Quantcast
GTX 680 Classified overheating/crashing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GTX 680 Classified overheating/crashing

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Default GTX 680 Classified overheating/crashing

Just picked this thing up today, get home rip the GTX 570 out and toss the GTX 680 in. Get the drivers for it from EVGA (v310.70), install the new Precision X and MSI afterburner, I load Skyrim up(texture/graphic mod heavy) and begin playing, after about 30-45 seconds the screen goes black, the monitor goes into sleep mode and I am forced to hard restart the desktop. I did a stress test using Kombustor which came with MSI Afterburner and it takes about 10 seconds for the GPU temps to get from 70'C to 95'C+ when GPU usage is at 99%. Something I noticed is that the fan is also maxed at 55%.

Power Supply: OCZ OCZ-ZS750W ZS Series Power Supply - 750W, 80 Plus Bronze, 135mm Fan, Active PFC, Single +12V Rail

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65 AMD 9 Series AM3+ Motherboard - ATX, Socket AM3+, AMD 990FX Chipset, 2133MHz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Processor: AMD HDE00ZFBGRBOX Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 3.30GHz, Socket AM3, 125W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail

Monitor: Philips 227E3LPHSU 22" Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor - 1080p, 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 20000000:1 Dynamic, 60Hz, 2ms, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Energy Star

Is something wrong with my setup or the card?

My Ride
    is broken

Are you sure Precision X or MSI afterburner are not messing with your fan speeds?
    trying setting the fan to 100% and run offending game. Also is it just this game? does kombuster cause the crash?

Do you have good flow in your case because those temps are super high/ causing the crashing.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride

sounds like heatsink isnt mounted correctly or is missing the thermal paste. no way it can heat up that quickly with a heatsink

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Id suspect power issues, try and use the molex that are supplied with the gpu and see if your gpu power rails are doing their job. Your 570 likely didnt have any issue with it so who knows.

Did you buy it new or used?

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

No I am unable to manually adjust the fan speeds beyond 55% with either MSI Afterburner or Precision X, I shut Kombustor down before it crashes. Just tried Borderlands 2 and it did the same thing as Skyrim.
    The case has good flow as far as I can tell, its a;

Xion AXP970-001BK Predator Gaming Mid-Tower Case - ATX, µATX, 3 x 3.5" Bays, 2 x Hot-Swap 3.5" Bays, 4 x 5.25" Bays, eSATA, USB, 120mm Blue LED Fan

^This was taken immediately after Borderlands 2 crashed.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Id suspect power issues, try and use the molex that are supplied with the gpu and see if your gpu power rails are doing their job. Your 570 likely didnt have any issue with it so who knows.

Did you buy it new or used?
    Your talking about the 2 8 pin power connectors right? I'm using those now.

Everything was bought new.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Does your power supply not have the correct VGA 8 pin rails? I've always been told to avoid using the 4 pin adapters unless you need to. Not sure what merit that has. But if one of them has dirty power weird stuff can happen.

My 670 goes to 52 degrees at max load and hits 32% fan speed, thats metro 2033 maxed for 5 minutes.

I'd take it back and ask for a new one if you cant resolve this. If its Memex they will take it back even without in store warranty.

PS I have nearly your exact same load out haha, I had the X6 in my 990xa unitl I had the nerve to get the 8350.
    Last edited by AE92_TreunoSC; 12-23-2012 at 05:28 PM.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

The 8 pin connectors that come with the GTX 680 have 2 6pin female connectors on the other end, I plugged 2 male 6pin connectors from the power supply into one and 2 male 4pin w/seperate 2 pin connectors into the other. I'm not a 100pct on the terminology used for the 4pin w/ seperate 2 pin connectors.

My Ride
    is broken

I doubt its a power issues. Solve the heat thing first. make sure nothing is pushing the cooler off the chip. also that is really weird. you have some piece of software somewhere that is controlling the fan so you need to find and remove it.
    Maybe try something else for controlling the fan?

That power supply has a unified 12v so using the included connectors wont make a difference.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

If it is a heat issue it should returned anyway, its just best to make sure its not an issue on his end. I'd want to return it tomorrow rather than waiting for boxing week.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

^ Just return it if you can and let the store worry about it. Trust me, you don't want to deal with a card that starts overheating from day one, it's not going to last very long.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I think I'll probably drop the tower off at Memexpress, if its not the card I still want the issue resolved, thanks for the help, it was greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Might be a coincidence but I left the side panel off my case and I no longer overheat, average 50-60'C when playing Skyrim, no crashes yet

GPU usage is still at 99% for Skyrim though lol
    Last edited by StreetRacerX; 12-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

My 670 runs at 32C idle - fan at 1000 rpm. What is yours at when not playing anything? I think your heatsink isn't on right. Full skyrim/dragonage etc is 60C I think.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

My 670 has maxxed at 68C during an hour long torture on Furmark to "burn in" the card after I owned it for a week. When I game, it's usually hovering around 60C.

Exchange your card
    Geek

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Assuming it's not a power or 3rd party software issue....

eVGA is a reference card with terrible cooling, buy a different brand. Use an ASUS, MSI, etc. with a better heatsink/fan setup.

My eVGA cards heat up and nearly trips the safety all the time and they're only GTX560tiFTW. But I couldn't pass up the deal I got on those cards or I would have gone with a different brand.
    Last edited by DeeK; 12-24-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Could be the card or something else, but before you go looking into better video card coolers like someone suggested.
    You definitely need to look into a better case first.

Those better heatsink/fan setups you can buy for them only work if the case can exhaust the hot air properly.
    As they exhaust almost all of the heat inside the case vs the stock cooler that exhausts it mostly out the back of the case.
    And the case you have now doesn't look to be very good for airflow at all.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Originally posted by Mista Bob
    Could be the card or something else, but before you go looking into better video card coolers like someone suggested.
    You definitely need to look into a better case first.

Those better heatsink/fan setups you can buy for them only work if the case can exhaust the hot air properly.
    As they exhaust almost all of the heat inside the case vs the stock cooler that exhausts it mostly out the back of the case.
    And the case you have now doesn't look to be very good for airflow at all.
    A new case might be what I need, nothing overheats when I leave the side panel on the case open, running at max 70'C when playing Skyrim, idling at 33-36'C.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by StreetRacerX

A new case might be what I need, nothing overheats when I leave the side panel on the case open, running at max 70'C when playing Skyrim, idling at 33-36'C.
    Can't be the case, but maybe one of the fans is backwards? Air should be sucked in the front, and ejected out the back/side. You should feel warm air being blown out the back while Skyrim is running.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

But his 570 didnt do this and its a pretty beefy card that probably worked harder than the 680 has to.

I have a huge video card in a small case right now and it doesnt overheat. They are designed to operate in less than ideal cases. Especially reference cards

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by StreetRacerX

LOL. well there's your problem. if you take off the side panel and everything works fine, either your case is bad, or you have a terrible air flow set up.

I would look into case fans. Make sure they are all pointing in the right direction. even one fan turned the wrong way can cause issues like this. Should the fans be old or not good enough Silverstone Air penetrator fans are among the best for moving lots of air while being relatively quiet. I'm running a corsair 800D and I recently swapped over to those fans, everything dropped in temperature by ~5c.

Edit:
    One other thing I just noticed after looking over your screenshots there. The afterburner pic specifically.

I'm not familiar with that program but it looks to me like you have your fan set to "auto" but to only go to a maximum of 55%. I recommend you leave it on auto but allow the fan up to 100%. Might be noisy, but if the card needs that extra fan speed, then limiting it to 55% could be another problem.
    Last edited by DeeK; 12-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast