. I'm happy with decent quality coffee, and a nice machine to make it. +1 for it being quite fast. The only way to get faster would be to use a Bunn model that keeps the water hot 24/7.
    +1

I originally had the coffee maker in my office at my old job. That was more about quantity during the week for myself and guests in my office. I do the fancy stuff at home on the weekend when I have the time.

I originally got it because no one cleaned the Bunn model that was in our kitchen, so the coffee got gross over time, on top of the kitchen was a fair walk and the people on that walk just would never shut up.

What do I need to buy for this witchcraft, is there more involved that pressing the make button on my Nespresso?

Do people use coffee makers anymore? I think I still remember my days at Starbucks.
    I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the Breville The Grind machine is worth looking into. It has a hopper on top where you put whole beans in and it grinds them fresh when you make a pot. Once you get your settings dialed in based on your preferences, guaranteed to get a nice cup of coffee consistently every time.

One thing I like about the Breville machine is that it doesn't have a warmer on the bottom, so it avoids that burnt taste that sometimes you get from leaving a pot on the warmer for too long. Another nice thing is that it has a single cup mode so if you just want to fill up your mug and go without making a full pot, it does that well too. With single cup mode it's smart enough to let the warm water steep in the coffee before releasing it into the mug, so it's not the same as just making a pot but only adding enough water for 1 or 2 cups.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's been reliably making at least one pot of coffee every day. If it breaks i'm buying the same model again because it's that good.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the Breville The Grind machine is worth looking into. It has a hopper on top where you put whole beans in and it grinds them fresh when you make a pot. Once you get your settings dialed in based on your preferences, guaranteed to get a nice cup of coffee consistently every time.

One thing I like about the Breville machine is that it doesn't have a warmer on the bottom, so it avoids that burnt taste that sometimes you get from leaving a pot on the warmer for too long. Another nice thing is that it has a single cup mode so if you just want to fill up your mug and go without making a full pot, it does that well too. With single cup mode it's smart enough to let the warm water steep in the coffee before releasing it into the mug, so it's not the same as just making a pot but only adding enough water for 1 or 2 cups.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's been reliably making at least one pot of coffee every day. If it breaks i'm buying the same model again because it's that good.
    Breville BDC650BSS The Grind Control Drip Coffee Maker, Silver, Medium https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VGGVQCI/...XAHHPZE8ABY5DZ

Something like this?

I like the idea that it has a built in grinder because I don’t own one so this is actually cheaper.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Yup that’s the one. For some reason I thought it was closer to $250 but even at $370 it’s still worth it IMO if you use it every day. I got mine with air miles when they had a sale but definitely would buy it again for cash after having used it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Looks like a good candidate for a bed bath and beyond coupon, my wife seems to always have these so I’ll keep an eye out.

fact.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Get the technivorm @cjblair got if you want simplicity and reliability or a Breville precision if you're willing to trade reliability for control over brew parameters.
    Don't skimp on a grinder.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Who knew coffee was so complicated.

fact.

My Ride
    Silverado

Moccamaster eh?

I’ll Google.
    Ive had a mochmaster with the insulated carafe for about 7-8 years now. Thousands of cycles. Still works as new. Carafe can keep half a pot warm for 4 hours nicely. I like that the coffee is consistent if you make 2 cups or 10. Very fast to brew

My Ride
    Silverado

Speaking of quantity over quality.. I get 5 lbs of beans for $72 every 6 weeks from a local firefighter. Free delivery too. Local five21. Not as fancy as a lot of the things mentioned here but better than kicking horse for sure.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Fired up another 6-month subscription with Rightside Roasters out of Barcelona.

1kg/month for 160 Euros (shipped within Spain). I thought it was good value last year and they've stepped up their marketing game this year (new bags / notes on the beans).

Name:  original_565d2175-cfcc-4c58-bf50-7681b3562fe6_IMG_20210212_190015.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  85.5 KB

Been a long time owner of Nespresso and mid/low grade espresso machines... Parents owned a couple Cafe's in Winnipeg but I was at an age where I didn't appreciate the boutique roasters and the process.

Loved and used Nespresso for the last few years - but the amount I'm drinking now that I'm home (though still cheaper than going to the +15 cafes) is bordering on uneconomical and now I have the time to actually go through the process of making Espresso. My fav Nespresso caps are: Ristretto, Dharkan and Columbia - I also found Nespressoto taste more like a more intense coffee but was missing the texture/acidity/intensity of a real pull.

