Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Those of you who like kicking horse, it's now on a on prime for $9.99/lb. That's as cheap as I've ever seen it in store.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Those of you who like kicking horse, it's now on a on prime for $9.99/lb. That's as cheap as I've ever seen it in store.
    Goes on sale several times a year for that, but it's a good deal. Good time to stock up if you're a fan. I like KH but the grocery stores that sell it almost never carry lighter roasts, always medium, bold, and extra bold.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Light roast is harder to find for sure. I stick with the purple bag at superstore for $12/kg when it goes on sale, or at most $15/kg regular price. I keep wondering if I should try some better beans, but I haven't.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Just ordered the breville dual boiler to replace my 7yr old barista express. It's time to upgrade. The old unit is still working fine. It'll take it to the office.

It's no Italian stallion but it's got all the bells and whistles. Plus Aussies know their coffee.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ran out of beans and wasn't feeling like visiting superstore, so grabbed these at Safeway for $9.99
    Name:  20190403_064136~2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  78.2 KB

Don't prefer these over my normal purple bag of light roast. Not detecting any "notes" of anything.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ive been pretty ghetto and doing the 3lb bag of Java Club from costco.. hard to complain at $15 for 3 lbs.... good coffee for weekends

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I've been part of a coffee club from a roaster located in big island Hawaii, been getting a variety of fresh roasted kona, ka'u, maui, etc beans delivered each month. Pricey but it's some of the best coffee I've ever had and fun to try something new and different roasts each month.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I've been part of a coffee club from a roaster located in big island Hawaii, been getting a variety of fresh roasted kona, ka'u, maui, etc beans delivered each month. Pricey but it's some of the best coffee I've ever had and fun to try something new and different roasts each month.
    Simply being fresh makes probably half the difference haha. Most coffee you find in the store is super old. Hawaii coffee is the best though - I used to order fresh 100% peberry Kona coffee and that is still the best I've ever had. Too expensive to keep it up with the amount of coffee I like to drink though!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Simply being fresh makes probably half the difference haha. Most coffee you find in the store is super old. Hawaii coffee is the best though - I used to order fresh 100% peberry Kona coffee and that is still the best I've ever had. Too expensive to keep it up with the amount of coffee I like to drink though!
    Yeah the Hawaiian beans are weekend coffee for us otherwise it would be gone in a week or so haha. Love me some peaberry, so goooood.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Trying out an order from https://northern-coffee.ca/ since prices have been creeping up where I usually order online. Prices seem almost too good to be true.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Anyone tried Fratello recently? Got a bag of Flora from Coop labelled as Light Roast but this coffee is pure shit. Everything I have tried to adjust, and still end up with coffee that is on par with the Shell gas station. The crema is noticeably darker than P&S and Monogram. Use a pour over method.

Are Fratello and Analog now two different grades? I thought they were the same company, sort of...Not really sure what separates Analog vs Fratello.
    Last edited by msommers; 05-26-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So for ages I've been saying I couldn't detect the difference between the cheap purple bag from superstore and anything else. Well, just finished a bag of kicking horse Hola, and it totally blew me away. I've had that variety many times before but this bag was different. Very noticeable difference in flavour. Not sure if it was fresher or what, but I even alternated with my cheap beans and the difference remained clear for the entire few weeks it too me to finish it.

Techniques haven't changed. Still grinding each cup fresh and doing a pour-over through my metal filter.

Now I want to try some other better beans. What do you dudes reccomend for a light roast whole bean?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Anyone tried Fratello recently? Got a bag of Flora from Coop labelled as Light Roast but this coffee is pure shit. Everything I have tried to adjust, and still end up with coffee that is on par with the Shell gas station. The crema is noticeably darker than P&S and Monogram. Use a pour over method.

Are Fratello and Analog now two different grades? I thought they were the same company, sort of...Not really sure what separates Analog vs Fratello.
    Fratello is analog, no? As in Fratello is the roaster and analog is their cafe

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's what I thought as well, but I've definitely seen Analog brand coffee bags beside Fratello and the bags themselves are designed significantly different. I should look more closely at the print next time.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Canyonero

Now I want to try some other better beans. What do you dudes reccomend for a light roast whole bean?

If light roast is your jam, I'd say splurge on something like https://theroasterspack.com/ It's definitely a lighter-roast, fruity, drink-it-black focused subscription. My sister bought me a subscription and I really enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Strider what's the verdict on northern coffee? I need to order a few pounds and am curious how your experience was.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    @Strider what's the verdict on northern coffee? I need to order a few pounds and am curious how your experience was.
    Still working my way through the Discovery bag from Northern Coffee (10 coffees, 150g of each), it's taking longer than usual since my wife is currently drinking decaf only.

There's some hits, some misses - but that could certainly be personal preference (I didn't really care for the dark roast Sumatra).
    All the coffee is fresh, uniformly roasted, reasonably sorted whole beans. I haven't opened the light roast Ethiopian Yirgacheffe yet (usually my benchmark) since it's a 2lb bag, but the coffees so far aren't quite as expressive or bright as P&S or Monogram beans... that could be a good or bad thing depending on preference.

I'll probably order from there again when I'm done.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    That's what I thought as well, but I've definitely seen Analog brand coffee bags beside Fratello and the bags themselves are designed significantly different. I should look more closely at the print next time.
    I think they do Analog branded just for the name recognition from people who see them at the Farmers Market and such. Pretty positive it's all coming from the same place

Im still running Fratellos as when it's on sale from Coop its a decent deal. Devil's Head off of south barlow is also good, but not down there very often anymore

My Ride
    Canyonero

Thanks!

My Ride

I tried a few different beans from Fratello, their bullrider is a nice cheaper option for a blend, I enjoyed it with steamed milk.

Also tried their pacas which is good but not for me overall, prefer it via v60/filtered than through my french press. The strawberry flavour comes through too much via press.

Their Guatemala is pretty solid, enjoyed it black through my press, not knock my socks off good for the price but still enjoyed it.

I recommend going to Lukes Drug Mart in Bridgeland to check out their coffee shelf. They usually carry a European roaster. I was there last week and they had The Barn from Berlin in stock. They are regarded as one of the best roasters in the world.

Monogram in Britannia brings in 2 shipments from a guest roaster each month. They currently have Coffee Supreme from down under.

Phil & Sebastian in Mission brings in a guest roaster each Saturday. David Kim, Canada's 2019 Brewer's Champ, is in charge of this program. He's there every Saturday to brew and chat.

Eight Ounce Coffee Supply brings in beans once in a while. They currently have April Coffee from Copenhagen.

I'd say this is a good way to check out different roasters, especially if you wanna try something different from the local scene.

I'm currently subscribed to Tim Wendelboe and Sans. Good stuff but $$$. I have a huge list of roasters I'd like to try so each month I'll do an order. For June, I'm gonna order from Colorado. I'd be happy to split on shipping on orders if anyone is interested.

Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast