Quantcast
Differential Problems and Questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Differential Problems and Questions

My Ride

Default Differential Problems and Questions

Last weekend my ABS light came on, then heard some rattling in the rear end. I took off the diff cover and saw 3 metallic looking marbles

1 ring gear bolt, and 2 carrier bolts sheared off. Diff is full of metallic shavings. Ring gear face looks ok (to my untrained eye), but I assume every bearing has been wiped out. The bolts stayed away from the rest of the diff, they just bounced around the ring gear bolt heads (which all are trashed now). ABS ring is demolished. Oh, and its a 31 spline 8.8 with a factory torsen LSD, supposedly the strongest made 8.8

So, with my last truck, I ordered a truetrac from Stan at Northridge and got Jay at Chanda to install it. Was very happy with the results of both. Was very impressed with the diff, too.

I'm thinking of replacing my trashed torsen with either a truetrac or a Eaton E-locker... this truck is going to see a bunch of offroading, and I'm wondering if I want to trade off everyday LSD for locking ability. I'm going to stay away from the auburn unit.

Is Jay still the go-to guy for getting diffs installed? And is Northridge is still a good place to buy? Thoughts on diff selection?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Go through Dave at Broken Axle or The Gear Center for install. I would order through the place you get it installed at so they will be able to deal with any warranty issues that might come up.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Locker for sure, part of the reason LSDs fail is the harsh engagement that occurs durring a slip situation. Many Diff manufacturers opt for higher preload On the clutch packs to limit the shock, but the higher the load the great the force it will take to slip and the same for what it wi take to re-lock or stop slipping.

Lockers are also great because the can retain day to day drivability and still out perform LSD set ups

Lock pin failures are typically due to incorrect torque durring build, diff over heating due causing the loctite to soft and allow the bolt to release or repeated extreme heat/cool cycle causing the metal to fatigue.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Two fantastic points by FraserB and Rickdatuner.

If you're going to be doing MOAR wheeling, I would strongly suggest a selectable locker like you said the Eaton E-Locker, ARB Air locker (if there's one available). That setup you have the best off all worlds, easy daily driver in the city and the option to lock up at an obstacle in the track. I run the ARB Air Locker myself, and it's one of the BEST upgrades to date that the 4Runner has had bar none! Plus, since it runs off of the air, I use it to air tires up as well!

My Ride
    Ferrari

x2 on the arb air locker. Lookin at one for my F-350.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride

Thanks RickDaTuner... you gave me some points to consider. To clarify, I wasn't thinking of putting a clutch type LSD in the truck, but a helical type. I can get a clutch type from the junkyard pretty easily.

So, the Eaton E-Locker is out. I hear its a great diff except in the 8.8, where it likes to eat the locking pins.

So that leaves me with the truetrac, the ARB, and the Ox unit (which I know nothing about).

I like the idea of the ARB, just not sure if I want to spend that sort of money right now. I guess I'll get some quotes and see how much the damage is

My Ride
    Ferrari

You dont have to buy the whole ARB setup now. Really, you can buy the locker and have it installed, and either buy the air system later on or build your own. Just plug off the line from the diff.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Do a lock rite and call it a day, the "quirks" are what make it fun
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride

Originally posted by ex1z7
    Do a lock rite and call it a day, the "quirks" are what make it fun
    I might do a lunchbox locker if it wasn't a daily drive, and if the ring and pinion didn't have to come out.

I decided to try out an Ox. It was that or ARB, both have their pluses and minuses. What swayed me to the Ox is it being able to be shifted manually if the cable fails and that it comes with an armored diff cover.

I should post up some carnage pics...

My Ride

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version