Quantcast
Comfortable dress shoes? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfortable dress shoes?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

O'Connor's has good AE Sale right now. Tried on some Nomad wing tips at lunch today. Everything feels weird when you've been wearing sneakers so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    O'Connor's has good AE Sale right now. Tried on some Nomad wing tips at lunch today. Everything feels weird when you've been wearing sneakers so long.
    Try their Fifth Avenue. That should be a staple for anyone!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Eh, I don't need oxfords to wear with my khakis. Prefer a derby style. And I'm 100% over black shoes. Actually, I'm over black anything. Real colours only.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, have been busy but pulled the trigger on that same pair of AE Nomads from O'Connors today at lunch. They make that shoe in a lot of variety, from "pebble leather" to suede.
    Here's what I got, the "short wing" style, down from $475 to $249 and they even threw in some shoe trees for me. Probably because I'm a hell of a guy. I think this sale ends tomorrow.
    Name:  20190830_133203.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  72.4 KB

My Ride
    Exploded.

Nice! Great deal if it came with shoe trees.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not sure if the shoe trees were free by mistake or on purpose. I am such a great guy that it was probably on purpose. I think they were supposed to be $30.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How long do you guys find it takes to break in a new pair of dress shoes? Man these AE's aren't awesome yet. Although they have a lot more structure than the cheap shoes I've been wearing, so I'd expect a difference.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How long do you guys find it takes to break in a new pair of dress shoes? Man these AE's aren't awesome yet. Although they have a lot more structure than the cheap shoes I've been wearing, so I'd expect a difference.
    Takes a while. If you're having issues with the heel and abrasion at the Achilles, you can get it rolled at O'Connors.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Takes a while. If you're having issues with the heel and abrasion at the Achilles, you can get it rolled at O'Connors.
    My heels always rub on everything. I wear through that spot on every pair of shoes I own, even runners and hikers. Except cowboy boots and blundstones, because they are designed to slip.

They rolled that spot when I bought them, but may get it done again. First day I owned them I had a customer meeting across town and ended up walking like 5k in them. That was stupid. blistered my heels all to shit. Trying a more gentle break-in now.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My heels always rub on everything. I wear through that spot on every pair of shoes I own, even runners and hikers. Except cowboy boots and blundstones, because they are designed to slip.

They rolled that spot when I bought them, but may get it done again. First day I owned them I had a customer meeting across town and ended up walking like 5k in them. That was stupid. blistered my heels all to shit. Trying a more gentle break-in now.
    You might need a heel pad to lift it above the spot?

If your heels rub, the shoe might not be fit properly. They shouldn't be slipping - my heels slip in most shoes too, but with some effort I have always been able to find shoes that don't slip. I have 3 pairs of AE and they were comfortable pretty much from the get-go, but they do wear in a bit over time and get better. It's really important that you have a proper fitting and buy from the last that fits your foot type the best. You might need a light insole or heel riser. If your heels slip that suggests you might not have the correct shoe - sounds like you often have the issue though so maybe it's tough. In the meantime, stick some moleskin to your heel area so you don't get mutilated on the long walks. You can try thicker socks too, and lacing the shoe one eyelet higher (if available).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If your heels rub, the shoe might not be fit properly. They shouldn't be slipping - my heels slip in most shoes too, but with some effort I have always been able to find shoes that don't slip. I have 3 pairs of AE and they were comfortable pretty much from the get-go, but they do wear in a bit over time and get better. It's really important that you have a proper fitting and buy from the last that fits your foot type the best. You might need a light insole or heel riser. If your heels slip that suggests you might not have the correct shoe - sounds like you often have the issue though so maybe it's tough. In the meantime, stick some moleskin to your heel area so you don't get mutilated on the long walks. You can try thicker socks too, and lacing the shoe one eyelet higher (if available).
    Yeah there's more than one thing at work here. I don't blame shoes anymore if they rub my heel, because every shoe ever has done it. Went through a lot of trial and error with hiking boots back when I was into backpacking, and every rememdy that tries to "lock in" the heel with different or tighter lacing always made things worse. Possibly an issue with my gait, possibly with the shape of my foot.

Breaking in these AE's should help though. a long walk in brand new stiff shoes is a recipe for disaster no matter who you are.

use moleskin on hotspots while breaking in new shoes
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

These are my go-to

https://www.thebay.com/cole-haan-gra...es&N=302023689

Wore them last week at a conference. 50km+ over 3 days. Felt perfectly fine after.

^^ Those have a huge sole but look super comfy.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Bump

Anyone find sales for polishes and leather conditioner?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Buck up and get saphir at O'Connor's.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Although a bit late, O'Connors downtown is closing and has some great deals. Majority of the shoes are on for $179 and you get 20% off that if you buy 3 or more pairs.
    I think just a few weeks left..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the footwear store right downtown?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

20% off $179 is still more than what I am willing to pay to look respectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast