Quantcast
Water Softener... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Is a water softener a worthwhile investment??...

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes get a Softener...

41 87.23%
  • No don't bother with one...

6 12.77%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Water Softener...

My Ride
    2010 Genesis coupe 2.0t

The kinetico 4040s will regenerate in 11 minutes using only 7 gallons of water and 1 pound of salt, meaning some families can use as little as a bag per year. Just a lot more efficiency is the difference in price.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by lauphman
    The kinetico 4040s will regenerate in 11 minutes using only 7 gallons of water and 1 pound of salt, meaning some families can use as little as a bag per year. Just a lot more efficiency is the difference in price.
    Isn't regeneration time a non-issue with twin tank setups?
    Is the $1200 kinetico much less efficient then?

End of the day, I use about 3-4 bags per year - so at most $15 per year more than the Kinetico 4040, plus $0.60 in electricity... It'll take a looong time to make up $2000.

I guess the "efficiency" sale is for the eco-yogis.

We installed a softener about a year ago, and we're on our third bag of salt. The initial bag which came with the softener / installation. And the two other, we bought from costco. We use a lot of water in washing due to having a newborn / toddler + those standard issued top load washers.

A bit off topic here... For those who have the kinetico system installed with dechlorinator and pre-filter, how did you get that pre-filter off? I want to replace the filter but I couldn't remove the cover at all. The whole thing (attached pipes + the tiny 4040 tanks) move when I try to put more force into unscrewing it. My last resort is to call Trail to send people out to replace it.

TIA.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    We installed a softener about a year ago, and we're on our third bag of salt. The initial bag which came with the softener / installation. And the two other, we bought from costco. We use a lot of water in washing due to having a newborn / toddler + those standard issued top load washers.

A bit off topic here... For those who have the kinetico system installed with dechlorinator and pre-filter, how did you get that pre-filter off? I want to replace the filter but I couldn't remove the cover at all. The whole thing (attached pipes + the tiny 4040 tanks) move when I try to put more force into unscrewing it. My last resort is to call Trail to send people out to replace it.

TIA.
    Are you talking about the big orange canister with the filter inside? Just turn it, it takes some muscle but it will unscrew. Make sure you drain the water first and turn off your system before doing it, obviously.

My Ride
    2010 Genesis coupe 2.0t

Originally posted by Strider

Isn't regeneration time a non-issue with twin tank setups?
    Is the $1200 kinetico much less efficient then?

End of the day, I use about 3-4 bags per year - so at most $15 per year more than the Kinetico 4040, plus $0.60 in electricity... It'll take a looong time to make up $2000.

I guess the "efficiency" sale is for the eco-yogis.
    Yes not a issue with downtime, but now it's how much water it's using. 11 minutes and 7gallons vs 1-2hours and up to 100gallons.

As for removing the filter housing there should be a bracket on top of it that can be screwed to the wall to make it a lot easier. If not try again and remember to push up on the housing while unscrewing because it locks into place while under pressure.

Originally posted by 89coupe

Are you talking about the big orange canister with the filter inside? Just turn it, it takes some muscle but it will unscrew. Make sure you drain the water first and turn off your system before doing it, obviously.
    Yes, the orange canister. I guess I'm just a weakling :P

I tried with bare hands and even one of those rubberband type "wrench". But when I try to turn it, the piping attached to the filter moved along with the tanks :P

Thanks.

Originally posted by lauphman

As for removing the filter housing there should be a bracket on top of it that can be screwed to the wall to make it a lot easier. If not try again and remember to push up on the housing while unscrewing because it locks into place while under pressure.
    my setup is not sitting against the wall, but good tip about pushing it upwards... thanks.

My Ride
    car

Well I have read everything that everyone mentioned and in works to purchase one as well.

By the information it does not really matter what you get as long as you have one.

Question is where to purchase one locally that can also do installs. I am not a handy person and hate doing things like install as I alway second guess my self.

Can someone recommend a place or person. Even a inside beyonder that sells these would be great. I looked at the mention above aquatell howeve then dont seem to be local.

TIA

My Ride
    2010 Genesis coupe 2.0t

Any plumbing company can get one for you or you can order from online and have them install it. Trail installs whirlpool and kinetico softners. Emco offers The waterboss brand. installs start in the 150$ range and go up from there if bypasses are needed for the outside hose bibs and kitchen. Or you can do it yourself by renting the pex crimper from homedepot and buying the parts; 50$ or less.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

how do the culligan water softeners compare to the previous brands mentioned?
    wh...?

My Ride
    Vmax

Costco has a 40000 grain unit for a little over 400$.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Like $149.99 over $400?

http://www.costco.ca/.product.103694...eHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

Anybody using a salt-less system?

Curious how good that Costco system is. Just getting my knowledge ramped up. I bought a house built in 1961 and I'm fixing a broken plumbing due to hard water build up.

EnRich which system are you using?

My Ride
    Vmax

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Like $149.99 over $400?

http://www.costco.ca/.product.103694...eHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

No it was not 549.00$, still a good price delivered.

I think I am alone on this one but I hate water softeners. Whenever I shower with it I always still feel soapy
    Euro

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Always had one growing up, so we put one in our new build in cougar ridge. After 10 years, moved to an older house that had one previously but previous owners had disconnected when it stopped working. Thought I'd try without one.

Dishes were TERRIBLE - lot's of residue and crusties when they came out of the dishwasher, tried CLR, vinegar, jet dry, etc but no good. Kids rashes were worse, wife had worse dry skin.

So I caved and put a cheapish but decent unit in via Pete the plumber for ~1000 all in and everything was resolved. The dishes are spotless now. You have to figure all that crap was in the laundry, the fridge filter, the shower heads, etc. Water is cheap, so I regen at 2am - the fancy units try and reduce this but it's pennies so I don't care. Salt is trivial as well; bag every few months.

So yes, have one, never going back to not - at least not in Calgary.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    car

That Costco one seems like a pretty good bargain for 40000 grain however what would a average home need/

will this suffice for 2 adults and 1 baby. Also if I have family come stay with me for summer will I run out or do I just have it regen more times a week?

Looking to pull the trigger to buy this by the end of this week.

TIA

Originally posted by maxout
    That Costco one seems like a pretty good bargain for 40000 grain however what would a average home need/

will this suffice for 2 adults and 1 baby. Also if I have family come stay with me for summer will I run out or do I just have it regen more times a week?

Looking to pull the trigger to buy this by the end of this week.

TIA

40000 @ 18gpg... you're pretty much good for a family of 4

For those of you that ordered your water softeners from Aquatell.

Did you guys get:
    - Turbulator upgrade (I heard these things conceptually are great but mechanically fail regularly)
    - Fine mesh resin upgrade (i'm thinking no since iron is treated at the water treatment plant)
    - Brine grid (this one seems reasonable but i've never seen salt clump together in the tank at my parents house)
    - Whole home cholorine removal (i'm thinking no to this since cholorine is treated at the water treatment plant)

My Ride
    2010 Genesis coupe 2.0t

For everyone looking at buying a softner locally; emco currently has the waterboss for 749.99 which is a great softner aswell. All in one package design, chlorine filter, metering, and not too shabby on efficiency. Easy install aswell for the diy'ers. Only downfall is that's its not 2 tank system.

http://www.waterboss.com/watersoftenermodel950.shtml

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3