Quantcast
C63 owners: winter sucks?!? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: C63 owners: winter sucks?!?

Originally posted by rage2
    Yes just pre alignment. It was fantastic after I went less aggressive on rear toe. Still the most fun winter car I've owned. It's too bad the Panamera is so expensive, otherwise I would've definately gotten that over the CLS.
    I was a little surprised when I went to the Panamera release party and priced myself out a 4S, thought you are getting quite a bit more car compared to a 911 (actual amount of material used) Seeing how well it tested on Top Gear has made me really think about trying to find a slightly used one once the family starts.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    Cummins F10

rwd isnt THAT bad with good winter tires.
    i mean its not the same as my old STi, but it could be alot worse.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by jaylo

I find that the 335i is pretty stable and I do not see it any different than the 135i when it comes to winter traction unless you have a heavy foot or bald/old winter tires.
    My M3 has been pretty stable as well so far and if it does step out it's really predictable. I believe the factory calls for 0.2-0.4 for toe-in in the rear so it's a bit less than the MB's.

Funny thing is, my dad's 335i on skinnier winters (im running 255 LM60's and he's running 225 Wintersport 3D's) is significantly more tail happy than the M3.

In any case, for the past couple of days if im stopped at a stop sign or light with a slight incline it takes me a good 15-30 seconds to get halfway through the intersection I really feel bad for anyone that's unfortunate enough to be behind me.

OP: Maybe try looking into studded winters for your next set of tires? Might help you out a fair bit on ice. I'd be running studded winters if they made them in my size for my car.
    Last edited by A2VR6; 12-24-2012 at 01:43 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Ya, I looked at the 4S, mildly optioned, costs more than a fully loaded CLS63. The turbo was almost 200k lol.
    Used would work. Ball so hard, depreciate so hard.
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by A2VR6
    Funny thing is, my dad's 335i on skinnier winters (im running 255 LM60's and he's running 225 Wintersport 3D's) is significantly more tail happy than the M3.
    maybe because his car has torque

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's got nothing to do with getting sideways. The C63 will always be tail happy in winter regardless of alignment settings. We're talking about tracking in a straight line on roads covered with black ice.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by gpomp
    maybe because his car has torque
    This, I have 225/45/17s all around and it's fine if I'm gentle with the gas. You have to be super easy on the throttle and it goes fine but if you apply the throttle even a little harder it will spin even with TC on.

We have studded tires on our minivan and it's not that huge of a difference. It does really well around corners and stopping but at stop lights I can easily get the tires spinning unless gentle on the throttle.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Roads are damn shitty, my car has been having problems too.

Im having the same thing with my C63 right now lol.. I think its the temp
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Originally posted by Aleks

This, I have 225/45/17s all around and it's fine if I'm gentle with the gas. You have to be super easy on the throttle and it goes fine but if you apply the throttle even a little harder it will spin even with TC on.

We have studded tires on our minivan and it's not that huge of a difference. It does really well around corners and stopping but at stop lights I can easily get the tires spinning unless gentle on the throttle.
    Also note that the stock 335i's 300 torque kicks in at 1,400RPM as to the 295 torque at 3,900 on the E9X M3

i dont think its the car specifically, even our awd cars have been highly questionable last few days.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Times like this I wish I can put on Studded or regular winters, not just performance winters. On a small incline it take 5-10 seconds to get going...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

weird, I have never noticed.

My F150 with the Electronic locking rear diff was lots of fun today. 2 out of 3 locked diffs and I had trouble with traction.

I also took the C63 out today. mine seems to track fine. I am not running a square setup anymore. Was running 225 all around. Now running 225 in front and 235 in the rear.

At anything over 70km/h, I am in full safety mode. No sport or nanny completely off.

I am this close to dropping a deposit on the new E63. AWD will be heaven on days like this. haha

My Ride
    is wild

Yes just pre alignment. It was fantastic after I went less aggressive on rear toe. Still the most fun winter car I've owned. It's too bad the Panamera is so expensive, otherwise I would've definately gotten that over the CLS.
    Too bad you couldnt get an lsd for the tip 996tt, my cars a 6 spd and I installed a lsd. Transformed the car handling wise, now the psm only goes off if I want to do big slides, this weather is awesome for that...

My alignment has a bit too much toe in at the back but once your used to it and know its not going to get any worse its fine to drive.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    W204

Got the alignment done this morning. Tech looked at the settings and thought I had lowered the car as my settings were out of whack for one of them (can't remember which one.. Castor?? Left the sheet in the car). I am pretty sure (but can't find any definitive answers) that the AMG pack/P31 cars sit lower than stock C63s.

Anyway... We agreed to set all 4 corners at .2 toe in. So far, it seems to have made a HUGE difference. Going into the appointment this morning on McKnight, I swear I was going to veer off and crash into the barrier after going over the 36th St bridge. On the way back, the car tracked perfectly straight; no more feeling like it was going to break loose at any minute. So hopefully this solves it. Never thought that such a tiny little setting could affect it so much. Thanks Rage2!!

So next question is... Is there any way to disable VSC completely but not traction control? Seems like there's only 3 settings (off, mild [Sport], full[Comfort]) and it controls both. Comfort is completely pointless and actually kind of hard to control since it abruptly cuts off everything. Sport mode is decent but I still hate how it will abruptly cut off throttle. Turning everything off - there's just too much power for the car to get away cleanly from a stop and I've gotten stuck a few times in this mode, so out of the question. I've also been using the traction control so much that I think the rear pads needs to be replaced LOL (starting to squeal and not the 'normal' squealing I used to get).
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

With these settings, you'll get twice the life on the rear tires too. Handling won't feel as sharp in the summers though.

I used ESP Sport and just learned to drive within it's boundaries. If you have LSD, turning it off completely will be as close as it'll get but will be a drift machine once you get going.

As for the brakes squealing, you'll have to wait till it warms up. MB brakes are notorious for squeal if you don't work them hard enough. You need a few 100 to 0 panic stop braking to get them to stop making noise. My CLS is doing the same thing right now, just annoying as fuck, till I get some dry roads to work the brakes a little bit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    has lace's

my 95 ford escourt is god damn all OVER the place.

the window also will not roll up when it gets to cold.

As for the brakes squealing, you'll have to wait till it warms up. MB brakes are notorious for squeal if you don't work them hard enough. You need a few 100 to 0 panic stop braking to get them to stop making noise. My CLS is doing the same thing right now, just annoying as fuck, till I get some dry roads to work the brakes a little bit.
    is there any other fix to stop high performance brakes from squeaking? hard braking seems to only temporarily fix the issue. today was a very embarrasing drive and i dont want to change the pads to aftermarket.

Wait... so I'm not the only one who is going fucking nuts with my "performance" brakes squealing my damn ears off. I was getting pissed off at Audi calling it bullshit lol

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Mine squeel like a motherfucker and I can't get rid of it no matter what I try. I wouldn't consider them as high performance as C63 brakes though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast