Quantcast
recommend 27" monitor for photo editing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: recommend 27" monitor for photo editing

My Ride
    rally pig

Question recommend 27" monitor for photo editing

I'm finding 24" 1080p small nowadays for photo editing and am looking to upgrade to 27"

currently my top 3 choices are
    HP ZR2740w
    Asus PB278Q
    Dell U2711 refurbished

which one would you recommend on getting?
    i know the u2711 is excellent but how does it compare with the new IPS monitors?

the SyncMaster S27A850D would be nice but I'm not looking to spend over $800.
    Last edited by taemo; 11-27-2012 at 08:08 PM.

im looking at the asus as well as it the fastest of the bunch as i game a bit too, from a speed point of view i havent found another 27 ips even close

My Ride
    Nothing exciting

Dell u2711. Great reviews. Here's one for 779.00 brand new.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...74932c11010089

Found it through shopbot.ca

My Ride
    rally pig

^yeah that's what's making me consider it, plus I saw on ebay refurbished ones for $630.

just remembered though that our boss gives us a $200 gift card from amazon every year, so might snag either HP, Asus or Samsung later on in december

My Ride
    2012 Impreza

I have the 24" version of the Ultrasharp, and i absolutely love the thing. Colours are vibrant and accurate. I went back to look at some of my photos i edited with my old monitor and there was a huge difference. Ended up color correcting some of the photos because they were that much off. Worth every penny imo. And Dell always has them on sale so you shouldn't have any troubles getting ~200 off.

My Ride
    is broken

I bought the ASUS when they had a preorder bonus of a free headset so it was a no brainer. I like the monitor, decent colors and no bright spots. Iv never used other monitors of this caliber so i cant compare but my vote is for the Asus because i thoroughly enjoy it.

Only issue is sometimes it has problems coming out of sleep but that could be a display port issue?

I wish there was more in the QHD market. Apple has better monitors why isnt the market catching up.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The Dells are highly regarded IPS panels. Maybe wait until they have the countdown to Christmas sales and get it then. They're on sale often enough it seems.

Just checked didn't realize the 779 was the sale price. Expensive but worth it imo. Huge price jump from 24 to 27 wow.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I would sit closer to the 24" panel and upgrade to a TTL

My Ride
    rally pig

^lol you're making this even more difficult for me.

I was online chatting with the dell rep as they are having problem with online check-out right now, so I guess it was a sign not to buy the U2711 and closed the page down.
    Might just wait mid-december and buy the HP or Samsung off Amazon.

trade you my M6 for your M6TTL if you want
    have you tried your speedlights with it?

Careful with those new Dell's, specifically that 2711, they have an anti-glare coating on them that a lot of people hate (others don't seem to mind). It seems to be the best bang for the buck other than that. Hardcore editors complain about the even-ness of DELL's back lighting as well but I doubt it's serious.

Based on my research the NEC PA271 is the way to go, it's just really expensive. B&H had it on for $7XX a day or two ago and I missed it.

I know ASUS and LG have some new IPS panels out now that I haven't had time to look in to. I know the ASUS is LED backlit, and I'm sensitive to the flicker of the LED's so I prefer the traditional backlighting. I use LED backlit monitors at work and I don't like them.

I was going to buy a new 27" but then I found a way to fix the power button on my 24" haha. I'd have bought the dell if I weren't scared about that coating. Also now that I know the NEC has dipped into the $700's it bothers me lol.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Don't know much about your options you listed, but LED backlighting is awful for photo editing, and isn't great for consistent colour and calibration readings. AVOID.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Do you use duals or just a large single? Running duals will allow you to have most of your tools on one monitor and the photo on the other. I'm assuming you rock a lot of keyboard shortcuts so having most toolbars a 'long' reach from the photo won't be a big deal.

Once you use duals, you'll never be able to go back to a single again.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    rally pig

^I run duals at work but at home I'm more than happy with just the 24" other than me wanting something higher res than 1080p to view the photo more easily.
    If I end up getting a 27", I might pair it up with my 24", maybe, for fun.

so I should avoid the HP ZR2740w ?
    Its IPS but LED backlit.

Looked at the NEC PA271 but yea it's really expensive, I've seen it go as low as $1000 but wow, at around $700 I would buy one right away.

Originally posted by taemo
    ^I run duals at work but at home I'm more than happy with just the 24" other than me wanting something higher res than 1080p to view the photo more easily.
    If I end up getting a 27", I might pair it up with my 24", maybe, for fun.

so I should avoid the HP ZR2740w ?
    Its IPS but LED backlit.

Looked at the NEC PA271 but yea it's really expensive, I've seen it go as low as $1000 but wow, at around $700 I would buy one right away.
    Haha yeah I was pissed I missed that one. It was $700 and change, I would have bought it on the spot. Now it's back ordered at B&H, no surprise there. I've never seen it below $1000 either. I have seen it as cheap as $1100 with the Spyder calibrator though, but I missed that one too. Now I'll never want to pay more than $7XX for it that I know it's been that cheap haha.

And yeah I would generally avoid LED backlit monitors. From what I read, calibration can be more difficult, color is off, and they flicker. I notice my work monitors flicker all the time and it's super annoying. The color is also shit, but they are TN panels.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I'm on a zr2740w right now and don't have any issues with it yet. I've been using it for 7 months, but I use it for CADD, not p-choppin'

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

NEC PA271w is $799 at B&H now. Back ordered, yes, but you can still buy it at this ridiculous price and wait for it to come in. What a crazy deal! I paid like $1500 for mine without Spectraiew.

(You have to add it to your cart to see the $799 price)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...idescreen.html

My Ride
    rally pig

^thanks for the tip, it's showing up as US$952 for me now, total $1083 shipped to Calgary.

going to wait and watch it for the next couple of days and see how the price fluctuates

I see the $952 as well. I will buy it instantly if it hits $799 again though!

Taemo, fire me a PM if you see it for less and I'll do the same!

$952 is a good price but it bothers me too much that it sometimes sells for $799 haha.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

It was $799 a few days ago when I checked Accents link. With shipping and taxes etc using purolator it was around $940 I think.

Just update this thread if it comes up as $799 again

I talked to B&H and they wouldn't honor the $799 and said they "have no information on future pricing" haha. Unfortunately we're just going to have to watch it I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast