Quantcast
$$$$$$ Coffee!!! - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$ Coffee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brought home 8 bags of Juan Valdez beans from Colombia in November. The smoothest most flavourful drip coffee that I’ve had to date. Drink it black every day. Can’t say I’ll be going back to store brand anytime soon.
    If you went all the way down to Colombia you should get some 1700! I can't find it anywhere online but it was way better than anything else I have ever had. All the Juan Valdez I have had was a less acidic Starbucks.
    I don't think anywhere in the country grows Robusta beans so everything is perfectly grown Arabica.

Been into Kicking Horse Hola lately. Bought 3 bags when all the KH stuff was on for $9.99. It's almost impossible to find light roast in a grocery store (everything is medium, dark, and "extra bold") so this was a pleasant surprise.

Hey would I be able to buy some beans roasted or green off ya?
    I have a little roaster at home but I have to roast a bunch of times for the week.

Thanks

Here you go ballers, a coffee maker controlled via app. Allows temp control and brewing time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Behmor-Connect...70_&dpSrc=srch

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Just crawled into Habnoi last night.
    Holy shit the coffee tastes good here...

Do any of you guys run distilled water in your machines to prevent any kind of build up? I have been experimenting with it in a Keurig, but it's too difficult to do back-to-back testing. I keep reading mixed things about whether or not distilled water is good for coffee brewing or not. I know it's not good to drink only distilled water, but my coffee consumption is only a tiny part of that.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Can you run vinegar through it and then a couple cycles of water? I do this with the kettle and after a couple rinses I don't taste or smell the vinegar. Hopefully that can apply to your machine.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Can you run vinegar through it and then a couple cycles of water? I do this with the kettle and after a couple rinses I don't taste or smell the vinegar. Hopefully that can apply to your machine.
    You can descale them, yes, but I am wondering if anyone buys a new machine and only makes coffee with distilled water so you never have to clean it or descale it. A lot of the descaling solutions you can buy are citrus based - not sure if that works better than vinegar or not. It's probably not a big deal at the end of the day, if the machine dies in 2-3 years, they are cheap to replace, but if I am curious if there are any downsides to brewing my coffee with distilled water to prolong it's life.

I still have my Breville YouBrew but I just picked up a Keurig Elite for when I just want a super quick cup or if a guest does.

I just use soft water. No buildup at all. My K-cup machine is many years old and still going strong.

I suggest you experiment with bottled water for your Keurig.

Do not use distilled water for coffee brewing. It does not contain the dissolved minerals required to extract the full flavours. Mind you, this probably applies more to specialty rather than commercial coffee, although, I'm sure it can still make a difference in the cup.

For a while, I would make my own water to match the city water of the roaster I get my beans from, but this got tiresome. I now use Third Wave Water to keep my water a constant. https://thirdwavewater.com/

If you wanna dive deeper into this subject, there's a great book called Water For Coffee by Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood & Christopher Hendon.
    City of Calgary water - http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Page...-Overview.aspx
    Water recipes - https://baristahustle.com/blogs/bari...-water-recipes

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    I suggest you experiment with bottled water for your Keurig.

Do not use distilled water for coffee brewing. It does not contain the dissolved minerals required to extract the full flavours. Mind you, this probably applies more to specialty rather than commercial coffee, although, I'm sure it can still make a difference in the cup.

For a while, I would make my own water to match the city water of the roaster I get my beans from, but this got tiresome. I now use Third Wave Water to keep my water a constant. https://thirdwavewater.com/

If you wanna dive deeper into this subject, there's a great book called Water For Coffee by Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood & Christopher Hendon.
    City of Calgary water - http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Page...-Overview.aspx
    Water recipes - https://baristahustle.com/blogs/bari...-water-recipes
    I actually have the "PUR" water system which is supposed to be one of the best filtration systems, so that is an option for me. Mostly I was just exploring the use of Distilled water to always keep my machine in perfect condition, provided it didn't affect the coffee too much. It's kind of hard to tell with K-Cup coffee, but so far I am not sure I can tell much of a difference between coffee brewed with good filtered water and distilled. I'm trying to do some testing but A/B tests are impossible.

I'll take a look at those links though, thanks.

I'm not familiar with PUR. Having a quick look, PUR filters, like most home water filter systems, are good for removing harmful contaminants and other things that make water taste/smell bad. They do not remove minerals like sodium, calcium, and magnesium, so the TDS (total dissolved solids) is still relatively high.

If you can't taste the difference then use distilled water. It'll be best for your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    I'm not familiar with PUR. Having a quick look, PUR filters, like most home water filter systems, are good for removing harmful contaminants and other things that make water taste/smell bad. They do not remove minerals like sodium, calcium, and magnesium, so the TDS (total dissolved solids) is still relatively high.

If you can't taste the difference then use distilled water. It'll be best for your machine.
    Yes that is what it does - removes lead, chlorine taste, dissolved pharmaceuticals, etc. BRITA is better now, but when BRITA was a joke, I bought into the PUR system. It just gives me really nice water for coffee or whatever else, but it still has all the dissolved solids that can cause build up in machines. So far I am not minding the distilled water so I'll probably keep using it at least for a while. Or I'll just buy some descaler and use normal filtered water - at the end of the day if my $150 machine dies in a few years who cares.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Name:  57DA2277-1E8D-49BC-B105-DE342E7FF57C.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  32.4 KB

Can’t complain about free... but not feeling this stuff for the price, think i’ll stick to KH when it’s on sale at Safeway

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tims is finally planning to get decent lids.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-...lids-1.4787699
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Ive been on a solid hola kick for a while. Picked up that blue Hawaiian coffee from costco today. Sounds like i should try the pc stuff next that es recommended.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm all about the light roast for my daily pour-over.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

If anyone likes Analog, Calgary Co-op is selling their beans now. They have a sale on, picked up 2 lb bag of Godfather for $5 less than buying it at Analog ($30).

My Ride
    V167

So I got a Bialetti Moka pot. Life changing. Damn good espresso every morning. Total time to make is a few mins as Im getting ready.

New to espresso game, any recommendations?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quality grinder, especially for espressos!
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast