Quantcast
Serp Belt 2002 RSX - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Serp Belt 2002 RSX

My Ride
    Has AWD

Default Serp Belt 2002 RSX

My serp belt is squealing so i checked and the tension seems a bit loose. I checked on an rsx forum and it requires a serp belt tool(the easy way) to tighten it the autotensioner.........unless i misunderstand and the tensioner cannot be tightened and thus meaning my serp belt is toast and replacement is required immediately. Anyone know anything about the RSX serp belts? This is kinda the worst time for this to happen being I cannot get parts and I then have no vehicle to drive for the holidays. If it can be tightened then i'd ride it out till next week and try and acquire a belt end of the week.

On a side note.....if by chance the serp belt broke, while driving, how much damage could it cost? $100's? $1000's?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

The auto tensioner doesn't need to be tightened... It's automatic. If the belt is squealing you most likely need a new belt because it is cracked or glazed or both.

The "serp belt tool" is to back it off so you can install a new belt. You should be able to just do it with a wrench though.

While the belt is off check all your pulleys for play, looseness, tightness, etc.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Oh and if it broke while driving it wouldn't do any damage. Your charge light would come on the dash and you'd have no steering assist.

My Ride
    Has AWD

so in the meantime the more load i put on it the worse it will sound, thus if i can drive grandmother style maybe i can make it last till later this week? Am I on the right track?

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

put WD40 on the belt.
    problem solved

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

yeah like sentry said, wrench it, you may have to double wrench it, i have the acura specific tensioner tool but its at work.... and im off for the holidays lol

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by 403civic
    put WD40 on the belt.
    problem solved
    to be sprayed on the belt or pullies? or both? i am half tempted to say it almost sounds like a pulley or the tensioner making the noise but im no mechanic and cannot say forsure.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I've seen frayed serp belts wrap around a crank pully and push out the crank seal, sometimes worse. I've seen belts take out fans on trucks etc...

Always good to change it, especially after 80,000 on an original.

Just check the tensioner bearing once the belt is off. should spin smooth without grinding or friction.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Depends on the engine speed when it fails I guess.

That reminds me though, did an engine on an Integra about a year ago that snapped a timing belt. Belt wrapped around the crank and took out the crank sensor on the oil pump lol. Even got a pic of it.

Originally posted by 403civic
    put WD40 on the belt.
    problem solved
    Do not do that.
    The belt will slip and squeal even more. Just replace the belt, they are only a few dollars and will take you under a hour.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by HO2S

Do not do that.
    The belt will slip and squeal even more. Just replace the belt, they are only a few dollars and will take you under a hour.
    i did the right thing for a stop gap fix until next week, tire chalk, whisper quiet now hopefully i wont have to reapply again but it sure works instantly

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 12:18 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    ya, chalk works decent until you can get it changed. Don't use WD40, and don't use other shit like "belt dressing" - that stuff is just awful. When your belt is off, use a mechanics stethoscope (can be bought from princess auto for around 10-15 bucks) and check the bearings of all your tensioner and idler pulleys. Put the probe of the stethoscope on the center bolt that runs through the middle of the pulley and give the pulley a spin by hand. If the bearing sounds noisy or gritty then its worth replacing it too.
    belt dressing was the first thing i tried and lol regreted it immediately. The belt is being done at a shop so i will ensure they check the bearings.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Do not do that.
    for the record, oem belt is $110 from Acura, yuck. On that note im going aftermaret, im told to avoid gatorback. Any other types to avoid? Any arguments to pay up for oem?

My Ride
    Hondas

Gates makes great Honda timing belts.

Not sure if they make serp belts, but worth looking into.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 12:17 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

For what it's worth, my 02 RSX still has it's original belt, which i am sure needs to be replaced soon......but wow, the original lasted 11 years. That is pretty good quality, it may be worth it
    Honda/Acura guy

Originally posted by MGCM

for the record, oem belt is $110 from Acura, yuck. On that note im going aftermaret, im told to avoid gatorback. Any other types to avoid? Any arguments to pay up for oem?
    A serp belt from napa is $55, labor is .4 of a hour. So your looking at about $150 at a aftermarket shop. That is not much when it comes to automotive repair.

Gatorback belts are fine, their is nothing wrong with them.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Gates makes good serp belts but I don't know who stocks them in town. I usually get my parts from Rock Auto if I am not in a hurry. I just did one on my EP3 (same chassis and engine bay). I have the serp belt tool and if you want you can swing by some time and I can give you a hand with changing it.

My Ride
    Has AWD

A serp belt from napa is $55, labor is .4 of a hour. So your looking at about $150 at a aftermarket shop. That is not much when it comes to automotive repair.

Gatorback belts are fine, their is nothing wrong with them.
    i get a discount on my labour, so it will be under $100 which is what i wanted. If I get the OEM its more like $200 and im in no position to spend the extra $100 when my floorpan has a hole needing patching.