Valve - New System Coming - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve - New System Coming

Default Valve - New System Coming

Anyone hearing much on this thing

http://playeressence.com/the-valve-c...nd-game-sales/

My Ride
    05 Civic

I am very excited for this. If it is what I think it is, it will be awesome if it is simply a PC with a gamepad, so you can already play all your current steam games on it. If it will have a bunch of restrictions on it, I will probably pass, unless it is priced well.

Either way, Microsoft and Sony and going to have to get their shit together in order to compete with something like this.

My Ride
    Grimace

It is just going to be a steam box, you can already build those yourself now
    If you want PC quality graphics you would be looking at a hefty price tag also.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by schocker
    It is just going to be a steam box, you can already build those yourself now
    If you want PC quality graphics you would be looking at a hefty price tag also.
    The "average" gamer would have a hard time doing that me thinks. At least the majority of my friends would, they like the idea of plugging in an xbox, inserting a disc, and playing the game. Having to start up a steam box, start up steam, find the game, and start the game, hoping that it has gamepad functionality (which most do nowadays anyway) seems cumbersome to them, not to mention that all of which is being done with a gamepad with a clumsy cursor system. Not to mention that a decent PC would cost over the $300 that an xbox does. If steam were to come out with something around the same price, I think it would be game-changing for the console market.

Edit: I just read about Steam's big picture mode, that negates some of my points above.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

xbox and ps3 already have titles you can buy, download, and play. Not really a game changer. To be honest, the game changer is mobile, as that's working its way up to console sales #'s. It's a lot easier to sell games for $5 than $50. Plus the ability to download a game in 2 mins and start playing right away gives instant satisfaction. That and everyone has a smartphone, not everyone has a console.

Once internet speeds ramp up over the next few years, where we start seeing gigabit internet to the home, and you can download a console game in 2 mins, we'll see a shift in how you buy games.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    To be honest, the game changer is mobile, as that's working its way up to console sales #'s. It's a lot easier to sell games for $5 than $50. Plus the ability to download a game in 2 mins and start playing right away gives instant satisfaction. That and everyone has a smartphone, not everyone has a console.
    I've had an iphone for over 2 years now. My personal observation on my mobile gaming vs other:
    - It's almost completely killed my portable gaming (Nintendo DS).
    - It hasn't affected my console gaming at all.

(On another note, console gaming has almost killed my PC gaming.)

I think mobile games have their place, but I don't think they will ever totally replace the other mediums.

Ha, I'm the opposite. Console gaming hasn't put a dent in my PC gaming, but I much prefer gaming on my 3DS than my iPhone.

I gravitated from pc to console gaming for a couple reasons. One was partly due to the type of games. I'm more likely to want a pick-up-and-go style game, which seems more inherent with console games (shooters, etc.) vs. something like a strategy game (over-generalizing, maybe). And there's the chilling on the couch with a wireless controller in front of the big tv, vs. sitting at a desktop/workstation with a mouse. And not worrying about the hassle of constantly chasing the upgrade path and hardware compatibilities.

I do think the gaming experience on a DS is overall better than an iphone, but iphone has the advantage of extra convenience (I always have it with me) plus more variety and cheaper games. If I'm waiting for a pot to boil on the stove or sitting in a waiting room, i'm more likely to break out a quick game of bejewelled or angry birds, rather than zelda or super mario bros.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

fuck. I barely game on my PC or laptop anymore besides really basic time killers.

I hate having to constantly build new rigs to keep up with the games.

Now, almost all my gaming is done on the xbox. don't have to upgrade it, and is company friendly.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I found myself constantly having to look at new pc hardware (video cards, ram, CPU mostly) in order to play new games and the cost of games + continuous upgrades was more than a console and games. Last game I played on pc was counter strike source lol. Then started playing fps on consoles and gave up the mouse and keyboard combo and walked away from wasd :nuts:

It's also more social friendly...buy a console and controllers and u can play multiplayer easier than on a pc.

My Ride
    ATS4

actually the community features on PC are pretty awesome - Steam in particular.

even minecraft, just run a skype session with your buds.

plus the games are so cheap. New games are $25-35 if you use reputable green man gaming.

a core i7 rig with a geforce 460 GTX will still run everything almost maxed out - that's a 3-4 year old system

for the last 5 years I have been using laptops for gaming, no complaints.
    nanu nanu!

Yeah, not that I'm saying you guys are doing anything wrong, but I build a new system every 3 years, and I could stretch that if I didn't care about high settings. Obviously it's still a bigger investment than consoles but, to me, it's worth it.

I don't play Call of Duty though. I seriously get the feeling that the majority of console owners only play other games to fill in the space between Call of Duty games, haha.

I'm also cheap and a hoarder. I don't buy games at full price and I don't sell or trade games once I have them, even if they suck, so Steam (Origin, Desura, etc) is the perfect platform for me. Pretty much every game I've spent a good amount of time on has been available on console, but I've either pirated it or bought it on sale, usually both.

Would the Steambox benefit me? Not really. I've got an HTPC that can play games and is, obviously, an open platform. I don't need another box that can do less. I have a feeling I'm not their target market here though. To be honest, I'm not sure who their target market is. Most PC gamers aren't about to stop PC gaming and, IMO, most console gamers are already so partisan regarding their systems that it's gonna be a tough sell to make them switch.

*shrug* They've obviously put some thought into this and they've got smarter people than me doing it so I'm sure it will be a success, I just can't wait to see how.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Mibz
    Ha, I'm the opposite. Console gaming hasn't put a dent in my PC gaming, but I much prefer gaming on my 3DS than my iPhone.
    Do you play Mario Tennis on 3DS?

Have we had a previous conversation about how fucking stupid that piece of shit game is or am I missing a joke?

My BIL works for Valve and when I asked him if he brought back a Steam Console for the holidays, he said "Yeah, my laptop"
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

No mention of this here yet?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/3849...-steam-box-xi3

No details, but the partnership has been announced.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    S14|TB1

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Reveal on Monday

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

As Gabe mentioned a few days ago, we will be talking next week about the steps we're taking to make Steam more accessible on televisions and in the living room. Specifically, we have three announcements to make beginning with the first one on Monday morning. P

http://kotaku.com/looks-like-well-he...@stephentotilo
    Now I've used Big Picture on my flatscreen and it's great and all but that means bringing my behemoth tower downstairs to the TV and connecting it. Maybe if not a console, a wireless connecting box of some sort? But Gabe said it would be direct console competitor so who knows.

3 announcements, if it's not the obvious never-to-be-made last of the trilogy release, besides this console or 'system', I hope to see a new engine from them at least. They've always done big innovations in new engine tech (remember your first time playing HL1/CS1.6/HL2), it's about time and we expect nothing less than the best if that's the announcement imo.

My Ride
    Grimace

I would assume it would be something like the gigabyte brix with linux.
    Wouldn't mind something like that with a nice wireless controller, would be great if say you could use the X1 controllers with it wirelessly.

My Ride
    Grimace

So they announced SteamOS, a linux based operating system for the living room. This would be pretty great, would something like this also allow you to use XBMC?

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Next announcement in 48 hours.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^
    48 hours [o ] : Steam box

96 hours [o+o] : HL3 (yeah right )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast