Quantcast
Paying for Artist to Design Tattoo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Paying for Artist to Design Tattoo

Default Paying for Artist to Design Tattoo

Hey All,

Looking to have someone design a tattoo for me. Going to be on inner forearm about 8-9" tall, 4.5 or so inches at its widest. My buddy is going to do it for free for me, but I don't want to bother him with designing it as I know he is extremely busy with his business. I will pay the going rate to the design that works best.

I have a VERY rough MS paint of how I would like it laid out.

On left a broken top of beer bottle hanging by a noose, bottom busted half below in a pool of beer.
    Middle in large letters (no idea on font) running vertical the word CLARITY
    and on the right STRENGTH THROUGH SOBRIETY

If any bored artists can whip up something cool, or if anyone has better ideas or think my idea is silly I would like to hear all opinions. I have always wanted a tattoo but never really had anything I felt to be worthy, really didnt just want one for the sake of having one.

Now I have something in my life that I am proud of and would like to commemorate it with some ink.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ruggzy_McTuggz; 12-29-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Just go with the sketch.

EDIT: Nevermind. OP editted his/her post.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 12-29-2012 at 04:39 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Ummmmm......... The tattoo artist will design it. Do you ask a painter to copy someone else's picture?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Depends on the day

That part of what your paying the tattoo artist to do. They are professionals and do this for a living.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

^ This. It'll cost you a bit, but I'm guessing under your particular circumstances it will be well worth it.

Congratulations, by the way. You *should* be proud.

My Ride
    changes every year

good for you for staying sober. i have a few very close family members that are going through this same situation(minus the tattoo, except one of them) so this kind of stuff affects me alot.

a few things i have to say first off. it cant be designed like that, even if it was cleaned up, it will look stupid, think of another way to have it designed.

secondly, how long have you been sober? if its been less than a year, dont bother doing this, theres nothing like doing well until something happens and you relapse then look at this tattoo that now means fuck all to you because youre starting all over again.

im not saying you will, but it is something ive seen over and over again for 30 years, trust me, no one is exempt from relapse, im sure you know this.

this is a tattoo that has to be perfect the first time. the beer bottle is cheesy, ill be the first one to say it. i think you should find a good spot with a nice font and design it around that font and location on your body.

IMHO, i think you should drop CLARITY(even though i totally get what it means to you) maybe do it on a different part of your body at a different date, but i would say you should do collar bone to collar bone on the chest with STRENGTH THROUGH SOBRIETY. that will look amazing if done right, with the right font.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    good for you for staying sober. i have a few very close family members that are going through this same situation(minus the tattoo, except one of them) so this kind of stuff affects me alot.

a few things i have to say first off. it cant be designed like that, even if it was cleaned up, it will look stupid, think of another way to have it designed.

secondly, how long have you been sober? if its been less than a year, dont bother doing this, theres nothing like doing well until something happens and you relapse then look at this tattoo that now means fuck all to you because youre starting all over again.

im not saying you will, but it is something ive seen over and over again for 30 years, trust me, no one is exempt from relapse, im sure you know this.

this is a tattoo that has to be perfect the first time. the beer bottle is cheesy, ill be the first one to say it. i think you should find a good spot with a nice font and design it around that font and location on your body.

IMHO, i think you should drop CLARITY(even though i totally get what it means to you) maybe do it on a different part of your body at a different date, but i would say you should do collar bone to collar bone on the chest with STRENGTH THROUGH SOBRIETY. that will look amazing if done right, with the right font.
    Great feedback man, I appreciate it. You are right, about pretty much everything. As far as relapsing, I am just as likely to relapse after a year then I am to relapse now. Rehab and all the shit they taught me is still fresh, as are the memories of what led me down that path. If I do relapse (I really do not think I will, but like you said who knows) it will be more likely to happen after 4-5 years of sobriety when I get over confident and figure I can start drinking socially again. Don't plan on doing so.

But you do have me thinking over the whole recovery tattoo as a whole. I would feel like a hypocrite doing keg stands with my sobriety tattoo showing lol.

Thoughts on Latin quote? I know Chinese characters on a white boy is rediculars, what about a quote like "Luctor et Emergo Victor" which would translate to "I struggled, and emerged victorious" or "Videlicet animus, mens mundi" which translates to "Clear is my mind, clean is my soul"

Again, brutal honesty appreciated. Don't want something cheesy that will be mocked. I know it should only matter to me what the tattoo I get is all about, but I don't want it to be one of those taboo tattoos

My Ride
    changes every year

the longer you go, the easier it is to not relapse, "they" generally say the 2 year mark is where you are at your best and after that, it is all gravy.

however, getting off topic here, but i totally understand the fact you may not even want one either, but hell, it would be an awesome reminder that you went down the wrong road and corrected yourself before getting too deep.

good luck with whatever you go with!

also, no keg stands! lol

edit: just saw the post above me. i have chinese characters on the back of my neck for about 12 years now, im a white boy. shutup. lol.

anyways, i like the idea of the first latin phrase, i still also think the collar bone area is the way to go.
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 12-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Originally posted by Ruggzy_McTuggz

Great feedback man, I appreciate it. You are right, about pretty much everything. As far as relapsing, I am just as likely to relapse after a year then I am to relapse now. Rehab and all the shit they taught me is still fresh, as are the memories of what led me down that path. If I do relapse (I really do not think I will, but like you said who knows) it will be more likely to happen after 4-5 years of sobriety when I get over confident and figure I can start drinking socially again. Don't plan on doing so.

But you do have me thinking over the whole recovery tattoo as a whole. I would feel like a hypocrite doing keg stands with my sobriety tattoo showing lol.
    Your last statement answers your fundamental question.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 12-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.