Then I took out the old Delonghi all in one and the old Breville Duo-temp and was like hum... this is "ok", maybe better than Nespresso but no matter how I ground the coffee, it kinda seemed just "ok" - never nearly as great as something at a good Cafe. In fact the reason why I bought the Duo-temp was because I thought the Delonghi may have been an inferior product (both are 15 bar)

Anyways realized now its all about the porta filter baskets. These stupid units both come with "pressurized" dual wall baskets, which basically takes the stupid out of the grind and tamping accuracy - but then makes an "ok" pull of espresso with artificial crema. No matter how fine or course I went, I just never found my coffee great... Yes different coffee tasted different, but I could never mimic a pull from P&S, Artigiano, even good earth

Ordered me a couple 51mm single wall - double non-pressurized porta filter and baskets and voila... well not voila, as it took about an hour to go through the different grinds and tamping pressures, but then I was able to actually re-create what I considered a proper shot you'd get from a Cafe.

Surprisingly..even with the cheap Delonghi all in one - the 51mm non-pressurized portafilter tasted really good, so its going to the Cottage.

For coffee.. I'm a fan of 454 from Kicking Horse, and I also go for bull rider from Fratelo's locally here... what do you guys use?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 03-02-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    Been a long time owner of Nespresso and mid/low grade espresso machines... Parents owned a couple Cafe's in Winnipeg but I was at an age where I didn't appreciate the boutique roasters and the process.

Loved and used Nespresso for the last few years - but the amount I'm drinking now that I'm home (though still cheaper than going to the +15 cafes) is bordering on uneconomical and now I have the time to actually go through the process of making Espresso. My fav Nespresso caps are: Ristretto, Dharkan and Columbia - I also found Nespressoto taste more like a more intense coffee but was missing the texture/acidity/intensity of a real pull.

Then I took out the old Delonghi all in one and the old Breville Duo-temp and was like hum... this is "ok", maybe better than Nespresso but no matter how I ground the coffee, it kinda seemed just "ok" - never nearly as great as something at a good Cafe. In fact the reason why I bought the Duo-temp was because I thought the Delonghi may have been an inferior product (both are 15 bar)

Anyways realized now its all about the porta filter baskets. These stupid units both come with "pressurized" dual wall baskets, which basically takes the stupid out of the grind and tamping accuracy - but then makes an "ok" pull of espresso with artificial crema. No matter how fine or course I went, I just never found my coffee great... Yes different coffee tasted different, but I could never mimic a pull from P&S, Artigiano, even good earth

Ordered me a couple 51mm single wall - double non-pressurized porta filter and baskets and voila... well not voila, as it took about an hour to go through the different grinds and tamping pressures, but then I was able to actually re-create what I considered a proper shot you'd get from a Cafe.

Surprisingly..even with the cheap Delonghi all in one - the 51mm non-pressurized portafilter tasted really good, so its going to the Cottage.

For coffee.. I'm a fan of 454 from Kicking Horse, and I also go for bull rider from Fratelo's locally here... what do you guys use?
    I did the same for the Delonghi Dedica I got for cheap. Upgrade described here: http://toolsandtoys.net/guides/makin...resso-machine/

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Signed up for 5 bags of monogram every 6 weeks during their... Black Friday? Sale... best $40 ever, now it’s back up to $80, still worth it. Great coffees, did some cold brewing (well, “warm brew” alla sous vide) over the weekend, been sipping some very good cold (is iced the right word? Probably not) coffee this week in the afternoons

Didn’t want to waste the good beans with an experiment... but also did a 4:1 cold brew concentrate out of some Costco beans, damn handy. Just dilute to 16:1 with hot water, done. Great for busy mornings

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just paid 40 bucks for 2 bags of Monogram so that sounds awesome.

My update. I just borrowed a standard coffee maker from my mother than she never uses. Just in time to be going back back to the office lol.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    I did the same for the Delonghi Dedica I got for cheap. Upgrade described here: http://toolsandtoys.net/guides/makin...resso-machine/
    didn't even realize until my wife looked at the portafilter (used to barista at my Dad's shop) and was like... why/what is this?

Thinking about this now.. honest, other than maybe a back flow to remove excess moisture from a puck - I think even the cheapest Delonghi or Breville or Cusineart can do the job as long as it can push 15bar and proper temperature with the right basket or bottomless portafilter (they look so cool)

The long and short of it - its really all about the Burr grinder

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

What you really need is one of these:

https://eightouncecoffee.ca/collecti...e-holder-black

Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast