Quantcast
Acura RSX, Base Model VS Type-S - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Acura RSX, Base Model VS Type-S

I know the front brakes are slightly upgraded on the S as well, not sure about the rears.

I like the RSX styling! 02 front and the 05 rear!

My Ride
    Has AWD

so far the only thing im worried about is the tranny but it looks like its not a critical failure issue, so far im leaning towards a type-s

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

If you're looking at base you might as well get a premium model. I have one and have loved it since the day I bought it. 5 speed, threw my own deck in there with ipod plug-in, heated leather seats and heated mirrors. No problems with the tranny, need to do my tranny fluid now that I've read through this thread and been reminded.

Still going strong at 234XXX km's. I use 89 fuel and get about 5-550kms/tank or 600+ on the highway. 5 speed also means less shifting. The RSX is a high revving car to begin with so you'll always be shifting whether its 5 or 6 speed.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Originally posted by MGCM
    so far the only thing im worried about is the tranny but it looks like its not a critical failure issue, so far im leaning towards a type-s
    I'm a fan of having the extra gear, so nice when you're driving on the highway!

My Ride
    Has AWD

im kinda excited for a test drive in the type-s now

My Ride
    V8s

If you get the type-s, consider running 89 instead of 91 gas. There's threads on here that talk about why its better (cause of our elevation and how it burns in N/A engines), and Rage has backed up the theory with some of his N/A cars as well.

Aside from that, no question would I rather have the type-s. Takes a boring slow car and turns it into something a little more fun. If nothing else, you get VTAK AND ITS AWESUM

(I have a 3.2cl type-s 6MT and would never ever want the non-s 3.2cl... I know its not an rsx, but similar comparison for type-s and not - slight bump in power, other little different odds and ends make for a much more enjoyable experience)

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by ArjayAquino

I'm a fan of having the extra gear, so nice when you're driving on the highway!
    The 6th gear on the type s and the 5th gear on the base are the same gear ratio and they both have the same final drive ratio. There is no difference in engine rpm in top gear between the 2 models.

The 5 speed transmission are known for 2nd and 3rd gear problems as well. It's the brass synchros Honda used in these early k series transmissions. They wear out too fast. Honda fixed the problem later with different material synchros but that wasn't until around 2008. The best way to combat this is frequent tranny oil changes with high quality fluid. Make sure the fluid you put in says brass friendly on the bottle.

My EP3 had notchy 2nd and 3rd gears so I started annual tranny fluid changes. Notchiness went away and so far so good.

OP, so long as the transmission feels perfect on the test drive you will be ok as long as you take good care of the transmission from that point forward. A bonus on these cars is that the clutch seems to last forever as long as it wasn't abused.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by cjblair
    If you get the type-s, consider running 89 instead of 91 gas. There's threads on here that talk about why its better (cause of our elevation and how it burns in N/A engines), and Rage has backed up the theory with some of his N/A cars as well.

Aside from that, no question would I rather have the type-s. Takes a boring slow car and turns it into something a little more fun. If nothing else, you get VTAK AND ITS AWESUM

(I have a 3.2cl type-s 6MT and would never ever want the non-s 3.2cl... I know its not an rsx, but similar comparison for type-s and not - slight bump in power, other little different odds and ends make for a much more enjoyable experience)
    im tempted to have a baseline tune done on it to smooth it all out and set it for either 89 or 91 specifically....... if i get a type-s

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

Originally posted by Chantastic

Not to steal the thread, but I was also looking into Greddy kits but I'm worried I might actually kill the car with one. How much mileage was on the car when you installed it? Has it been reliable since? I have 171XXX on mine and as I've stated before, the transmission I do wonder about... at this point it's either I boost it and be happy/safe, or I sell it

(and of course I have to ask, have you dyno'd it?)
    You Cannot kill your car with the greddy kit.
    installed the kit when it had about 160 XXX on the car.
    put about 30 XXXkm on it in the last 2 years.
    I drive her to Vancouver at least once a year. no problems.
    this year I even AutoX 'd a few times...
    No over heating issues (still on OEM rad)
    No tranny problems. (never had any)

Running the front mount intercooler. Custom 3inch turbo back exhaust. Upgraded 550cc injectors and KPro
    Dyno'd locally at TechMotion.
    Made 245whp
    Wanting a little more power this year; Water/Meth kit w/ RBC intake manifold coming this winter

Funny How everyone talks about the 3rd hear problem.
    My car was owned by an "enthusiast" since day one. (drove that bitch hard)
    Not a single problem.
    The only gear that was "bad" in my tranny was 2nd and that I because I missed shifted when I was at the 1/4mile
    Nothing was even "Wrong" with it (eg. not grinding in gear or poping out)
    The teeth just didn't look perfect (we even reused the syncro) when it was removed to install my LSD so we replaced it while we were in there.

What I do miss from a Stock Type S that my Base Beater doesn't have is the lovely Vtec Cross over.... lol
    Huge dip right before vtec plays the best mind game on you making you think the car pulls so HARD during vtec
    Last edited by 403civic; 12-13-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Originally posted by 403civic

You Cannot kill your car with the greddy kit.
    installed the kit when it had about 160 XXX on the car.
    put about 30 XXXkm on it in the last 2 years.
    I drive her to Vancouver at least once a year. no problems.
    this year I even AutoX 'd a few times...
    No over heating issues (still on OEM rad)
    No tranny problems. (never had any)

Running the front mount intercooler. Custom 3inch turbo back exhaust. Upgraded 550cc injectors and KPro
    Dyno'd locally at TechMotion.
    Made 245whp
    Wanting a little more power this year; Water/Meth kit w/ RBC intake manifold coming this winter

Funny How everyone talks about the 3rd hear problem.
    My car was owned by an "enthusiast" since day one. (drove that bitch hard)
    Not a single problem.
    The only gear that was "bad" in my tranny was 2nd and that I because I missed shifted when I was at the 1/4mile
    Nothing was even "Wrong" with it (eg. not grinding in gear or poping out)
    The teeth just didn't look perfect (we even reused the syncro) when it was removed to install my LSD so we replaced it while we were in there.

What I do miss from a Stock Type S that my Base Beater doesn't have is the lovely Vtec Cross over.... lol
    Huge dip right before vtec plays the best mind game on you making you think the car pulls so HARD during vtec
    Thanks! I really appreciate the info. What kind of torque figures did it spit out (and at what psi)? I am after torque more than horsepower, though I'd love to hit around 270whp. The nice thing about the greddy I've noticed is that it usually has similar hp and torque numbers, unlike a supercharger setup which is basically torqueless as far as I am concerned.

On that note, I've been eyeballing this: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=829237

You should be able to run it without the turbo manifold, can't you? I mean, of course you'll have some power loss but otherwise is there anything bad about that?

Sorry for so many questions.

Oh and also (to everyone), I just saw a few things online about the factory Bose subwoofer over top the spare tire. I don't have one! Are all Type S' supposed have that? Or only after a certain year? I don't see any wiring for it but I didn't look too hard. My car was missing the privacy cover when I bought it and the guy who I bought the car from had no idea it was even supposed to have one (he only owned it for 6 months). I wouldn't be surprised if the previous, previous owner removed it (the sub)?

If my car never came with one, would it be hard to obtain/install the same unit? The car has pretty good bass as is (upgraded Alpine Type S speakers w/an aftermarket deck) but I sure wouldn't mind a sub if it were designed to fit there.
    Last edited by Chantastic; 12-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

......You should be able to run it without the turbo manifold, can't you? I mean, of course you'll have some power loss but otherwise is there anything bad about that?
    You shouldn't have any problems running no turbo manifold.
    you generate less exhaust velocity; but for the price of a manifold isn't worth the extra 10 hp at most...
    The only reason i'm running the shitty Greddy log manifold is because it came with my kit;
    Bitch is heavy too; thinking about taking it off this season and trying it out.

