Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

We bought this ages ago, so I'm sure there are much better ones now:
    https://www.breville.com/ca/en/produ...rs/bcg820.html

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

$300 and it doesn’t make the coffee for you?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Rec's for a good burr grinder? Value is more important than budget, within reason (i.e. over my cold dead body I still wouldn't spend $500 on one, no matter how aesthetically pleasing it is).
    Yes. The one Canadian Tire carries and more recently, Costco. I think it's a Cuisinart.
    Actually, I'm getting deja vu. Dig back a couple pages and I'm sure I've mentioned this before.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I have a Baratza Encore and they’re $200

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This one can be had for under $400... if you haven’t ordered from 8 ounce before... first order coffee, use 10% discount on grinder order

My Ride
    Silverado

Rec's for a good burr grinder? Value is more important than budget, within reason (i.e. over my cold dead body I still wouldn't spend $500 on one, no matter how aesthetically pleasing it is).
    Do you need it for espresso? If its for coffee, just buy a $100 burr frinder from crusinart or soemthing.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Baratza Encore seems to be the go-to entry level grinder

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    $300 and it doesn’t make the coffee for you?
    $300 is barely the tip of the iceberg. But if you save yourself $5/day going to Phil and Sebastian, $2k worth of espresso gear pays itself off pretty quickly
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the thing is, people spend $2k, and then still spend $5/day. Because who drinks only one coffee a day?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    I have a Baratza Encore and they’re $200
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Baratza Encore seems to be the go-to entry level grinder
    My sister bought an Encore yesterday. Coming from a Vario and Commandante, I'm impressed with the grind distribution of the Encore at its fine to medium settings. Easily the best electric grinder for $200.

My Ride
    Silverado

Can you use it with a single wall filter basket? Ah I may have already asked this. I don't think you can. My hunt continues...
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 01-10-2021 at 10:20 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This one can be had for under $400... if you haven’t ordered from 8 ounce before... first order coffee, use 10% discount on grinder order
    Great idea. I'll probably do this, but buy the Encore. If after a year or two I decide I want to be a coffee hardo, then I'll probably switch up.

If you’re looking for an excuse to replace your old machine as well, I’d highly recommend this:
    https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...ee/bdc650.html

Adjustable burr grinder and maker all in one. Also supports single cup brewing if you don’t want to make a full pot.

Once you figure out the settings that work for you, it makes a very consistent and excellent pot/cup of coffee. bonus is that you don’t have yet another small appliance taking up space.

My Ride
    V8s

I am likely going to replace the drip coffee maker we have as well, as my wife wants to be able to still be able to make a normal pot of coffee and not mess around with something like pour over. @sabad66 I almost pulled the trigger on that yesterday actually, but decided not to for the following reasons: I have concerns (perhaps unfounded) about maintenance, cleaning, and reliability of something like that; additionally, if we decide we want to buy an espresso machine next year, then I'll still have to buy a grinder.

On that note, I'm likely going to pick up a Moccamaster... does anyone have a better alternative I should be looking at? These seem to be pretty highly regarded (commensurate with the cost I suppose).
    Last edited by bjstare; 01-10-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    the thing is, people spend $2k, and then still spend $5/day. Because who drinks only one coffee a day?
    Fuck since getting this unit, I am drinking like a minimum 3 double shots a day. I am getting my espresso game on point now. It was a bit of a learning curve but now every pull is beautiful! I can't honestly say I have had a better one anywhere. I am sure though that is just because I haven't experienced the right places yet, but I don't care. I have zero regrets buying this machine!

Name:  81RfdzPfrQL._AC_SS350_.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  14.4 KB

My Ride
    Silverado

moccamaster. do it. I have a breville bambino plus and it's great as well.

I am likely going to replace the drip coffee maker we have as well, as my wife wants to be able to still be able to make a normal pot of coffee and not mess around with something like pour over. @sabad66 I almost pulled the trigger on that yesterday actually, but decided not to for the following reasons: I have concerns (perhaps unfounded) about maintenance, cleaning, and reliability of something like that; additionally, if we decide we want to buy an espresso machine next year, then I'll still have to buy a grinder.

On that note, I'm likely going to pick up a Moccamaster... does anyone have a better alternative I should be looking at? These seem to be pretty highly regarded (commensurate with the cost I suppose).
    I actually had those same concerns after reading reviews (moreso the reliability), but since i got mine with Air Miles i figured it was worth the risk. i've used mine at least once daily for 1.5 years so far and no issues so maybe reliability is not as bad as reviews say. Maintenance wise i've descaled it with vinegar probably 8 times (it tells you when it's due) and i clean the grinder parts about every month or so. But yeah if you're going to get espresso machine anyways probably not worth investing $300 for a drip machine.

My Ride
    *The First*

I don't know much about these other brands mentioned but they don't look cheap. I have an older Delonghi Magnifica and it's bullet proof. I convinced a friend to buy one a few years ago and at that time Costco carried it. Something between $1k and $1.2k
    It solves your grinder issue because it grinds the beans fresh every time (which is probably 70% of the reason its coffee is so good). 10+ years with zero mechanical issues. Simple de-scaling called for about 2-3x per year.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's not far from the truth for me before work from home. At least I saved $5/day on the first coffee, then I could do $3 drip or even office coffee for the 2nd and 3rd cups.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Great idea. I'll probably do this, but buy the Encore. If after a year or two I decide I want to be a coffee hardo, then I'll probably switch up.
    Bed bath & beyond 20% coupon off makes it cheaper there.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by GenerationX View Post
    Bed bath & beyond 20% coupon off makes it cheaper there.
    Turns out it's sold out at 8oz and Bed Bath Beyond. Just decided to go with Amazon (could have got the white one from 8oz, but we aren't white appliance people).

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast