Quantcast
Hot water tank issues - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hot water tank issues

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fucking Clearview charged me $200 service call and quoted me a $5000 water tank. Fuckers.
    Jesus, that is absolutely outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Jesus, that is absolutely outrageous.
    That's the business model - charge you $100-300 (higher on weekends), then provide you with an outrageous quote that you are likely to accept because you're already $300 in the hole, and they sometimes offer to waive the site fee if you accept their price-gouged job which more than makes up for it on their end.

Every "major" plumbing company that I called operates this way.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Pete the plumber for the win. Getting a new 50 gallon (10yr warranty) installed for 1189. 1139+50 to change the vent from 3" to 4". They where here last week to replace a large chunk of our stack. Half the cost one of the other companies wanted.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Yeah, I found that Pete's prices were about the lowest around, though in the end I went with Canadian Water Heaters as they were a hair cheaper than Pete and their customer service was excellent.

I thought about Pete the Plumber if I had to replace mine...but the online reviews for the Rheem brand were less than favorable.
    Great if you have a 10 year warranty I guess but there's still the hassle if / when it breaks.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Had the hard copper pipe on the hot water tank outlet spring a leak this week, Fucks sake, that's annoying, and I'm glad we were home, not that much water to deal with. Rona didn't carry the FIPxFIP hose I needed, but Home Depot did. Wasn't 24" like the one I took out, so needed to cut the PEX and install more. Musta rotated the PEX because then THAT sprung a leak at the next connector. Fucks sake. Got that cut out and replaced and I thought I was good to go.
    Couldn't get the pilot light to re-ignite. It's the old fashioned type with a standing pilot, and the sparker wouldn't ignite it. Opened up the bolted access hatch, and used BBQ lighter to ignite pilot, that worked. I'm sitting there wondering why it was so hard to ignite.
    hiss, sputter, hiss, sputter, da fuq?
    Yep, there's water dripping onto the flame.
    Doesn't seem to be coming from either connection on the top of the tank. what the absolute hell? Looked it up (in this thread) and discovered the unit is nearly 10 years old (installed 2014). Fuck it, I'm not messing around any further with a tank that might be developing leaks.
    Called Pete the Plumber, he was available Tuesday and gave me a quote I thought was reasonable over the phone. Called Canadian Water Heaters (https://www.canadianwaterheaters.com/) and they gave a quote that was within $10 of Pete, and could come next day (today, Friday). Good enough.

Guys showed up today, had the tools and parts they needed, and were in my house for 39 minutes including cleanup and payment. So far so good. Zero hesitation recommending these dudes.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 05-17-2024 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Had the hard copper pipe on the hot water tank outlet spring a leak this week, Fucks sake, that's annoying, and I'm glad we were home, not that much water to deal with. Rona didn't carry the FIPxFIP hose I needed, but Home Depot did. Wasn't 24" like the one I took out, so needed to cut the PEX and install more. Musta rotated the PEX because then THAT sprung a leak at the next connector. Fucks sake. Got that cut out and replaced and I thought I was good to go.
    Couldn't get the pilot light to re-ignite. It's the old fashioned type with a standing pilot, and the sparker wouldn't ignite it. Opened up the bolted access hatch, and used BBQ lighter to ignite pilot, that worked. I'm sitting there wondering why it was so hard to ignite.
    hiss, sputter, hiss, sputter, da fuq?
    Yep, there's water dripping onto the flame.
    Doesn't seem to be coming from either connection on the top of the tank. what the absolute hell? Looked it up (in this thread) and discovered the unit is nearly 10 years old (installed 2014). Fuck it, I'm not messing around any further with a tank that might be developing leaks.
    Called Pete the Plumber, he was available Tuesday and gave me a quote I thought was reasonable over the phone. Called Canadian Water Heaters (https://www.canadianwaterheaters.com/) and they gave a quote that was within $10 of Pete, and could come next day (today, Friday). Good enough.

Guys showed up today, had the tools and parts they needed, and were in my house for 39 minutes including cleanup and payment. So far so good. Zero hesitation recommending these dudes.
    What did it cost for future reference?

Hopefully you didn't get a Bradford White. I recently learned from a coworker that they have a Honeywell valve emits a small amount of gas (feature, not a bug) to avoid vapor lock.
    That smell would drive me insane.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I didn't overthink the tank type or brand before install. Needed it done, got it done.

However, here's the details.
    Tank is Bradford White Model RG250s6N (atmospheric vent, natural gas, 50 gallon)
    Sells for $1305 at AMRE
    My Price, delivered, installed and old one taken away was $1589 + GST.

Damned fair.

No idea if that thing has the valve your coworker was talking about. It's the "Icon" gas valve. Don't notice a smell. Don't think it's venting anything.

That's good, must be model specific then.
    Good pricing as well.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Our Bradford White Model RG240S6N has been here for almost a year (1 month shy) and no gas smells at all. ES did get a great price; 10 more gallons and hundreds of dollars less than ours.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Hopefully you didn't get a Bradford White. I recently learned from a coworker that they have a Honeywell valve emits a small amount of gas (feature, not a bug) to avoid vapor lock.
    That smell would drive me insane.
    Your coworker is insane. It's all vapour and any leak is not going to pass any inspection. Nothing smellable anything, which is very tiny. I wouldn't accept that any more than a 'small' gas leak from a new car.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 05-17-2024 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Your coworker is insane. It's all vapour and any leak is not going to pass any inspection. Nothing smellable anything, which is very tiny. I wouldn't accept that any more than a 'small' gas leak from a new car.
    Yup, I thought the exact same thing. He had the company come back and they verified with the manufacturer. They offered him 50% off to replace the tank they just put in

You can find examples online : https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/co...mment/ksruhbi/

It was a TIL moment for me.

My Ride
    Trucks

That’s terrific, can’t hold in 0.5 psi of pressure? I think a piece of new Kleenex could hold more pressure leak free.

I had Pete replace mine a few months back as well.

Despite the terrible commercials the service was great.

Guy was in and out in about 2 hours for a 50Gallon replacement and a few water valves.

Price was as per the commercials with a few dollars extra for the water valves.

Will probably get em back for some electrical work this summer as well.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I woulda used Pete if they weren't backed up for the long weekend. The person who answers the phone for Pete was efficient and friendly and clear.

I woulda used Pete if they weren't backed up for the long weekend. The person who answers the phone for Pete was efficient and friendly and clear.
    Yeah I used Pete a while back when the 50g tanks were $1008 installed and they were great. My buddy was impatient and used Knights Plumbing for a 50g hot water tank replacement around 3-4 months ago and it cost him $2500 installed. I personally would've went to the gym just to shower and wait the 3 days if I were him to save the $900. Mind you he wanted it done right away so I think it was next day service? The short story is never take advice from someone named Shane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Yeah I used Pete a while back when the 50g tanks were $1008 installed and they were great. My buddy was impatient and used Knights Plumbing for a 50g hot water tank replacement around 3-4 months ago and it cost him $2500 installed. I personally would've went to the gym just to shower and wait the 3 days if I were him to save the $900. Mind you he wanted it done right away so I think it was next day service? The short story is never take advice from someone named Shane.
    You could rent a hotel for a couple nights and still come out ahead.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Ya maybe a poverty hotel. Like 4 star, ewww.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you have a family, you realize quickly how little a few hundred bucks is worth. Littledanny knowz

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast