Quantcast
Does your other half do guy stuff with you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does your other half do guy stuff with you?

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Default Does your other half do guy stuff with you?

Does your wife/gf do 'guy' stuff with you? Stuff like watching UFC, football. Washing the car, cleaning the garage. Go play tennis, to the gym.
    Just curious cuz I know some women are pretty good with doing things or going to events with their mate even if they dont love it. Other women would go hang with their girlfriends while you do you guy things.

And for you would any of these be a deal breaker (eg if gf don't do them with you)?

It really depends on the relationship.

I believe in "me and we" time. This means that we each have our time for doing things on our own and time for us as a couple. That being said, I've never been the type of girl to hang off a guy and I believe a little absence makes the heart grow fonder.

For example, if my husband wants to go out for drinks with the guys, he lets me know and he goes. If we have something tenatively planned for that night, we will talk about it and I may go with him, might not or he may put the boys off. If we have something set in stone, neither of us would forego each other for that evening just to do it. But that is how we work. And I see a lot of other relationships that don't work this way and seem to be ok too.

In my opinion, if you constantly need your girl hanging off of you while doing things - there is something deeper there that needs to be looked at.

Alternatively, if she feels she needs to hang off of you at every moment - there is something deeper that needs to be looked at.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Well I work 6:30 to 4 ish during the week. She works T-Sa often noon to 8 except Saturday she is off by 4.
    So Monday night we spend time together as well as Saturday nights, and whole day Sunday. Days that she works late is a toss up cuz I started going to bed by 10:30.
    I go to gym after work, play ball and ice hockey and hang out with friends.
    A few times she had suggested we don't spend time together. I asked her to join us for UFC last week and for Grey Cup and she isn't fond of such. And I invite her for tennis, stairs but she likes hiking, snow shoeing, workout videos instead.

Seems like I am ok with the amount of time we spend but she is not.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

dude we should go snow shoeing .... that way I can avoid injuring you again..... :p

What it is you do with her isn't nececssarily the issue. It's spending quality time. Maybe before you go to UFC, you make her dinner or after UFC draw a bath for both of you. (Yes, I know it sounds cheesy, but stupid shit like this makes us happy when we are longing for time)

If she packs a lunch to work, throw a love note in there.

If she takes transit to work, surprise her, pick her up and grab take out on the way home.

Schedule a date night twice a month. You both can make the time in your agenda and those 3-4 hours are whatever you choose it to be.

Small things like this, is what equals out to the big things.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

We go out to dinners and movies and stuff together, but our days off don't line up. I get weds-fri off, she gets weekends. This is a godsend. I enjoy my days off alone IMMENSELY and so does she. We've talked about this at length.

We are a very good couple. You need that separation in a relationship.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    We go out to dinners and movies and stuff together, but our days off don't line up. I get weds-fri off, she gets weekends. This is a godsend. I enjoy my days off alone IMMENSELY and so does she. We've talked about this at length.

We are a very good couple. You need that separation in a relationship.
    I would say some degree of separation is a good thing, but it really depends on the couple how much... I would hate being in your situation and not having any days off together with my girlfriend... but maybe that's because we enjoy each other's company and pursue similar hobbies and interests.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Home at 2pm when done work, so still plenty of time to hang out.

My Ride
    Calgary Transit/Corolla

my gf does do "guy stuff" with me and I will also join her and do "girl stuff" lol

but we also both go and do our own things and some days will go a day or two without seeing each other but we always makes sure to text a goodnight text or whatever.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I don't see my wife for 3 weeks. We have shows we like to watch together, do dinners, movies, never any guy stuff. But I don't really do guy stuff anymore. She doesn't like sports at all, I don't really watch or care, we like to do social things instead.

My Ride
    Whip.

Originally posted by theken
    I don't really do guy stuff anymore
    Wow, bitched.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Every once and a while I can convince her to come out and hang out with me while I work on my truck but she gets pretty tired of it after twenty minutes.

We spend lots of time together hanging out, visiting family/ friends and we really enjoy cooking together (or should I say I cook and she cleans).

But at the same neither one of us has ever had an issue with the other going off and doing their own thing. Like Dannie said we just let the other know whats going on and go and do it. We do have a lot of the same friends though so that helps when it comes to going out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

I wouldn't want my GF to do "guy stuff" with me, because it wouldn't be long before I found myself in Le Chateau with a gun to my head.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Seth1968
    I wouldn't want my GF to do "guy stuff" with me, because it wouldn't be long before I found myself in Le Chateau with a gun to my head.
    Explain to me what is so bad about buying your gf lingerie?? Have you lost your damn mind!? I'm all about Victoria Secret shopping trips, well within reason..sh*ts expensive!!

My GF is actually into adrenaline type sports and in fact she's going to get a sport bike! Now I feel like the bitch in the relationship I wouldn't date a girl that isn't up for doing anything besides The Hills marathons/trips to Starbucks

My Ride
    Highlander

My husband and I met via beyond, so right there that should answer your question. We're both boxing fans though so we watch that together, and he will suffer through the odd shopping trip or tv show of mine without complaining too much

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I like opposites, girls that have "guy" hobbies always come on strong and feel like they have more to prove. My guy stuff is my escape. Neutral ground is good and her own interests are good.

I don't need to date a "buddy" i want to date a really good friend.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Me and my girlfriend have our alone time and our together time.

She enjoys going to pick and pull with me and gets excited in doing so.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

My gf and I met playing hockey and we still play on the same team. She's a personal trainer so she actually got my going to the gym with her. She snowboards, I ski so we get out and do that too. I don't have as many "boys nights" as I used to, but I wouldn't date a girl I didn't want to being around either. She gets along with my friends and my family and that's perfect.

That said, she hates my bike so that's my alone time. It IS nice to get out on my own every once in a while, but I really like being around her. Otherwise, what's the point?

My Ride
    TDI

Some of this is an answer to OPs question, some is general advice for what's kept my relationship strong over the years.

We both work at the same company (different floors), so we bike commute to work together every day (she's even riding this winter with me).

She comes out and watches my hockey games every so often, she's even played shinny with me a couple of times (she sucks).

We both ski, we started at the same time but I've progressed much faster. I still hang around with her for most of the day. Sometimes we'll agree that I'll do two or three runs on a hill and meet her at the chairlift when she finishes her 1 run.

She has her taekwondo and I have my ultimate frisbee.

She has her girls nights and I have my xbox nights (I so wish she'd play video games with me but whatever).

She has absolutely no interest when I work on the cars or the computers or the house.

I'm not allowed in the kitchen. We figured this out pretty quickly. She's a good cook and I'm terrible. I also do the dishes 'wrong'. So I was banished. Many guys seem to envy this. I can also freely critique her cooking without her getting upset. Why lie and say you like something... you'll end up getting it again if she thinks you like it.

Overall we do most things together and spend most of our time together, we've been together for almost 20 years now and still going strong.

I try to do stuff that interests my S/O. He likes to ride sportbikes, so in the Summer I bought one and he taught me to ride. We went riding nearly every day during the Summer.

We both enjoy rollerblading and swimming. He is trying to get me to enjoy hiking, but its not happening. LOL

He is big into Martial Arts (he has several Black Belts in multiple disciplines) so I enjoy it when he teaches me some moves. It is mostly for self-defense and he is teaching me some boxing. He is really patient with me so it's great.

He's really good at cooking with me as we always cook our meals together and he is keen to learn.

I love art so he will be helping me make a massive papier-mache project over the Xmas Break.

I'm really into fashion and he's really come around and enjoys coming shopping with me, however he does have a time limit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast