Quantcast
Downtown condo vs suburb house - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown condo vs suburb house

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Default Downtown condo vs suburb house

In the spring I will be moving to Calgary with my girlfriend. I have only ever spent 3 months at a time there before so I am looking for a little input on housing.

Scenario
    -I will be working downtown, she will be working in the south end of town (Quarry Park).
    -No plans on kids for at least 4 years (but want a dog)
    -Two vehicles
    -Enjoy spending time outdoors ie walks, camping etc.

Options
    -House/townhouse in Quarry Park/ McKenzie Towne/ Auburn Bay/ Cranston
    -Condo somewhere around the downtown core.
    -$340k to $390k (obviously the lower the better)

I would prefer a house myself because I have my tool chest/toys I would need a garage for. I understand though that living in the 'burbs means driving to the train station then a 45 min commute each day via c-train or bus. The upside to this would be that the girlfriend will be really close and it will cut down her commute. Another thing I like is multiple bedrooms so we can have our family/friends down

On the flip side a condo downtown means that I am within walking distance to the office and she will be headed out of downtown when everyone is coming in and vice versa meaning her drive is ~20 mins. We would also have the "downtown lifestyle" which she really wants. That being said though, I would need to find a place to store my tool chest/trailer. Also, when things start settling down and kids come into play we'd need to move to a house. Within my price range I've only been able to find single bedroom condos so that rules out having family come down.

I live(ish) in a condo when I am at work up in GP and I hate it. You have a long ass walk to your suite so you're eff'ed if you leave anything in your truck. Also the temperature control is horrible and I find it quite noisy. However, if need be I can live with it.

Each scenario has its pro's and con's so I'm really on the fence. I'd prefer to take the hassle of having to commute as opposed to her but at the same time its a pretty easy drive for her.

What does Beyond have to say? For those of you who live downtown and the south end of town what do you like about it or wish you could change?

Coles Notes
    Moving to CGY with the girlfriend, looking for advice on whether to live in downtown condo or house in the south end.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

As as single guy who bought a house for the garage / storage space I regretted it. I enjoy doing the maintenance and upkeep on the place, but it was just too much of a time drain on me doing it alone.

If you're moving in with the girlfriend, a house probably makes more sense (especially with a dog). Unless you're the type that still enjoy going out downtown at night a lot (doesn't sound like it) then that extra space will probably be important. Especially with 2 vehicles (tough to find condos with 2 assigned stalls).

My Ride
    Accord

I hate transit with a passion, so something to consider is that the dt crowd packs those trains like sardines for most of rush hour (and most stops too, it doesn't empty out very fast), but if you're taking it the other way (to mckenzie towne in the morning/dt evening) would be comparably nicer. When I lived in the nw I always watched those empty trains with some serious envy as I pushed my way onto mine.

My Ride
    15 4runner

Have you looked at the neighborhoods of Fairview/Acadia? Older mid 60's neighborhoods closer to downtown but quick route to Glenmore Tr to access Quarry Park. Older homes with large lots so they can require more time with maintenance as stated above.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You work downtown, and your chick wants a downtown lifestyle? Easy, live downtown.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ////M

I am in a similar boat - we bought in the burbs and are looking at innercity and condo's now. The commute is a killer, and such a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by chibwack
    I hate transit with a passion, so something to consider is that the dt crowd packs those trains like sardines for most of rush hour (and most stops too, it doesn't empty out very fast), but if you're taking it the other way (to mckenzie towne in the morning/dt evening) would be comparably nicer. When I lived in the nw I always watched those empty trains with some serious envy as I pushed my way onto mine.
    I will respond to the OP and this quote in the same fashion: All about timing.

You can avoid traffic based on timing; leave earlier/later, whatever it may be.

You can avoid rush hour traffic on the roads if you leave the house a little earlier than usual and leave later at work. I'm not saying a lot; 30 mins makes a difference.

Same thing with transit. I learned that heading to the North from downtown that you get a seat if you avoid the 4-5PM rush hour. I stay later than usual, get some more stuff done and off I go to get a seat.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I wouldn't move to Quarry Park, in the next few years it will be a total shit show down there for traffic. You'll have Imperial, Jacobs, Fluor, AMEC, Bayer and Cardel all within a 4 block radius, that's probably close to 7500 people, if not more.

I work in QP and would NEVER live in QP, Cranston/McKenzie/New Brighton is where I'll be looking. As for downtown, getting to QP she will have more than a 20 minute drive because once she gets close, it clogs up unless you are getting there anytime before 715 and leaving before 415-430.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Ugh long distance commutes are the worst. I did it for 3 years and the daily commute gets so tiring and frustrating with traffic/bad weather/bad drivers/gas prices.

Yea great if you avoid rush hour by going earlier/later but you can't do that everyday. Unless you will buy a house real close to the train, I wouldn't do it. The extra space in a home isn't worth it.

Your getting a job downtown, obviously live there. Let the girl do the driving. Besides she will be going against traffic which will be easier.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I missed the part where she wants a downtown lifestyle.

Have you considered a townhouse in Inglewood?

Default Re: Downtown condo vs suburb house

Originally posted by schurchill39
    [B]In the spring I will be moving to Calgary with my girlfriend. I have only ever spent 3 months at a time there before so I am looking for a little input on housing.

Scenario
    -I will be working downtown, she will be working in the south end of town (Quarry Park).
    -No plans on kids for at least 4 years (but want a dog)
    -Two vehicles
    -Enjoy spending time outdoors ie walks, camping etc.

Options
    -House/townhouse in Quarry Park/ McKenzie Towne/ Auburn Bay/ Cranston
    -Condo somewhere around the downtown core.
    -$340k to $390k (obviously the lower the better)
    Why does a "suburban house" have to be WAY deep in the SE?

Why not buy an older home in a more mature neighbourhood? There are nice houses (albeit older) in your price range and you can be close to both Quarry Park and with reasonable access to downtown.

Here are some examples.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...idKey=73190639

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=-200197035

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=-679586085

Others might need a bit of updating, but some new carpet, light fixtures and paint can go a long way. Just look for something with good bones.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

ramsey or inglewood. whole area has a ton going on and you can still find decent homes in your range every now and then

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ey=-2035155672

Were in Inglewood and my office is deep south. Takes me 18 min to get to work because i drivr against traffic both ways. Your gf will be around the same. I would not move back to the suburbs for anything. There are plenty of cute little houses in your price range close to downtown, you just gotta dig a little.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You work downtown, and your chick wants a downtown lifestyle? Easy, live downtown.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

You really only get the chance to live downtown twice. Before you have kids and after you retire. Enjoy the downtown lifestyle and the priceless convenience of walking home everyday.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by 2chains
    Have you looked at the neighborhoods of Fairview/Acadia? Older mid 60's neighborhoods closer to downtown but quick route to Glenmore Tr to access Quarry Park. Older homes with large lots so they can require more time with maintenance as stated above.
    I grew up in old homes all my life and absolutely hated them so that is something I want to avoid. I think as old as I'd want to go is 90's which definitely limits me.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Condo in quarry park. It will make things more manageable cost wise and for transportation, a house in Calgary can be overwhelming in terms of commute time, maintenance and the Nenshi property tax hikes.

Actually my alternate suggestion is to rent for a year while you learn the city.
    Quarry Park had lots of town houses we liked. They were on the higher end of the price scale but do-able none the less. I kind of like this idea because she could walk to work then in 3 or 4 years when we decide to move that area with be established with imperial etc so it won't be hard to sell.

As far as renting goes: she wants to, I don't. I have rented for 6 years and I am ready to own. I want my own space that belongs to me.

Originally posted by Manhattan

You really only get the chance to live downtown twice. Before you have kids and after you retire. Enjoy the downtown lifestyle and the priceless convenience of walking home everyday.
    We talked tonight and I showed her the thread with everyone's replies. Condo's downtown aren't looking so good anymore because now she wants two bedrooms which will put them out of our price range. Parking is also another shitty deal, I suppose I could sell my truck but I'd rather not.

Please keep the suggestions coming. All your insight is very helpful and gives us more to discuss.

EDIT: Another random idea that came out when we were talking is the possibility of turning whatever we buy now into a rental property down the line. That makes location a little more important now if that's something I want to look into.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by FraserB
    I wouldn't move to Quarry Park, in the next few years it will be a total shit show down there for traffic. You'll have Imperial, Jacobs, Fluor, AMEC, Bayer and Cardel all within a 4 block radius, that's probably close to 7500 people, if not more.

I work in QP and would NEVER live in QP, Cranston/McKenzie/New Brighton is where I'll be looking. As for downtown, getting to QP she will have more than a 20 minute drive because once she gets close, it clogs up unless you are getting there anytime before 715 and leaving before 415-430.
    I would take this advice to heart. I used to work in QP for Jacobs and just getting out towards Glenmore then Deerfoot was a pain.

THEN Deerfoot itself during rush hour.

My Ride
    Accord

If you're in town go for a drive into downtown around 7am tomorrow, and then back out around 4... you'll realize pretty quickly that you don't want to do that every day. And don't think its limited to after 4pm or whatever, I've gotten on 5th ave to memorial and just getting to the exit took about 45 minutes......at 2pm (on a friday mind you)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by schurchill39

I grew up in old homes all my life and absolutely hated them so that is something I want to avoid. I think as old as I'd want to go is 90's which definitely limits me.

location cant be changed, the building can. buy a house you can be happy with for x number of years, then rip it out and build what you want... maybe even a duplex, which would give you your rental property... or just a nice chunk of money when sold

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast