Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

Are you guys cold brewing to concentrate levels or to drinkable levels. I've only ever done it to drinkable levels using a 4 to 1 ratio. Usually coarse grind the beans, put it in a mason jar, put the water in, screw on the lid and throw it in the fridge for 24 hours.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

I brew to drinkable levels, never really occurred to me that I could brew a concentrate. Might be worth trying, but I like that my wife and I finish the cold brew in 2-3 days max and it hasn't oxidized much yet on day 3. I imagine the concentrate could take a fair bit longer to finish and might not stay as fresh? I'll have to try to know for sure.

My brother in law bought a Toddy after he broke his Hario in the dishwasher. Says its a lot more convenient, but it lacks control of the drip speed which can have a significant affect on flavor and strength. The finished product is still excellent and he wouldn't have known any better if he never had the Hario first.

If I were a first timer, I would buy the Toddy to see if I even like making/drinking cold brew more frequently before buying the more expensive Hario. The jar of ground beans and water in the fridge is an interesting idea, seems more like a cold french press since the water doesn't pass through the grounds though.

ExtraSlow made me buy a pour over. I like it. It has a spot in the camper.

Originally posted by msommers

Monogram was selling some competition shot for a couple days and happened to be in Calgary. Two shots of espresso, one black, the other which milk that tasted like banana bread, the black shot was like a fucking fruit cup. Apparently he used some special beans that were delivered in a suitcase at an airport like a drug deal haha. Either way best espressos I've ever had and probably will.
    Damn I missed out on Ben's competition drinks again!

Originally posted by bh87
    For cold brew I use this one:
    Hario Water Dripper Clear takes about 8 hours for a pot, grind should be medium to course (similar to drip or pour over grind). I've found best use is a medium roast, 1 drip/second and a little more coarse than medium grind. The coffee ends up low acidity, high caffeine and heightens the characteristics of the bean (I like high altitude grown Panama or Costa Rica).
    I use the same dripper. Cold drip > cold brew. I make mine very concentrated. I use 40 grams of medium to fine grind for 300mL output. The drink is either 100mL or 150mL over an ice cube or two.
    Hey bh87, what's your I/O?

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Originally posted by sl888

I use the same dripper. Cold drip > cold brew. I make mine very concentrated. I use 40 grams of medium to fine grind for 300mL output. The drink is either 100mL or 150mL over an ice cube or two.
    Hey bh87, what's your I/O?

I haven't measured it by weight (although I should, this would be way more accurate) but I use 5 level scoops of ground beans for 6 cups of water. For the drink, (after chilling in the fridge) I pour about 1 cup over 2 ice cubes.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Normally I use a chemex or aeropress but the volume to effort just isn't there for weekends. Can anyone recommend a <$300 drip brewer? Must have timer function and burr grind it's own whole beans, and make a pot (no single serves). The Bay has a Cuisinart but it's got mixed reviews so open to other ideas

Originally posted by birdman86
    Normally I use a chemex or aeropress but the volume to effort just isn't there for weekends. Can anyone recommend a &lt;$300 drip brewer? Must have timer function and burr grind it's own whole beans, and make a pot (no single serves). The Bay has a Cuisinart but it's got mixed reviews so open to other ideas
    I hear you, my AeroPress sometimes feels like all I want is a cup now. You'll not find an all-in-one worth buying as the steam creates a mess for the grinder.

I want to try this OXO unit: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-coffee-maker/

Had this ad in the sidebar, pretty cool if it works: http://www.auromabrewing.com/?gclid=...FQ-EaQodaAwNBQ
    Last edited by Minimalist; 09-05-2016 at 08:16 PM.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Anyone here roast their own coffee from raw beans? Where do you buy your raw beans from?

Just bought an old popcorn popper for $5 and thought I'd give it a try

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I have recently got into brewing my own coffee at home have been experimenting.

Tried out Nabob' Single Origin Costa Rica and really enjoyed it, and Starbucks Breakfast Blend which was, a bit bland.

Trying to figure out what notes I like in my coffee. I have really enjoyed Cafe Artigiano's Ethiopian and Cafe Blanca Ethiopian as well. Although I like both, they are a bit expensive.

What are you go to "supermarket" brand coffees?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Best, cheapest bean is McDonald's espresso dark.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah for grocery store I'd agree. Dark cherry from analog is fucking amazing.

Treat yo self!

Edit: if you and the gf have coffee in the morning and don't have a pretty good grinder, get them to do it. For a week or so that a bag lasts, I think it's still fine.
    Last edited by msommers; 09-14-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Do any normal grocery stores sell light roast? I am finding it nearly impossible to get. Even stores with good selection of Kicking Horse beans don't carry the light roast. Everywhere seems to have 10 different types of "dark" or "bold" roast, and a few mediums haha. I know I can get it at specialty places but it would be nice to pick up with my groceries.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'm onto the Papa New Guinea from Devil's Head. Seriously delicious, worth the extra couple bucks for a small-roast batch in calgary (roasting outa his garage). He's finally selling online and doing delivery. https://devilsheadcoffee.ca/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Now that I'm hand-grinding me beans for each cup, and I'm getting pretty consistent results, decided to try some better beans. Note that I'm still not measuring the water before I pour it in, I just slosh some in from the 1.5L kettle that I have boiling for the kids oatmeal in the morning. Fucking savage. Usually have a slosh in a little more a couple of time to get a full cup.

Anywhoooo. Today is Day 1 on my "better beans" experiment. Picked up these Guatemalan beans from Analog yesterday after a lovely chat with the ladies there. Top tip, the cute baristas are pretty bored later in the afternoon. Either that or I'm putting out the right pheromones this week . . .

Initial impressions, just a hint of a "darker" note when compared to my previous Kickinghorse "smart-ass" beans. First sip seemed more acidic, but halfway through the cup, I don't even know.

Anyway, no issues. Will see how I feel when this bag of beans is getting empty, which will take a couple months at my normal pace.

If anyone wants to drop by and do a tasting of "coffee-a-la-'slow", I'll make you a cup and you can review it. Shit, you can critique my method too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Been using beans from Rosso lately. I'm asking my buddy to pick up a Kalita Wave dripper for me from Japan since the markup in North America is at least 100%. But you'll pretty much will have a perfect cup every time with it.

Definitely for those who haven't already, pick up a scale with 0.1g, burr grinder, and a gooseneck kettle (variable temp if you're crazy enough to spend $120 on a kettle )

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I tried roasting my own coffee beans last weekend. 1st batch was a complete failure, beans were way too dark and smelled god awful. 2nd batch was bang on. Even with my shitty roasting skills, the beans were miles ahead of kicking horse, starbucks blend and other store bought brands I tried. The beans produced beautiful crema on my espresso shot, and wow what a difference in taste.

I picked up some green coffee beans from Italian Supermarket, no idea where these beans come from since there's no info on the label. Picked up an old $5 popcorn maker from kijiji. Dumped the beans in and turned on the popcorn maker, and 5-6 mins later nicely dark roasted coffee. The smoke wasn't as bad as I thought either, and I just roasted under my hood fan. Wife didn't complain at all about the smell or smoke. I can only roast about 1/2 cup at a time, and I think that will last me a week.

Much cheaper to roast your own beans too. 1lb of beans cost me $10 at the Italian Supermarket. I talked to the roaster at Fratello's the other day on blackfoot trail. He gave me a quick tour of the roasting facility, it's quite the operation there. Huge roasting vats, and burlap sacks of green coffee beans everywhere. Ended up buying 2lbs of green beans for $24. Can't wait to try them out!

My Ride
    TDI

TRANSCENDCOFFEE.ca in Edmonton is another good place to buy green beans from. Free shipping on orders over $50. I've currently got 24lbs of green beans sitting in my pantry and 10lbs more on the way. It's hard not to buy new stuff that sounds good when they get new varieties in. :P

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    I tried roasting my own coffee beans last weekend. 1st batch was a complete failure, beans were way too dark and smelled god awful. 2nd batch was bang on. Even with my shitty roasting skills, the beans were miles ahead of kicking horse, starbucks blend and other store bought brands I tried. The beans produced beautiful crema on my espresso shot, and wow what a difference in taste.

I picked up some green coffee beans from Italian Supermarket, no idea where these beans come from since there's no info on the label. Picked up an old $5 popcorn maker from kijiji. Dumped the beans in and turned on the popcorn maker, and 5-6 mins later nicely dark roasted coffee. The smoke wasn't as bad as I thought either, and I just roasted under my hood fan. Wife didn't complain at all about the smell or smoke. I can only roast about 1/2 cup at a time, and I think that will last me a week.

Much cheaper to roast your own beans too. 1lb of beans cost me $10 at the Italian Supermarket. I talked to the roaster at Fratello's the other day on blackfoot trail. He gave me a quick tour of the roasting facility, it's quite the operation there. Huge roasting vats, and burlap sacks of green coffee beans everywhere. Ended up buying 2lbs of green beans for $24. Can't wait to try them out!
    Yup. It goes to show just how volatile the volatile compounds really are

Just a heads up....Eight Ounce is having their garage sale on Saturday, November 19 from 10:30am till 4pm. Not sure if they'll have anything good but I'll probably drop by. Hopefully leave with a grinder.

Monogram/Transcend currently has El Pilon in stock. P&S has some Roger's Geisha left. It's a blend though with SL-28. It's still a good cup but nothing like Carlin's Geisha.

What are you guys using for brewing and grinding? I just recently bought an aeropress, looking for a grinder now, possibly a baratza encore...?

Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast