Quantcast
Connecticut School Shooting - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecticut School Shooting

Originally posted by KRyn

Banning some cartridges and not other makes no sense what so ever. Please explain how 7.62 is any more dangerous than let’s say .338?

How do you define an 'assault rifle'? Also what makes an ‘assault rifle’ so much more dangerous than any other semi-automatic rifle you can buy?
    My understanding about the 7.62 in it's current form as a military round has been designed specifically to work with certain weapon systems for fully automatic or semi-automatic burst mode. I don't think it's necessary for me to explain the difference between a cartridge designed for military usage in an automatic weapon, and a specific long range cartridge used in a full sized rifle.

As far as defining an assault rifle, I'm not going to go into this lengthy debate. I used it as a commonly understood reference to fully automatic or burst mode capable weapons that fire intermediate cartridges.

Originally posted by msommers

My thoughts exactly. Assuming you're referring more towards hanguns here than say a hunting rifle?
    Yes.

Originally posted by Hamann

7.62 is for all intents and purposes a .308 round, an extremely common hunting round, people mostly choose between 30-06 and .308 for their main hunting rifles in North America. 5.56 and .223 are not identical but extremely similar and .223 is a very popular Coyote round.
    But they aren't the same thing, and they have different designs for specific reasons. If there is a fully automatic or burst mode firearm out there chambered for a civilian .308 cartridge, let me know.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Throw 22-250 in the mix as well.. Doesn't matter what size the bullet is, ya don't wanna get hit with it.

.308 is also a very popular cartridge to base a 'sniper rifle' off of. Theres guys out there approaching 2k yards with them (with a couple hundred ft of drop over that trajectory!), but since most people shoot a deer with it, no worries!
    I'm not sure people are using long range, full sized rifles for indiscriminate, high speed shooting. I would rather take my chances with the guy who has a .308 hunting rifle with iron sights that can't rattle off a ridiculous amount of shots at the press of a trigger.

Originally posted by FraserB
    Anyone who uses the term "assault rifle" need to learn a bit about guns. That and "machine gun" when discussing this case.
    That seems like a pretty passive aggressive attempt at telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. Nice try though. I'm quite comfortable with my knowledge of firearms, despite your disagreement with my use of a well understood term amongst those who discuss firearms. I know what I said, and why I said it. I know the Bushmaster that crazy McFuckface used is not an assault rifle, and is a semi-automatic rifle with a high rate of fire. I have a problem with those too.

Look, if I'm wrong - fine. Please tell me how, instead of just making comparisons between civilian and military cartridges. The point of what I'm trying to say, is having weapons capable of clearing a room or having high rates of fire with no clear hunting use, available en masse, is not right.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

There are 20+ round .308s out there.. But even with 4 or 5 round mags, it wouldnt be hard to drop a number of people very quickly with a few preloaded mags. Deadlier in a large area, then say a classroom though.

- I understand where you come from though and maybe its a start? but its not a fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJdJFaNtyg
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 12-18-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    There are 20+ round .308s out there.. But even with 4 or 5 round mags, it wouldnt be hard to drop a number of people very quickly with a few preloaded mags. Deadlier in a large area, then say a classroom though.

- I understand where you come from though and maybe its a start? but its not a fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJdJFaNtyg
    That is all I'm trying to say here. I know a semi-auto mag fed .308 that anyone can get is dangerous, and why I again have a problem with those too. Whether it's the demonstrated weapon in that Youtube video or the Bushmaster chambered in .223 like fuckhead had, I just don't get why they need to be out there.

I know it's not a fix, but maybe a start. At any rate, I think just generating discussion about it to see what people think is kind of interesting.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Full auto .308

https://www.pof-usa.com/14.5-p308-fa-black.html

20 round capacity.

You would see a lot more .308 'assault' rifles if you banned 556 / 223
    Last edited by Modelexis; 12-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

This seems like a very narrow minded thread filled with many peoples opinions who have only skimmed over the subject of firearms in their reading.
    People talking about the slight differences in calibers like it would make a difference. Theres a tiny bevelling difference in the chambering of 7.62 and .308 or 5.56 and .223 and pressure ratings for military +p style rounds.
    BAN .223!! because you could feed it through a 5.56 rifle pretty much constantly.
    Canadian style restrictions could benefit the US where you need references at least and registration for a lot of weapons purchases.
    You just need to realize it isnt the guns that are the general issue here, its the society and mentality of the gun owners.

With enough practice anyone could do just as much damage with an SKS and stripper clips. Or there is no round limitation on .22's!!

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Modelexis
    Full auto .308

https://www.pof-usa.com/14.5-p308-fa-black.html

20 round capacity.

You would see a lot more .308 'assault' rifles if you banned 556 / 223
    I dunno what they are talking about. 7.62 Nato is definitely not the same as .308 win. They are similar, and I guess you could "loose tolerence" a gun to fire both.

In that case, ban the .308 Winchester round as well.

I see no need for "clips" or guns that hold more than 5 shots. Grew up around hunters, Bolt Action, reload from the top 30-06 was standard fare.

The "Poachers" among them liked the 22 Magnum semi auto lol.
    Last edited by Toma; 12-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

They are riding on the fact that the .308 and 7.62 are similar. I has been discussed many times and a 7.62 gun will have no issues loading and firing a .308 till the cows come home, loose tolerences is a very vague word.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

The problem is that people never take personal responsibility for anything. You have the right to be happy. If someone does something or says something that you don't like, it's your right to demand an apology and their obligation to provide it. If they don't comply the way you'd like, bring a lawyer into it. A lawsuit will get them to see things your way. They'll be sorry then. Still not happy? It's not your fault. There's an endless list of diseases, disorders and syndromes, any number of which you probably have. Here, take these pills. Don't worry, the doctor said it's okay. He's a professional. Trust him. Take them as often as you need to feel happy. It's not your fault. It's because of something you saw on TV, or heard on the radio, that doesn't coincide with your beliefs and values. It's the bully that teased you in school. The teachers should done something about that. It's okay to be offended or have your feelings hurt because it's not your fault. It's their fault. And one way or another, you're going to make them pay. You have to. It's not your fault.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

As a pistol owner I would jump at the chance to get some hands on training and some specific training from law enforcement pros on what you can and can't do in certain situations.
    I've taken a holster certification (single level retention) and intro to pistol shooting sports training, but if there was a local offering for some more 'legal' training about mindset etc I would be more than happy to pay the entry, especially if it exempt me from a gun ban.
    You are an idiot posting that you own a handgun..No offense but if somebody gets your IP address and finds out were you live
    it would take moments for you to give up your fireams.EDIT YOUR POSTS EVERYBODY WHO SAYS THEY HAVE FIREARMS ESPECIALLY
    HANDGUNS.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

Who is going to makle you give up your firearms? As handgun owners the government already knows we have them and where by law. Or is this saying a random criminal could come to our houses and make us give them up?

Originally posted by cancer man

You are an idiot posting that you own a handgun..No offense but if somebody gets your IP address and finds out were you live
    it would take moments for you to give up your fireams.EDIT YOUR POSTS EVERYBODY WHO SAYS THEY HAVE FIREARMS ESPECIALLY
    HANDGUNS.

Sort of related - one has to wonder why an 11 year old has easy access to a gun. This story (link) - just makes me shake my head. I grew up in small Alberta prairie towns in the 60-70's and learning to use guns was quite acceptable back then - but even 40 years ago, I did not have free access to my parent's guns.

Did my brothers and I actively shoot guns as youths - we sure did (massive amounts of target shooting as well as trying to control the local gopher populations) but at the same time it never ever crossed our minds to use our guns as weapons against other human beings such as the above mentioned 11 year old boy. As such, I can only surmise that something in that 11 year old's life is seriously amiss - certainly none of the 11 year old kids I am in regular contact with appear to have the need or want to bear arms.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by cancer man
    HANDGUNS.
    LMAO

You have never been in the gun thread in the sports section I guess, or on any Canadian gun forums.

haha.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    oooo

I had an electrician that worked for me last year that was a newly retired military sniper. He was telling me there are essentially 3 different types of rounds.

1) civilian / police standard rounds

2) police / military high velocity rounds (green tips/hollow points etc.)

3) sniper rounds

He was saying that the sniper rounds are restricted and they have to account for each bullet as they are "absolute lethal projectiles". Apparently they hit so hard they generate a shock wave that will shut down your body, regardless of where you are hit.

He was saying thought that they were phasing out the sniper rounds as he left because the sniper rifles are getting larger and larger (50cal/20mm) to the point that they would be pretty much lethal regardless.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

I know I harp about .308 a lot - but I like it, and enjoy the round.

Hydrostatic shock is what he is referring to, and what that is is the shockwave that travels thru the blood and tissue from an impact, causing damage in other parts of the body. It was first noticed in world war 2, where guys were dying from getting shot in the legs and whatnot, but the shockwave was travelling to the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_shock

My point being, is even the .308 is capable of that. So as mentioned before, you cant label a round as 'only used for xxx'... Since the .308 is used in everyone of the those category's and used reliably.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

One thing I think we can all agree on, whether we're for or against gun ownership is that the mother of this kid should not have had guns in that house.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

One thing I think we can all agree on, whether we're for or against gun ownership is that the mother of this kid should not have had guns in that house.
    i.e. no guns= lives saved.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...206/story.html

Looks like pretty soon everyone will be able to make their own guns with 3D printers

My Ride
    4x4

that's an old story... I stratasys reclaimed their printer back some months ago...

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10/3d-gun-blocked/

But 3d printers aren't there yet, except for some really high end sls units...

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/25/3...-of-gun-owners

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...opstories.html

Awesome, a newspaper publishes the names and addresses of handgun owners in NY, that went through the process legally and obtained their handgun legally. Now robbers have an idea which houses are not armed.

Side note, it's really easy to tell who owns guns in this thread. Most that don't are busy dribbling about false information. Amazing that people rarely try to learn what they are trying to ban/be angry about, that way they can form educated and reasonable ideas. Then again, ignorance is bliss.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast