Quantcast
Help with photography general liability insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help with photography general liability insurance

My Ride
    G

Default Help with photography general liability insurance

I'm having a hard time talking to my agent about what kind of insurance I need. First off, I'm just doing photography as a hobby and I've already discussed with a few studio owners about renting their studios for shooting in. He suggested I get general liability insurance just in case a model trips over the cord or I break something in their studio, I agree with that and started calling insurance companies.

First I talked to my insurance company that I have all my auto insurance through (statefarm). The insurance I was offered is a 2M liability and coverage of my gear for about 500$ a year. Then my agent started asking me the value of my home, how old it is etc. I'm assuming because it's to be treated as a home business. What if I'm not photographing out of my home though?

I also called the broker that the person I'm renting a studio from has used and they forwarded me a quote request form. It asked things like my anticipated gross receipts for upcoming year, years in business and years I've owned the business.

My question is, is this the correct insurance I need since I'm doing it more so for personal reasons and not as a business. I do agree I would like to be protected when I'm renting someone else's studio but I'm not making money off of my photography. Realistically I'd only be renting a studio for 4 hours a day about 2-3x a month if that. Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

The liability policy is an extension under your home policy, hence questions regarding the age/value of home. The State Farm agent was likely looking to provide a $1M increase to your current $1M via Umbrella policy.

http://www.statefarm.ca/insurance/pe...lity-umbrella/

You don't need a small business commercial general liability policy since it's not a registered business. Best to Talk to the SF agent again and explain your situation and what coverage they are offering (since I'm not in personal lines)

My Ride
    G

Hey thanks for pointing that out to me, I was really confused because my home insurance isn't even with statefarm, but I do have 3 vehicles insured under them. I'm pretty sure the policy she is trying to put me on is a commercial form of insurance. I'm having a hard time communicating with her because English isn't her first language and her accent is terribly thick.

So that's still standard practice even if my home insurance isn't with them? I had to send her pictures of the front and back of my house. I told her I was doing it as a hobby and not planning to make money but she still went ahead and put me through for a commercial liability. The quote is pretty cheap anyways but I'm just worried that it's not the right coverage because i don't own a business and if anything happens I'm scared they'd turn down a claim because I didn't register a company name and have a business license, even though it's not a business if that makes sense

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

If you are renting a studio for shooting.
    Umbrella or home based business insurance is the wrong coverage for you.
    Commercial general liability (CGL) policy is the correct coverage even if you are not making any money. (Just like a non profit organization or when people rent out a gym, wedding, etc - they require a CGL)

You CAN get a CGL even if you are not a registered business. You name is actually a legal entity for commercial insurance.

$500 for 2M coverage is very appropriate for your operation.
    Insurance Pro