Quantcast
Any knowledgeable Nissan techs around? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Any knowledgeable Nissan techs around?

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Default Any knowledgeable Nissan techs around?

I'm looking for a bit of guidance on this issue. It's a 1997 Pathfinder 4x4. I've have a vibration between 70 and 90 KM/H. I actually had a vibration before that but I've narrowed it down a bit.

When I first bought my truck it needed a bunch of maintenance and some parts replaced so here is what I got done so far:

New Springs
    New Struts and shocks
    New front lower control arms and ball joints
    New rear lower control arms
    New front sway bar links and bushings
    New tires (last week)
    Alignment (last week)

I ran the truck on the hoist today and the right rear wheel and tire seem to bounce more than the others so I will be switching it with the spare to see if it helps. The vibration is felt in the whole truck and it gets a lot worst when in 4Hi. I can feel it in my seat and in the steering wheel. I checked the wheel bearings and the driveshafts and I can't see anything obvious. Had my wheels balanced twice (first time at my shop, second time at Harper's) and nobody said anything about a bent wheel...

Any pointers or suggestions?

Any good Nissan techs you guys recommend to have this looked at? I was thinking of taking it to Brasso to have them check it out.
    Last edited by projekz; 12-12-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.

My Ride

I don't think that's it. Never had issues with my last Pathfinder.

I was thinking U joints or something similar but there's no play and the rear driveshaft doesn't seem to hop when it's turning...
    Last edited by projekz; 12-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.

My Ride

If I pull it to get the u joints replace I'll have re-balanced. I really think there is something else going on here. I'm hoping it'll be fine when I switch the right rear wheel but I don't think I'll be getting away with it that easy...never is lol.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Those pathfinders do have driveshaft issues, its rare but sometimes ujoints arent enough and the whole shaft needs to be replaced. The only 100% way to diag it is to swap driveshafts. It's a huge gamble to call a driveshaft.

I worked at nissan for a year and I saw 2 drive shafts changed on those pathys.

Check the front drive shaft u-joint with a pry bar, when they get loose they will cause a good vibration.

Nissan wheel suck to balance. Make sure the shop is center checking the wheels on balancer.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Get on the the iTunes store and download an app called ' vibration ' with your iPhone or iPod.
    launch the app and have someone or yourself log the vibrations at its strongest with your idevice,
    Then post back on here.

I'm Sure it will come back as a driveline frequency, but we will be able to determine more based on it being a single, second, third, etc... Order vibration.

I've had a run of driveline vibrations at work, so I may be able to save you some time and effort.

My Ride

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    Get on the the iTunes store and download an app called ' vibration ' with your iPhone or iPod.
    launch the app and have someone or yourself log the vibrations at its strongest with your idevice,
    Then post back on here.

I'm Sure it will come back as a driveline frequency, but we will be able to determine more based on it being a single, second, third, etc... Order vibration.

I've had a run of driveline vibrations at work, so I may be able to save you some time and effort.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't help. My itunes needs to be updated and I would have to borrow my daughter's ipod. I would most likely need an ipod cable to connect to my car stereo. Does it matter if I don't have a sub? Are 6 speakers enough?

In all seriousness, I'm gonna run the truck on the hoist with the wheels off today and see if I can eliminate that part. I'll get the front driveshaft checked as well.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I would say its a u-joint as well.

Can you still drive with the front drive shaft removed? Minght be worth taking it out and going for a spin, at least eliminate one thing then.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by projekz

Unfortunately, this doesn't help. My itunes needs to be updated and I would have to borrow my daughter's ipod. I would most likely need an ipod cable to connect to my car stereo. Does it matter if I don't have a sub? Are 6 speakers enough?

In all seriousness, I'm gonna run the truck on the hoist with the wheels off today and see if I can eliminate that part. I'll get the front driveshaft checked as well.
    Have you never used electronic vibration analysis tools?
    Apple devices have the next best thing to scientific accelerometers as part of their builds.

Plaoink your truck on a hoist with wheels off may introduce a new vibration due to a further change in driveline angles.

Best of luck.

My Ride

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Have you never used electronic vibration analysis tools?
    Apple devices have the next best thing to scientific accelerometers as part of their builds.

Plaoink your truck on a hoist with wheels off may introduce a new vibration due to a further change in driveline angles.

Best of luck.
    I actually never even heard of it until now. I thought you were kidding about using an iphone or ipod. What would it tell me?

I removed my front driveshaft today and it had a dead spot in the rear u joint. So I replaced it...vibration still there.

I'm gonna check the rear driveshaft when I get a chance.

A good rule of thumb is a high frequency vibration is drive line. low frequency is wheels and tires.