....Are all Type S' supposed have that? Or only after a certain year? ......
    All Type S with the Vin 2C804952 or older did not come with a "Bose Subwoofer" in the Canadian Market.
    Why? I don't know.
    Might be hard to override the bose amp;deck combo
    its gonna take srs wiring to get that baby runnin'

My Ride
    Has AWD

forecast changed and no snow tonight........anyone on here with a type-s willing to meet me tonight and take me for a ride? show me some of the power and the basic rundown of their daily driving experience with it? its not worth a ton but im happy to buy u a hot drink from timmies. im not looking for hours of yourtime, just a quick maximum 30min rundown of your daily driving experience with it.
    Last edited by MGCM; 12-14-2012 at 03:46 PM.

My Ride
    93 Prelude, 02 WRX

Can't offer that with my wifes car due to bald ass summers on it, but I will say that we have also had 3rd gear issues, and the hood release needs to be lubed well now that the car is 6 years old.

Fuel mileage has been decent but not stellar, very comfy and useful car though.

And the US Type-S does get heated mirrors, but not seats

The car does not have the pickup down low of my other cars, but is such a screamer at high revs! The suspension is great for daily use, but still makes for a very agile handling car, and brakes have no issues.

My Ride
    Slow Injected

Fuel economy should be good as long as you shift early and don't have a really heavy foot.

I don't have a type S but my Civic has a K20 engine as well. Vtec'd quite a bit more than usual on my last tank and still managed 28.8mpg (8.2L/100km)!

Originally posted by MGCM
    forecast changed and no snow tonight........anyone on here with a type-s willing to meet me tonight and take me for a ride? show me some of the power and the basic rundown of their daily driving experience with it? its not worth a ton but im happy to buy u a hot drink from timmies. im not looking for hours of yourtime, just a quick maximum 30min rundown of your daily driving experience with it.
    I'd say yes but I'm about to head out soon. Had I read this earlier... anyway if you're in the North around Deerfoot or Market mall at all, send me a PM

I'd ask the same of 403civic, but I guess yours is stored for now. I'd love to ride in that so I can see if I really do wanna boost mine or just sell it

My Ride
    Has AWD

I'd say yes but I'm about to head out soon. Had I read this earlier... anyway if you're in the North around Deerfoot or Market mall at all, send me a PM

I'd ask the same of 403civic, but I guess yours is stored for now. I'd love to ride in that so I can see if I really do wanna boost mine or just sell it
    u have a pm

My Ride
    RSX-S

just a quick comment about bypassing the bose sub - there is a wiring harness you can get to do the job.

there was an old school alberta dc5 site back in the days that showed a wiring map of those bose sub and amp, i think it even gives directions to bypass it manually.

edit

im not mechanic by any means but i would assume if you rev matched, down shifted you wouldnt have the problem with pre-mature syncro failure?? i know there upshifting but you know.......
    Last edited by KISS_ME; 12-14-2012 at 08:54 PM.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by KISS_ME
    im not mechanic by any means but i would assume if you rev matched, down shifted you wouldnt have the problem with pre-mature syncro failure?? i know there upshifting but you know.......
    If the premature failure of the synchros was simply chalked up to poor driving skills Honda would not have changed the synchro design and material composition in the later transmissions.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by KISS_ME
    just a quick comment about bypassing the bose sub - there is a wiring harness you can get to do the job.

there was an old school alberta dc5 site back in the days that showed a wiring map of those bose sub and amp, i think it even gives directions to bypass it manually.
    That was dc5ab.com... that has since shut down i believe but you can probably get the bypass details from clubrsx.com

BTW if anyone needs the rotors from a 05 Type-S let me know... I switched to the A-Spec slotted rotors back in 2006 and never got rid the stock rotors when I sold the car in 2009.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast