Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 25 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Luke's drug mart sounds just my speed. I'll check em out.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recommend going to Lukes Drug Mart in Bridgeland to check out their coffee shelf. They usually carry a European roaster. I was there last week and they had The Barn from Berlin in stock. They are regarded as one of the best roasters in the world.

Monogram in Britannia brings in 2 shipments from a guest roaster each month. They currently have Coffee Supreme from down under.

Phil & Sebastian in Mission brings in a guest roaster each Saturday. David Kim, Canada's 2019 Brewer's Champ, is in charge of this program. He's there every Saturday to brew and chat.

Eight Ounce Coffee Supply brings in beans once in a while. They currently have April Coffee from Copenhagen.

I'd say this is a good way to check out different roasters, especially if you wanna try something different from the local scene.

I'm currently subscribed to Tim Wendelboe and Sans. Good stuff but $$$. I have a huge list of roasters I'd like to try so each month I'll do an order. For June, I'm gonna order from Colorado. I'd be happy to split on shipping on orders if anyone is interested.
    Solid info, thanks due!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So I dropped by Luke's on the weekend and they had a big selection on the coffee shelf. They still have The Barn as well as several others. However, I left empty handed for two reasons. 1) I find the descriptions on the packaging totally confusing. I wanted a light roast, or at least a lighter sounding medium roast. I read most of the packages, and found a lot of adjectives, but none I could even guess at. 2) there weren't prices posted, and I'm no baller. I use price as a key factor in making purchases. Is that odd?

Anyway, guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Luke's does carry the full line of Kicking Horse coffees downstairs in the grocery section. I wasn't in the mood by the time I found that.

My Ride
    V167

So any recommendations re beans for espresso?

I have been using Lavazza Rossa since I found out I love espresso. Looking for a change.

Was using a Moka pot initially, but now we have a built in wall unit that does the job for my day to day use.

Any suggestions appreciated.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So since my personal failure at Luke's, I reverted to Amazon and grabbed both of these:
    Name:  20190609_152611~2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  76.4 KB

Happy with taste, but I'm brutal at describing it. Neither is wildly different from the pink superstore bag, but as they are all light roast, that's not surprising. Need a few more cups of each before I pick a favourite.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Analog Coffee on sale at coop.
    Name:  20190626_104149.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  37.8 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

This coffee from Tofino (of all places) has been the best I've ever had. Ever.
    https://www.tofinocoffeeroasting.com/shop
    Old Growth.

My Ride
    rally pig

started using my moka pot again, go to is still Lavazza Rossa but been drinking it americano so that I have more liquid to drink.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    started using my moka pot again, go to is still Lavazza Rossa but been drinking it americano so that I have more liquid to drink.
    love my moka pots, have a smaller bialetti and a larger no name brand, both work very well. the way the coffee is extracted in the pot is so fascinating to me. currently going through a bag of beans roasted in salt spring BC bought at costco, good flavor but not exceptional.

Mcafe espresso beans are my go to, never have to wait for them to go on sale becuase they are cheap as hell already.

On a kind of related note, Tim's espresso is not bold enough when made into an Americano- I was kind of excited when I seen the grinders. To my heathen palate, there's not a lot of difference between McDonald's Americano's and Starbucks.
    Last edited by WhippWhapp; 06-28-2019 at 05:30 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This Ethiopian bean was on sale, makes a tasty camping cup when I can't find light roast.
    Name:  20190706_101638.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  47.3 KB

For all of you that like McDonald's coffee, when you order with the app you get double credit for free coffees-sticker on the cup and a virtual one in the app.

It's a small bonus, but more free Americano's is never a bad thing in my eyes.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Let's bring the thread title back on course, some of what I've been drinking the past few months

Was a member of big island roasters coffee club for over a year so I tried just about everything they sell and roll through as far as crops over the course of a year, pricey but so good to say the least.

Their Kona was top notch, received it a few times and just an all around balanced and pleasing coffee. Ka'u is rising in popularity and for good reason, great beans coming from this region of the island.
    Name:  flWW8ds.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  36.0 KB

They make espresso bites which are hella tasty, something I'll be buying again. The PK Peaberry was so fucking good, probably top 3 if not top 2 in my books for what I tried over the time, the yellow caturra was pretty good but not up there in my books.

Name:  GKPzf84.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  54.1 KB

These elephant beans were huge in size, super good, I was surprised by how good the notes tasted, it was very well balanced.

Name:  LlwMGGJ.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  23.1 KB

From this batch the harmony was pretty good for a blend, good black or with steamed milk, would buy again but nothing too special. The Maui Mellow was delicious, I was surprised how much I enjoyed these beans, I would probably buy a 2 lb bag and use it for an every day coffee it was so good. The PK beans were crazy floral, literally smelled like flowers and tasted exotic, I liked the beans but not my cup of tea but well worth checking out.

Name:  ZppgF3e.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  36.3 KB

I dropped out of the coffee club for now as I was getting repeats and thought I'd take a break, moved to trying Fratello.

Their pineapple pacas was definitely unique but not for me, literally tastes like strawberry coffee, the strawberry taste was too intense when using a french press but it did taste better through a filter. Bullrider I think is what they offer for filtered coffee in house, it's pretty good, bold and I preferred it with steamed milk over black. The Guat is good...I'm on round 2 of it but it's not anything to write home about in my books, just a solid coffee that's good black.

Name:  NV9zlY7.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  50.5 KB

And my most recent rotation, the guat again which I'm still enjoying. The El Salvador falls under the exotic taste, floral notes, rich flavour but not for me as just a wee bit too floral for my liking. The Moca Arabica blend is actually pretty solid, I prefer it with milk again, good every day/cheaper coffee.

Sorry for the size on the last pic, can only attach 5 pics with the local ability evidently.

Outside of these, I have been drinking Lavazza Rossa which I got for like 13 bucks for a 2lb bag off amazon, it's got a bit of a unique zing to it since it's a blend, it's whatever coffee but works well for press and espresso. Also some Williams beans from Costco that has an elephant on the bag, haven't touched them after a week of drinking it, it's a medium dark roast but it's just way over roasted and the taste is over the top.

Probably going to try another Canadian based roaster as I've tried a good chunk of Fratello, anyone got recommendations?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Great post!

Phil & Sebs is my go-to because I enjoy a more acidic and fruity cup. For example, I often buy their Leo Rojas and occasionally the San Jacinto. My partner really likes The Standard, and honestly I enjoy it as well because of its pleasant nutty notes rather than "bold and dark" which is often the case with 'the regular' base-bean.

A friend who is a bigger coffee snob than I am is obsessed with Monogram. He brewed up some Cascara and even for me, it was pretty damn fruity, but god damn it was good.

A couple years ago the head barista (Ben?) at Monogram was serving an espresso and cappuccino of his uber expensive competition beans. Reinvented what I thought was possible with the coffee, the guys over at Monogram whether brewing or roasting definitely know what's-what. Just wish a full-store was closer than Brittania.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Probably going to try another Canadian based roaster as I've tried a good chunk of Fratello, anyone got recommendations?
    have you tried Kicking Horse? I'm pretty basic for coffee and didn't read the whole thread so i might be out of touch on this, but i really like their Kick Ass coffee.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You like Rosso Matt? I find that they have lots of beans that would fit your flavour profile

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I tried an espresso and a cup of coffee from them, and neither I thought was good at all, so I had kind of written them off.

Will give them another try if E-man says they're good
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Beans vs their brewed stuff are pretty different... I can’t replicate anything close to the flavours of their drip when I brew at home (French Press)

My Ride
    V167

kicking horse on sale @ superstore for 9.98/lb fyi.

first time trying it, picked up Cliff Hanger medium roast espresso.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

New office has one of those Bosch Tassimo machines. Is there anything work drinking from those? Can you get "better" coffees in them? Or should I bring my filter and grinder?

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 35 ... LastLast