Quantcast
canon rebel t3, good first camera? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: canon rebel t3, good first camera?

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Default canon rebel t3, good first camera?

Looking at buying a DSLR camera as a gift for someone new to the sport of photography. Is the Canon rebel T3 a good pick for a newbie?

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

If the price is right, I see no problem starting off with a T3 as entry into the DSLR game especially if they've only had compact p&s cameras before. Fancier features may not even mean anything if they've got no clue what they are or how to use them.

The features that higher end cameras will have:
    - bigger sensor
    - faster sequential shooting
    - weather seals
    - 100% coverage optical pentaprism view finder
    - metal body
    - faster autofocus
    - bigger buffers for burst shots
    - flip out screen
    - higher res LCD
    - top view LCD panel
    - more scroll wheels and dedicated buttons
    - more bracketing options
    - more video options

IMHO, none of those features really benefit casual snap shot shooters happy to take pictures of ducks. So, yeah, nothing wrong with the very lowest entry level DSLR's until you get pretty specific about what you want to shoot and how you want the photos to look. Even then, I'd go upgrade lenses before upgrading a body, but that's just me. Some people love to have the latest and greatest bodies.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

I am thinking about the Sony Nex-6 as a step from from the conventional point and shoot. Thoughts?

The size is the most attractive feature to me. But i feel i would pay a premium because of it.

the t4i was 649 when it was on sale, i think the t3 is ... 4xx? i'd look at a d7000 and u'll be set for a long time until u go FF

as for the nex6, great reviews all around, but the lens selection is not the greatest. i picked the omd em5 because of this and weather sealing. the nex6 was def second on my list tho.

My Ride
    is broken

Use this tool to shop:
    http://snapsort.com/compare

I have the T3 and its a great camera. Just remember that if your going to get into photography stick with one brand since the lenses are where you spent the money. And they dont transfer brands. Better to buy a cheaper body and better lens.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Originally posted by dragonone
    the t4i was 649 when it was on sale, i think the t3 is ... 4xx? i'd look at a d7000 and u'll be set for a long time until u go FF

as for the nex6, great reviews all around, but the lens selection is not the greatest. i picked the omd em5 because of this and weather sealing. the nex6 was def second on my list tho.
    Whoa, I think that's thinking a bit far ahead there, OP is talking about a camera for someone new to photography. I'm no beyond baller and would have trouble going from $4xx to $6xx to ~$1000 when I don't know that I want to go down that path.

Completely agree with jacky4566 that I'd buy lense before switching bodies. If I were to spent an extra $600, I'd probably pick up a 60mm f2.8 macro or some other fast glass before putting that into an upgraded body.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

Honestly for what D7000's are going for in Canada these days, it's very difficult to recommend much else in the sub-$1000 price category. Currently $731.50 which is a ridiculous steal of a deal. In the USA they are still $900 and go back up to $1100 after the holidays.

At least with the D7000 you will never run into a situation where the camera might hold you back sometime down the road when you learn more. You will be glad you didn't buy an ultra-entry level camera like the T3 probably after the first week, if you're a fast learner.

Nikon also has much better entry-mid level lens selection at the moment, which is even more important than the camera body IMO.

Originally posted by spike98
    I am thinking about the Sony Nex-6 as a step from from the conventional point and shoot. Thoughts?

The size is the most attractive feature to me. But i feel i would pay a premium because of it.
    Awesome camera, but large sensor means large lenses, so you've got this tiny little body and big heavy lenses hanging off of it still. The pancake lens is the only real exception to that. They finally added phase detect AF to it which is a nice touch, but the main thing with those cameras are the lenses are still quite large, in case that is a problem.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-21-2012 at 08:32 PM.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Any thoughts on the T4i?
    We are sticking with Canon for the parents as I have several Canon lenses already.

Originally posted by The BMW Guy
    Any thoughts on the T4i?
    We are sticking with Canon for the parents as I have several Canon lenses already.
    Grab a 60D if you can, only about $120 more ($729). If for no other reason you get a top LCD and a pentaprism viewfinder (I personally wouldn't buy a camera without both - T4i has neither). Also you at least get some more advanced features and much better build quality with some weather/dust sealing. For the price, the 60D is definitely the best bang for the buck in the sub-$1000 Canon lineup right now. You get quite a few important features over a T4i for hardly any more money.

The difference between T3i and T4i

http://t4ivst3i.com

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

i have a t4i and i love mine heh

My Ride
    has lace's

T3 is a bunch of garb.

midaswell get a t3i or t4i if you want auto focus video.
    The g1x would even be better then the T3.

The NEX6 is a large upgrade from a point and shoot. Its closer to a mid range DSLR in specs then a point and shoot.

Lens choice if you stick with sony is slim pickins. You can always pick up an e - ef adapter by meta bones, and use the enter canon line up. But then your price gets steep.

canon EOS M would be another thing to look at. Lesser price.
    Same with the Olympus E-PL5. same senor as the OM-D.
    Again cheaper then the Nex-6.