Quantcast
Time for a new PC, need ideas before boxing day sales - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new PC, need ideas before boxing day sales

My Ride
    Sentra

Default Time for a new PC, need ideas before boxing day sales

My main pc is coming up on 5 years old I think now. It's served me well and I don't really *need* an upgrade, but it's getting a bit slow when I really want to load up a ton of stuff on it.
    It's a core 2 quad, Q9550, 8GB ram.

I don't want to spend the money to get top of the line. The new gen core i5's being quad core would probably suffice right?.

Just want to know what is recommended so later if memex has some boxing day/week sales I'll know if I should snag something or not.

I want at least 8GB of ram again, minimum quad core. Are ASUS motherboards still great? I don't need any fancy 7.1 audio, I usually use a headset. I'll need everything but a video card really, definitely want a new/bigger SSD. I'll re-use my this current box for an ESXi server likely.

I might want a new case, as with all the hard drives (5) in the antec 900 the front cages aren't in all the way as video cards are too long for it.

Any suggestions would be great.

Also...what do people use for a card reader? Swapped my monitor for newer one but lost the built in card reader. I imagine just a usb one?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Dude with those specs youre fine.

I would get an SSD and do a Windows reinstallation myself. Leave everything else alone - you will save $$$.

USB multi card readers are 20-30$.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

MemEx will def have a 3570k + mobo bundle. Sometimes they have bundles with ram too, last time they had a good sale, you could get an i5 3570k, decent Mobo and 8gb of ram for ~$350. SSDs are gonna be on sale too, look for anything that's cheaper then $.70/gb and it should be a good deal.

My Ride
    Grimace

i5 is fine, that is what I use now for lots of gaming with no issues. I have a 2500k so I think it is like 3570k now or something.
    Asus is still good, most will come with 7.1 audi regardless. I have a msi mobo now but I dont think memx carries those.

Jump on an ssd on boxing day, should be lots of deals like a corsair/intel/mushkin.
    Case is up to you, antec is always nice or coolermaster. I have a NZXT case as I wanted external hdd dock, I have 6 internal hdd plus dvd drive with room for a long gtx670.

Card reader I have a cheap usb one from memx from their velocity brand I believe, it was like $10, had slots for everything.

My Ride
    Sentra

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_3570K_Z77VLK

Seems like a nice bundle. I'd just have to piece together the rest of the system, case (worst part to have to pick/decide on), ram, ps, ssd.

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

I have a NZXT case too and they're ridiculously long. The case is pretty well laid out. This is what mine looks like

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

The case is about $160 though

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Originally posted by GoChris
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_3570K_Z77VLK

Seems like a nice bundle. I'd just have to piece together the rest of the system, case (worst part to have to pick/decide on), ram, ps, ssd.
    That's an amazing price. There's a Crucial M4 256gb SSD on for $160 as well as 2x8gb of Patriot Black Mamba Ram for $50. Get the Antec 850W PSU for $120 + $40 mail in rebate too.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by psycoticclown

That's an amazing price. There's a Crucial M4 256gb SSD on for $160 as well as 2x8gb of Patriot Black Mamba Ram for $50. Get the Antec 850W PSU for $120 + $40 mail in rebate too.
    All looks very good. Ram is cheap, PS is nice and powerful. SSD is a bit more than I was hoping to spend but it is big. Now I just have to find a case.

M4 128GB is $80 at FS.

My Ride
    Sentra

Is this bundle worth the extra $40 for the motherboard? Has a couple more sata connections, including 2 esata. Has an mSata port but I'm not sure it's usefulness besides space savings, and it seems it needs a special SSD anyway.
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_3550_Z77XUD3H

This is what I got. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as it's more than I wanted to spend. But seems like a great deal. I'll spend a few more than I planned if it's a really good deal, as my last pc has lasted me almost 5 years and it's being re-purposed for something good and useful to me.

Case seems nice looking, good reviews. I don't want flash but either way it's going to be under my desk partial out of view except the front. Don't like how the opening on the door has a top to it, so you can't open it and clear it of cables though.

Actually, upon a quick second look I think this case should suffice. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41599
    Will fit all the drives I plan on having (5, 2xSata for raid 0, 2xSata for raid 1, 1xSSD for OS), and a radeon 5850.

My Ride
    Sentra

Lol shit, wasn't watching online stock on half that stuff. All sold out. Fuck me right?
    Guess I'll head to the store for 8 am on Wednesday. FFS!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any idea how to put bundles into the system configurator on the memex website?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Use Intel SRT on the Z77 chipset and save $$$ by buying a 64GB SSD and letting the software intelligently cache the programs you use.

This simplifies installs by not requiring your input on which programs go on what drive.

After SRT is enabled your platter drive and SSD appear as one volume in Windows. Another benefit is when you decide to upgrade your SSD, you just uncache it and mount the new one.

My Ride
    Sentra

Hmm, very interesting. On the one hand that's very cost effective, on the other, it would be nice to have everything fast as hell.

Originally posted by GoChris
    Hmm, very interesting. On the one hand that's very cost effective, on the other, it would be nice to have everything fast as hell.
    If you wanted to stick with a larger SSD, you could still allocate up to 64GB as cache, the remainder is still usable as a separate volume in Windows.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone been to Memex today? How busy is it? I may wander down to the SE store, but i'm tied up until lunchtime. Hope they haven't sold out of the items I'm looking for.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Sentra

I came at 9, waited outside for 35 minutes. Now I'm inside with a hundred people in front of me. I'm not really expecting everything to be in stock by the time I get to the front.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, if the line is out the door when I show up, I'm not staying. Saving fifty bucks isn't worth the couple hours that would take. Wonder how up-to-date the online inventory is? I'll re-check before I go down.

Edit: Just checked and the Intel 3570K + asus p8z77-v LK mobo bumndle is sold out everywhere. I didn't have my heart set on that.

We'll see, if everything is sold out today, I've got alternate parts picked out already, and I'll go in tomorrow or later this week and do price-match.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-26-2012 at 12:14 PM.

My Ride
    Sentra

Got mine. Line was inside by the time I left.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was at memex NE today around 1:45. Parking lot was busy, but only 15 minute line insude the store. I was out of there in 40 minutes, and that included getting my processor and ram mounted (for free).
    Go memex!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast