Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 42 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Working on this now, missed having it as a daily drinker since Costco stopped selling it a while back.

Name:  1BC47578-43A2-4C18-9C20-953C424F863D.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  53.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Working on this now, missed having it as a daily drinker since Costco stopped selling it a while back.

Name:  1BC47578-43A2-4C18-9C20-953C424F863D.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  53.7 KB
    just gotta get back out to Hawaii

Anyone into cold brew? I made my first one yesterday and I am absolutely hooked, I am going to be drinking gallons of that stuff all summer. I used the crappiest coffee we bought for baking and yolo'd the ratio and I still loved it. Going to pick up some much better beans later this week.

My Ride
    V8s

Anyone have recs for good coffee, perhaps more freshly roasted that's <$20/lb? We've been buying superstore stuff that's actually pretty decent and inexpensive, but I got a few lb of free coffee from Coast to Coast recently and idk if I can go back to shitty grocery store stuff... but I also don't want to pay >$20/lb.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Check out mount pleasant. $10/lb usually roasted 1-3 days earlier. Varieties change daily. Looks like you can order online. I just buy out of the box on the fence.
    http://mountpleasantroastery.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Anyone have recs for good coffee, perhaps more freshly roasted that's <$20/lb? We've been buying superstore stuff that's actually pretty decent and inexpensive, but I got a few lb of free coffee from Coast to Coast recently and idk if I can go back to shitty grocery store stuff... but I also don't want to pay >$20/lb.
    Monogram, as little as $80/5 bags if you do subscription, direct from them the bags are always super fresh, usually roasted a day or two before they’re delivered

My Ride
    V8s

Wonderful. Thanks guys.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m not a massive coffee nerd. Bought one of those big 2-2.5lbish salt spring coffee bags from Costco for 16 bucks which seems like Good quality compromise for me. Been grinding fresh and store the beans sealed in a Tupperware.

Bought a few bags from monogram (ridiculous cost face value I think I paid $40 bucks for 2 small bags and lasted me like 9 days...) find it very hard to get a cup of their coffee right for me. There is an acidic/sour nature to their flavour that I have a hard time grinding/brewing out. I think I made one pot of theirs that I really liked. I have the same issue when I get their brewed coffee so maybe I just don’t like their coffee, I end up creaming the shit out of it.

The salt spring Costco stuff I bought seems to have a more familiar earthy flavour to me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Anyone into cold brew? I made my first one yesterday and I am absolutely hooked, I am going to be drinking gallons of that stuff all summer. I used the crappiest coffee we bought for baking and yolo'd the ratio and I still loved it. Going to pick up some much better beans later this week.
    I've been making it during summer for the last few years, but I don't have a proper setup so it's a bit tedious and I don't make it too often. Still is really nice on a hot day. I need to get a proper setup this year.

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    I've been making it during summer for the last few years, but I don't have a proper setup so it's a bit tedious and I don't make it too often. Still is really nice on a hot day. I need to get a proper setup this year.
    I grabbed one of these, dirt cheap and #1 recommended on WireCutter so I thought it would be good for me to experiment with:

https://www.amazon.ca/Primula-Burke-...7050197&sr=8-6

The mesh is super fine so you can use store-bought grounds rather than French-pressed sized grounds and not have to re-filter after. Very easy to clean as well, the bottom of the grinds basket screws off.

EDIT: This wasn't on sale yesterday, can't beat $15: https://www.amazon.ca/Primula-Burke-...97&sr=8-6&th=1
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-29-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Try Ethical Beans Lush if you haven’t already. Everyone is obviously different, but I went through a phase where I sampled a lot of different types including expensive ones and always went back to Lush. I do cream and sugar tho, so if you drink it black it’s probably a different ballgame.

Big bag at Costco for 16.99 and sometimes on sale for 13.49.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I’m not a massive coffee nerd. Bought one of those big 2-2.5lbish salt spring coffee bags from Costco for 16 bucks which seems like Good quality compromise for me. Been grinding fresh and store the beans sealed in a Tupperware.

Bought a few bags from monogram (ridiculous cost face value I think I paid $40 bucks for 2 small bags and lasted me like 9 days...) find it very hard to get a cup of their coffee right for me. There is an acidic/sour nature to their flavour that I have a hard time grinding/brewing out. I think I made one pot of theirs that I really liked. I have the same issue when I get their brewed coffee so maybe I just don’t like their coffee, I end up creaming the shit out of it.

The salt spring Costco stuff I bought seems to have a more familiar earthy flavour to me.
    You might not like bright/acidic coffee then. I'd get a drip coffee from the store to see if it's your jam.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I grabbed one of these, dirt cheap and #1 recommended on WireCutter so I thought it would be good for me to experiment with:

https://www.amazon.ca/Primula-Burke-...7050197&sr=8-6

The mesh is super fine so you can use store-bought grounds rather than French-pressed sized grounds and not have to re-filter after. Very easy to clean as well, the bottom of the grinds basket screws off.

EDIT: This wasn't on sale yesterday, can't beat $15: https://www.amazon.ca/Primula-Burke-...97&sr=8-6&th=1
    Thanks, been eyeing this for a while. Ordered one

Any go to ratios to make a good cold brew?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    You might not like bright/acidic coffee then. I'd get a drip coffee from the store to see if it's your jam.
    Yea I think that’s basically where I am getting to with them. Not that like like my coffee roasted to within an inch of its life either, just a happy medium.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yea I think that’s basically where I am getting to with them. Not that like like my coffee roasted to within an inch of its life either, just a happy medium.
    Have to know your stuff with monogram if you’re not a fan of that profile... they do have more “traditional” tasting beans, but hell if I know which combo of origin/wash/fermentation leads to what

With the subscription I’d say it’s a 60/40 blend with 60 being that bright/acidic profile

Tried salt spring once, think ethical wins for Costco beans... little too muddy for my liking, but I am a fan of more acidic beans; but I drink it black, had one monogram bean so acidic it actually curdled the cream the GF added to it

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ethical lush is good for cheapie beans. So is the pink bag at superstore. Roughly same price.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

picked up a bag of cappuccino king "Forte"

This is surprisingly good stuff... I use a basic Breville Dual Temp, Dose control Grinder with single wall portafilter...

set the grinder to about 6 (up from 5.5 from my Kickinghorse 454) and this stuff is spectacular.

support local and its quite affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Thanks, been eyeing this for a while. Ordered one

Any go to ratios to make a good cold brew?
    Obviously it's to your preference, but generally speaking:

8:1 (water:coffee) for ready-to-drink cold brew. I did 10:1 with a finer grind and it ended up plenty strong for me after about ~14hr, and by ~24hr it had very noticeably more flavor. 100g of coffee is a surprising amount and is about all the filter basket can take on that particular unit. Make sure you add water very slowly and I took the end of a spoon and agitated the grounds a bit to make sure there is full water coverage. The mesh is very fine though so you can use a finer ground no problem without having to filter it before drinking. The ratios are weight based, and 1ml of water = 1gram so it's easy. I wouldn't recommend using traditional measurements (i.e. 1cup grounds to 4 cups water) as it's almost impossible to be accurate. The pitcher you bought is right around 1L so 100g of coffee would be 10:1 when full of water.

4:1 for concentrate (for adding milk or diluting with water to taste)

As for time in the fridge, anywhere from 12-24 hours depending on how much flavor you want and how fine the grounds you used were - coarser grounds have less surface area and therefore will require a longer time to get the same result. The time in the fridge is pretty forgiving, and leaving it in longer doesn't change strength or caffeine, only flavor. It's definitely something you will need to experiment with a bit to your personal tastes. You will lose a bit of volume as the grounds will absorb some water but it's not a lot.

You can also make it on the counter at room temperature and put it in the fridge later but apparently it isn't quite as smooth (I've only tried Fridge method).

I picked up an Ethiopian Masha Sidamo bean from the Roasterie in Kensington and they were very helpful and ground it for free - I loved the batch I made with garbage Safeway coffee so I'm really looking forward to this next batch. Zero detectable bitterness or acidity compared to a hot brew. It stays good in the fridge for about a week, just pull out the filter basket when it's at your desired flavor or transfer it to a different container and start your next brew.

Also note that the bottom of the filter basket screws off so you can dump the grounds in the garbage when you're done, and any leftover residue rinses off the filter super easy - you do not want that many coffee grounds going down your sink.

If all goes well and I don't grow tired of it (doubt I will) I will probably add one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Nitro-Coffee-M...7075431&sr=8-8
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-29-2021 at 09:40 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Cold brew in the sous vide is the way to go, 150C for 2hr... 4:1 is handy for storage and if you want to have it warm (just dilute with hot water and gtg), but I find your yield as a percentage is pretty low as the spent grinds retain a lot of liquid. Usually I only do that with cheapy Costco beans, keep the good stuff to 8:1

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Cold brew in the sous vide is the way to go, 150C for 2hr... 4:1 is handy for storage and if you want to have it warm (just dilute with hot water and gtg), but I find your yield as a percentage is pretty low as the spent grinds retain a lot of liquid. Usually I only do that with cheapy Costco beans, keep the good stuff to 8:1
    How is that a cold brew and how are you getting water to 150C?

Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast