Quantcast
Acceptable Window Install? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Window Install?

Default Acceptable Window Install?

So I had custom windows made for my house, and they have almost been completely installed, but the gap between the window and wood frame seems a little to large to me. I'm thinking I'm going to call the window company to complain.

I took a measuring tape, and it looks like some of the gaps are approx 2" on each side. I did some internet searching and it seems 1" is what most people deem acceptable. Do you guys have any input?

I've attached some photos for more info:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

is 2" acceptable- yes and no. In a lot of renovations. the window is made to fit the outside (brickmold-style installs) and sometimes the gap can be that much, or more.
    In this case, because it's an insert, I would say no- I'm not really sure why they even installed it that way, and how they plan to finish it- where I worked, we would have made a brickmold window that fit that opening, and it would have been probably three inches bigger each way.
    Last edited by 95teetee; 12-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.

My Ride

here's a quick photoshop of what I mean (the window is distorted because I couldn't find a pic with the right proportions, but you can see what I mean

that said, if the installers are finishing around the exterior and interior, they may have something in mind for completing the work which will make it look alright- you'll lose a little daylight area, but the finished effect will probably look fine (if that's their plan).

Btw, when I was doing it, it wasn't extremely unusual to have something like that- if, that is, there was some reason we couldn't get in there to get more exact measurements- there were several cases where we made the windows slightly smaller (to make sure they'd fit) and then finished around them.

edit- this p/s may show more what I mean:
    Last edited by 95teetee; 12-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. Seems like you have a lot of knowledge on this.

So if you were in my situation, what would you do?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I would call the manufacturer and ask what the max they recommend is.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Thanks for the suggestion, I wrote to the manufacturer, I'll keep everyone posted what they say.

My Ride

I guess the problem is whether the installer also built the windows, and whose measurements they used...if the installers supplied the measurements to the window company (if they're different companies), they're entirely responsible for the sizes.
    Also, I'm not sure they would really do anything about it, if the windows can be reasonably finished to 'look like they belong there'.
    The cheap-ass (second) owner of the place I worked used to take about an inch off of the measurements I supplied him to "make sure they fit", and they would take about a tube of silicone around each one to finish them. Looked like hell, but there was nothing I could do about it (and nothing my boss would do about it). The main reason I left the place.

I hired a company, but I think they subcontracted out the install and window fabrication. I've put a message in with the window fabrication company.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

The manufacturer I work for suggests anywhere from 3/4" to 1" overall difference between Rough Opening and Frame Size (about 1/2" on each side), which should be enough room to make the window square in the opening. Installers have different techniques for installing, or sometimes there are reasons behind making such a difference. I'd contact the installer and discuss your concerns with them.

I would like to see you final installation when it's complete. Please post pics! I am curious to see how they finish off your window.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    21 Ram

My assumption would be to clad the exterior with what looks to be about a 3" border. Not horrible, but it looks like the guy that measured wasn't confident with his skills or tape measure, but that cautious is kind of weird.

We usually work on the same principle of about 1/2". Did you have drywall return or casing to start with?

Justin,

I'm not sure what drywall return or casing refers to, but the original windows were from 1962, and we went stud to stud for the new install. I'm thinking the reason they made the window smaller was just to cheap out a bit, like 95Teetee mentioned. I just hope it doesn't effect performance (sound/heat insulation).

Tomaz,

I will definately post some pics when they are completed. And i'm going to contact their sales guy now.

Oh and I called the manufaturer, they seem whishy washy about the acceptable gap. I emailed a photo to the guy and hopefully he comes back with something more concrete.
    Last edited by the_man; 12-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm wondering if they charged you for a "custom window" size, but just went and bought some off the shelf ones, or from the returns stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    21 Ram

It sounds like Tik Tok nailed it on the head.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

oh jeeze, I bloody well hope not!

the_man, Who was the installer and/or window manufacturer? I don't recognize the extrusion.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride

^I'm curious too- at first glance I thought it looked close to the Veka products we used where I worked, but the profile is definitely different.

btw, when Justin asked about the drywall return/ casing, he was asking whether the windows had trim around them or whether the drywall was finished right to the window (usually 'wrapped around' the wall right to the window frame system).

also, I 'm leaning towards agreeing with what Tik-Tok said about the windows not being custom made for the application.
    Did you choose the window styles (i.e. slider, casement, awning, etc.) when you ordered the windows?
    If so, it's less likely that they grabbed them pre-made, but still possible.

The company I hired was Canadian Choice Windows. From the sticker on the window, it looks like the windows were fabricated by hometech windows and doors.

I choose slider windows just because they were the cheapest (this is a rental property).

In regards to the old window, they had a wood trim around them.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

So, it finally makes sense to me: This is an Ontario company. 95teetee, along with other window guys on here will understand.

Either way, they way window installation works out east is much different than here these days. Out East, installers will use an insert-style window, which is what you have in the rough opening right now. It will have no nailfin or applied brickmould to use for the install, and rarely comes with any interior options. Also, seeing the windows have no applied options to them, they are inherently less expensive than the standard here, but are more labour intensive.

Either way, the_man, I do not find the method of install used in your home acceptable. That form of install has a higher failure rate, there is no need to have a 4"difference between frame size and RO, and I don't see a way to properly flash and seal that form of install for the long-term. I'd be pretty upset.

Keep an eye on that calking as you may need to re-seal that thing yearly.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast