Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 26 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New office has one of those Bosch Tassimo machines. Is there anything work drinking from those? Can you get "better" coffees in them? Or should I bring my filter and grinder?
    The “XL” pods (they are double thick) that brew a normal sized coffee still almost taste like coffee

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    New office has one of those Bosch Tassimo machines. Is there anything work drinking from those? Can you get "better" coffees in them? Or should I bring my filter and grinder?
    You should smash that machine to bits like an Office Space copier and march the fuck out of that place, post haste!
    Tell your wife that you gave it your best shot but after 5 days you realized no one should have to endure that level of negligence and torture.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    You should smash that machine to bits like an Office Space copier and march the fuck out of that place, post haste!
    Tell your wife that you gave it your best shot but after 5 days you realized no one should have to endure that level of negligence and torture.
    Well, okay, I'll do it!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

If you were going to drop up to $1500 CAD on a grinder / espresso machine, what combo would you get?

I like the manual / semi-automatics with levers and love my buddy's Profitec Pro 800 but it's out of my price range at 2,500 EUR.

I also tend to drink a lot of pour-overs, aeropress, chemex, etc. so the grinder needs to allow for a variety of grinds.

Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    If you were going to drop up to $1500 CAD on a grinder / espresso machine, what combo would you get?

I like the manual / semi-automatics with levers and love my buddy's Profitec Pro 800 but it's out of my price range at 2,500 EUR.

I also tend to drink a lot of pour-overs, aeropress, chemex, etc. so the grinder needs to allow for a variety of grinds.

Recommendations?
    I gave up on the search for an affordable espresso machine. I only do brew coffee at home. If I want espresso, I'll head to a shop. Off the top of my head, I would say a used Profitec Pro 300, Rancilio Silvia or a higher end Breville.

For an all purpose grinder, I would say Baratza Vario. I am quite content with mine. Upgrade it with steel burrs and it will be capable of all grinds.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Upgrade to steel? Interesting...I was under the impression that ceramic was the best. Good to know!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I've been using a Breville 840XL for 5ish years alongside the Breville Smart grinder, have always yielded great results from the espresso machine for home use. I prefer the grinder to be separate on account of I mainly brew coffee in a press but also a v60, so having a quality grinder to handle press/filter/espresso is worthwhile. You can generally catch either unit on sale at some point or use a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon to get a discount.

I haven't read too deeply into other espresso machines as I use the press more than the machine on a daily basis but love making lattes and the steam wand for steamed milk for daily coffees.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I upgraded from an older Breville Barista Express to the dual boiler. I didn't notice a significant improvement in shot quality. It depends more on your tampering and grind setting IMO. But the steam wand is way better. If you watch the price you should be able to stay within budget with a decent grinder.

My Ride
    Silverado

Have some basic bitch burr grinder for my grinding needs. Nespresso for espresso, pretty tough to beat the convenience / quality / price.

My FIL uses the breviile barista express with the integrated grinder and it seems good.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    I have an Orphan Espresso Lido 2 I am very happy with. Like sl888 I don't bother with espresso at home unless it is out of my stove top maker, which I buy pre-ground coffee for.

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Man...nders_c_1.html
    Thanks! I am leaning more towards a hand grinder now. The fact I don't know whether I'll be living in a 110v or 220v country 5-years from now makes it difficult to justify dropping the cash on appliances.

Not sure I like the looks of the OE ones but the Commandante C40 MK3 and Kinu M47 look pretty sweet if I can justify the pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Upgrade to steel? Interesting...I was under the impression that ceramic was the best. Good to know!
    Sorry, I shouldn't say upgrade. There's pros and cons to both but steel will produce more uniform particles at coarser settings.

Thanks! I am leaning more towards a hand grinder now. The fact I don't know whether I'll be living in a 110v or 220v country 5-years from now makes it difficult to justify dropping the cash on appliances.

Not sure I like the looks of the OE ones but the Commandante C40 MK3 and Kinu M47 look pretty sweet if I can justify the pricetag.
    I own a C40 MK3 for travel. Definitely get the Kinu M47 if you're looking to grind for espresso and filter.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post

I own a C40 MK3 for travel. Definitely get the Kinu M47 if you're looking to grind for espresso and filter.
    What don't you like about the C40MK3? Or you just don't think it's great for espresso grind?

I suspect at this stage I'll probably just set the grinder for pour-overs or Aeropress, but it would be nice having the ability for espresso in the future would be nice.

I'm not sure about the glass base of the C40. The Kinu looks great - just a lot of cash for not a lot of improvement over the C40 from the sounds of it!
    Last edited by davidI; 07-31-2019 at 01:15 AM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 11:04 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I like my hand grind too. Considering getting a second one for the office.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

@sl888 Good to know, cheers. I do pour over almost exclusively these days using a Bodum w/ supplied metal filter and find myself in the middle of the grind scale, slightly coarser.

Was very tempted to get into espressos but for how picky I am with it, it would take too much money for equipment and beans, amd time to learn it. That's worth going out for to Phil & Sebs or Monogram.
    Ultracrepidarian

What don't you like about the C40MK3? Or you just don't think it's great for espresso grind?

I suspect at this stage I'll probably just set the grinder for pour-overs or Aeropress, but it would be nice having the ability for espresso in the future would be nice.

I'm not sure about the glass base of the C40. The Kinu looks great - just a lot of cash for not a lot of improvement over the C40 from the sounds of it!
    Nothing, I love my C40. It is capable of espresso but you'll get better range on the M47. The glass base of the C40 fits perfectly into the top of an Aeropress, so an easy and no spill transfer.

From all the reviews and posts I've read, M47 for espresso and C40 for filter. The C40 Ironheart, with its carbon steel burr, is a better option for espresso than the regular version. You can upgrade any C40 with their Red Clix axle for more range.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Was very tempted to get into espressos but for how picky I am with it, it would take too much money for equipment and beans, amd time to learn it. That's worth going out for to Phil & Sebs or Monogram.
    Same train of thought. I'll let someone trained and using a $20K machine, everything dialed in with the right water to make my espressos.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    Nothing, I love my C40. It is capable of espresso but you'll get better range on the M47. The glass base of the C40 fits perfectly into the top of an Aeropress, so an easy and no spill transfer.

From all the reviews and posts I've read, M47 for espresso and C40 for filter. The C40 Ironheart, with its carbon steel burr, is a better option for espresso than the regular version. You can upgrade any C40 with their Red Clix axle for more range.

[youtube]dn9OuRl1F3k[/youtub]

Same train of thought. I'll let someone trained and using a $20K machine, everything dialed in with the right water to make my espressos.
    Thanks - I had watched that grinder showdown before which got me thinking about the M47. If I factor in the 40 Euro Red Clix upgrade to the 240 Euro C40 then the M47 is only 50 Euros away. Perhaps worth the extra cost for if I do decide to get a manual espresso machine in the future though I'd really love to handle them both to decide which I like best.

Thanks - I had watched that grinder showdown before which got me thinking about the M47. If I factor in the 40 Euro Red Clix upgrade to the 240 Euro C40 then the M47 is only 50 Euros away. Perhaps worth the extra cost for if I do decide to get a manual espresso machine in the future though I'd really love to handle them both to decide which I like best.
    Another hand grinder to consider is the BPlus Apollo. It is fairly new. There are a couple reviews on Home Barista.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sound of stayed out of this thread. Now I'm looking at grinders
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast