Quantcast
Oats - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Oats

My Ride
    Car

Default Oats

I'm trying to put together a meal plan (see other thread) and one of my favorite breakfasts in college was a smoothie with 1 cup milk, 1 cup plain yogurt, half cup strawberries and half cup oats. I was just looking at the nutritional info on oats and holy balls, 600 calories per cup? I understand its still very healthy, but I'm trying to create a calory deficit here. Should I just rule this smoothie out of my diet, or is there something about oats that will still help me shed some belly fat?

That seems a little high. What type of oats are you using? Sweetened or unsweetened? Salted or unsalted? Look into Steel Cut Oats, should be around 250-350 calories per cup with only a few grams of fat.

My Ride
    Car

I have no idea, I just googled oats calories and assumed they were the generic kind. I'm using the plain, bulk oats from safeway - pretty sure they come straight from the harvester lol. Is that steel cut?

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

That might be uncooked... 1/2cup of quick oats is usually only 30g carbs with is like 90cals or so.

I have the whole grain oats from costco. 130 calories per 1/3 cup, 30 g carbs with 4 from fibre, 3g fat, and 6g protein.

Here's a link for safeway oats nutri data that I found:

http://tracker.dailyburn.com/recipes...y_bulk_oatmeal

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You need to look deeper into oats. In decreasing order of amunt they've been precessed:
    Steel Cut oats
    "old fashioned," "slow" or "large flake" oats,
    "quick oats.
    Instant oatmeal.

Also, don't confuse granola with oats, granola almost always has a sweetener added.

My breakfast is a 50/50 mix of steel cut and large flake oats, with just enough yogurt to make a paste. Stop drinking smoothies, use a goddamn spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Default Re: Oats

instant oats or roller oat?

only eat cut oat!

do you speak of 1 cup UNCOOKED oats, or 1 cup COOKED oats.

when you cook, oat increases in size. maybe double. ONE cup RAW = TWO cup COOK.

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    I'm trying to put together a meal plan (see other thread) and one of my favorite breakfasts in college was a smoothie with 1 cup milk, 1 cup plain yogurt, half cup strawberries and half cup oats. I was just looking at the nutritional info on oats and holy balls, 600 calories per cup? I understand its still very healthy, but I'm trying to create a calory deficit here. Should I just rule this smoothie out of my diet, or is there something about oats that will still help me shed some belly fat?