Quantcast
Looking for SUV or Truck...ideas? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for SUV or Truck...ideas?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Default Looking for SUV or Truck...ideas?

Hey all, I am in the market for a vehicle and figured I would throw this out there and get some ideas.

Planning to build a Expo/tow vehicle for road trips and camping, I am looking for comfort above all, with reliability close behind, and has to be able to tow a decent amount ie: car trailer/toys. I am currently considering GMC Yukon/denali, Ford Expedition/Excursion, or Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had settled on the Ford Expedition as I figured it had the best ride of the three, but a friend with a similar year pickup has me wondering about the 5.4 motor, looking online it seems to have tons of bad reviews although the overall vehicle gets very good reviews. Now I am leaning towards the Grand Cherokee, but dont know anyone who has really put one to the test so unsure about reliability. I am very set on having a killer comfortable interior, have owned pretty much every import out there and none of them even come close to the SUVs I listed in terms of comfort. My last Toyota pickup almost killed me.

Price range is as cheap as I can get, but under 10K for sure, aiming around 5000, prefer unmodded as I have very specific tastes. Anyone have any other ideas, or comments about the ones I posted?

My Ride
    QX80,SL600, Utopia 205SE

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 10:11 AM.

My Ride
    K-car

I've had two Yukons now, both were totaly reliable vehicles. I would recomend them without a doubt.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    You can get a used HUMMER H2 pretty close to your budget...
    Too bad their reliability isn't exactly renowned... not to mention having a social stigma as well as terrible fuel mileage.

I too had heard bad things about the 5.4 in the Ford, and don't think you'd exactly be looking at Ford's "quality years".

I think the Yukon's are pretty reliable overall and might be a good choice.

The Cherokee isn't going to have the same room that you would have with the Yukon or Expedition, which seems to be the kind of vehicle you're looking for.

The Envoy is supposed to be a decent SUV with at least a little size that you might want to consider, and they go for very reasonable prices these days.

A little smaller but potentially a good choice would be the Mercedes ML series. The 500's tend to be a little pricey still but the 430's provide decent power at a reasonable price.

You may also want to consider a Durango maybe? (Although these have had some quality issues of their own)
    Last edited by Kloubek; 12-01-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 10:11 AM.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Nice! Hadnt really considered a Lexus, and being a toyota lover thats very appealing. Its another one that I have no experience with though and I wonder about repair costs? Also I do need to tow a boat or a camper, and sometimes a car trailer so I need a good amount of power. I am looking in B.C. and there isnt one for sale that I can find under 10K, I would be willing to drive out there, but would prefer not to have to do an OOP.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    You can get a used HUMMER H2 pretty close to your budget... under 10K will take you a bit of hunting, but I am sure it is doable. Guaranteed to be more comfortable than the others you mentioned, and they make great tow vehicles as they come with the big 6L V8's. I know a ton of guys that tow massive camping trailers (that look more like small houses than trailers!) all over Canada and the US with them.

Parts are not too bad on them either, they share a lot in common with the Tahoe so availability and prices for stuff like wheel bearings and engine components is pretty good.
    I had looked at a couple, it does seem that finding a decent condition model under 10K is very hard, exactly what im looking for though in terms of comfort and power. What is the mileage like on them? Is it the same 6L V8 thats in the Denali? The only issue I have had with Hummer is the interior build quality, I have had many plastic parts pop off while driving a friends truck, and I always thought it felt cheap inside. I dont know if that was a one off as it was beat to shit, but it left me wanting more when I drove it. I havent test driven anything yet, going out looking today, but I am a bit worried that domestic companies can't seem to make a decent interior. The other thing I wonder about with all these trucks, is will they fit in the garage! going to have to take some measurements.

Originally posted by corsvette
    I've had two Yukons now, both were totaly reliable vehicles. I would recomend them without a doubt.
    Good to hear as I have been leaning towards a Denali after doing more research, any common issues that they have had, or things I should look for as far as service? What was your mileage like? Did you do any towing? I am looking at a 2003 Denali with 200K, but it is at the top of my price range and more than double the price of similar year large SUVs. Is the interior that much better than a Yukon?

Originally posted by Kloubek

Too bad their reliability isn't exactly renowned... not to mention having a social stigma as well as terrible fuel mileage.

I too had heard bad things about the 5.4 in the Ford, and don't think you'd exactly be looking at Ford's "quality years".

I think the Yukon's are pretty reliable overall and might be a good choice.

The Cherokee isn't going to have the same room that you would have with the Yukon or Expedition, which seems to be the kind of vehicle you're looking for.

The Envoy is supposed to be a decent SUV with at least a little size that you might want to consider, and they go for very reasonable prices these days.

A little smaller but potentially a good choice would be the Mercedes ML series. The 500's tend to be a little pricey still but the 430's provide decent power at a reasonable price.

You may also want to consider a Durango maybe? (Although these have had some quality issues of their own)
    Good points, the cherokee is on there because I have ridden in and driven one thousands of k's and know how comfortable it is and that it will hold up for a long time, the build quality compared to any of my trucks is night and day, but I dont have any other domestic luxury to compare to. I think the ford is officially off the table, even though I like the truck the best I am too worried about reliability. The envoy is another consideration, but I think I would take the Yukon over it just for the towing power. The envoy also does not review as well as my other options. Have looked at a couple of Durangos, which are nice, but I am scared of Dodge, having always thought of them as the least comfortable domestic. How are the mercedes in terms of maintenance? I have seen a few in my price range, but wonder about repairs, and it doesnt really have a big engine option so I doubt it would be much of a tow machine.
    Last edited by GTS4tw; 12-01-2012 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I don't have any personal experience with the ML's, but I have not heard any bad things to speak of. The engine choices range from 320 to 5.5, so I'm pretty sure you could find something that works for you ok. Honestly, I was just throwing ideas at you. I haven't done research on tow capacity, etc but I seem to remember "5000 lbs" sticking out in my mind for the 500 which should be adequate if true.

I guess if comfort is key, the Durango isn't really the best choice. However, I've had two grand cherokees (limited) and they struck me as actually more luxurious than I expected even though they are almost a Durango in disguise.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

I don't have any personal experience with the ML's, but I have not heard any bad things to speak of. The engine choices range from 320 to 5.5, so I'm pretty sure you could find something that works for you ok. Honestly, I was just throwing ideas at you. I haven't done research on tow capacity, etc but I seem to remember "5000 lbs" sticking out in my mind for the 500 which should be adequate if true.

I guess if comfort is key, the Durango isn't really the best choice. However, I've had two grand cherokees (limited) and they struck me as actually more luxurious than I expected even though they are almost a Durango in disguise.
    I am looking at some Mercedes now and it seems like to keep it in my price range I would be looking at high mileage or low options, the 500 would be nice and looks very comfortable though. Ill keep an eye out for them when im out looking today.

The Jeep is insanely comfortable, that is how it made the list, if the interiors on Durangos come even close then I would be interested but most that I have looked at have cheap looking interiors in comparison. I also trust the Jeep in any conditions and have worked on them in the past and know them to be reliable. Biggest downside is that 99% of them are all-time AWD, and if I get one I would prefer to have selectable 2wd, because the mileage is the worst of anything I'm looking at. It also is cheaper for a similar year and would leave me more room for mods, which, for the most part, happen to be more expensive than on my other choices

My Ride
    K-car

The Denali has a slightly different 6.0L than the H2. The heads are new and they have more hp @345. Ours got average of 15mpg city and about 18-19 highway, keep in mind these numbers are better than the 09 Suburban we have now with the 5.3 and the Denali had more power. On a trip's down to sea level the Denali got 20+ MPG, pretty good imo and mine was the XL version.

The Interiors were standard era GM, though I never had any real quality issues with ours and evreything worked after 8 years. the Denali has different dash trim, two tone leather, the 6.0 345hp, all wheel drive, automatic ride control, and grille and body moldings.

We towed a trailer with ours. It had no problem towing it had good power and I loved the trans temp gauge. Watch out for a "service ride control" message on the dash, ours has the rear compressor go out. It rode fine, but when I hooked up the trailer the truck sank way down, the compressor is for leveling of the rear air shocks and is common to go out. You can replace it with nomal gas shocks as well for less $$.

Overall it was a awesome truck overall, brakes, the compressor, and a waterpump were the only repairs i made. If the truck you are looking at has been well maintained it will last forever. Good luck!

An ML shouldn't even be a consideration if you wanna tow. You might be able to tow a smaller boat but why do it in something thats not meant to tow big things.

If you plan on towing on a regular basis, id go with a yukon denali. Those things are pretty nice inside and can tow a decent amount. The last thing you want to be doing is buying something that can tow a max of 5k lbs and towing 5k lbs with it, its not nice towing something at max capacity.
    Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

My lunch tab is that much for two people.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

the Ford 5.4L with the 6 speed transmission is a good setup. You can find lots of people who had problems, but that is one of the highest proudction engines in the last 10 years, so as a percentage, it's not bad at all.

For an Expedition, newer than 2007 and you are golden.

An Excursion with the diesel engine would be a fantastic tow rig, but prices on that truck are so high.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Not sure he could find a 2007+ for under 10k?

As for Jeep - the reason I mentioned the Durango is because it is better suited for on-road driving. If you're looking for a WJ, the solid suspension isn't the best on-road and leads to fairly clumsy handling and a lot of steering wheel correction when on the road. Of course, in 2005 they went to a different suspension system and those models are also in your price range and would probably suit you just fine. However, in those years they also downgraded the interior to a typical Chrysler/Dodge hard plastic and boxy design pos.

I am not sure how much you're planning on towing, but Stunt is right... if you're planning on towing 5k, using a truck with a maximum 5k capacity isn't the best choice.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I'm not sure where people are seeing h2 hummers for 10k but I've yet to see one. The cheapest one in Alberta right now is 14000 with 260k on it, second cheapest is 16000 from a dealership and just goes up from there.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by corsvette
    The Denali has a slightly different 6.0L than the H2. The heads are new and they have more hp @345. Ours got average of 15mpg city and about 18-19 highway, keep in mind these numbers are better than the 09 Suburban we have now with the 5.3 and the Denali had more power. On a trip's down to sea level the Denali got 20+ MPG, pretty good imo and mine was the XL version.

The Interiors were standard era GM, though I never had any real quality issues with ours and evreything worked after 8 years. the Denali has different dash trim, two tone leather, the 6.0 345hp, all wheel drive, automatic ride control, and grille and body moldings.

We towed a trailer with ours. It had no problem towing it had good power and I loved the trans temp gauge. Watch out for a "service ride control" message on the dash, ours has the rear compressor go out. It rode fine, but when I hooked up the trailer the truck sank way down, the compressor is for leveling of the rear air shocks and is common to go out. You can replace it with nomal gas shocks as well for less $$.

Overall it was a awesome truck overall, brakes, the compressor, and a waterpump were the only repairs i made. If the truck you are looking at has been well maintained it will last forever. Good luck!
    Thanks a lot for the info, I havent looked at any Denalis yet but I am looking at a Yukon this morning that is very appealing to me and much cheaper than the cheapest local denali. I am going to go look at the denali and compare the two today to see if the upgrade is worth it.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    the Ford 5.4L with the 6 speed transmission is a good setup. You can find lots of people who had problems, but that is one of the highest proudction engines in the last 10 years, so as a percentage, it's not bad at all.

For an Expedition, newer than 2007 and you are golden.

An Excursion with the diesel engine would be a fantastic tow rig, but prices on that truck are so high.
    If I could get an Excursion in my price range it would be no contest, but there are only a couple for sale in the province that are even under 20k, cant justify the upgrade since this will be a devoted camping rig.

Not sure he could find a 2007+ for under 10k?

As for Jeep - the reason I mentioned the Durango is because it is better suited for on-road driving. If you're looking for a WJ, the solid suspension isn't the best on-road and leads to fairly clumsy handling and a lot of steering wheel correction when on the road. Of course, in 2005 they went to a different suspension system and those models are also in your price range and would probably suit you just fine. However, in those years they also downgraded the interior to a typical Chrysler/Dodge hard plastic and boxy design pos.

I am not sure how much you're planning on towing, but Stunt is right... if you're planning on towing 5k, using a truck with a maximum 5k capacity isn't the best choice.
    Looked at a Durango yesterday and while I was impressed with the interior, it didnt stand out at all. Had a stiff ride on the road compared to the jeep although it does feel pretty similar. Seemed to have more road noise but it could have been the tires. The jeep felt more solid to me, and more luxurious being so quiet. I test drove a Range Rover yesterday because a good deal came up on one, and i figured it was a V8 with a tow package. Hated it. Terrible ride, lack of power, nothing special about it at all. I really think I am now debating only between Grand Cherokees, Yukon/Denali, or Chevy Tahoe.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-11-2019 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are looking at an Expedition, the 1997-2002 model was pretty reliable, and very good for towing as it was almost identical to the F150 of those years. The 2003-2006 wasn't as good IMO. The 2007+ is good again, but probably out of your price range.

Only thing to watch for is the air suspension on the eddie bauer (and maybe lariat?) trim, while awesomely comfortable, is very prone to breakage, and a pain in the butt to fix. You are better off with the low end models without the air suspension.

With anything that is in your price range, you shoudl count on it breaking a few parts from time to time. In my opinion, you are better off getting something that was sold in large volume so it's easier to find parts when (not if) required.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

If you're looking for reliability, a Range Rover wasn't in the cards for you anyway... they're terrible. Surprised you felt the ride wasn't good though - they're supposed to be pretty comfy. And power... well... they're really heavy vehicles with old school engines.

No, the Durango doesn't stand out in any respect. I actually thought the interiors were fairly ho-hum next to the GC.

Seriously - if you're not going offroad, if I were you I'd sooner pick the extra cargo space you get with the GM products. The Yukon has something like 115-120 cubic feet whereas the Grand only has 72 or something like that.

I used to have a 2000 Yukon and the cargo area was airy to say the least.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 12-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Well Thanks for all the input, after a lot of test drives, and a lot of driving to different cities to look at junk heaps, I decided to go back to my roots and get a jeep. Picked up a cheap '98 Grand Cherokee LTD for a fraction of my budget, which means I will be modding the crap out of it ASAP! I decided that being capable offroad is somewhat important to me still, and being able to fit it in the garage to work on it is a huge bonus.

Now Im looking for a good rooftop tent, and trying to decide what to do for bumpers...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

ARB RTT, ARB front bumper with a 10k winch, KOR Stealth or Rockhard4x4 rear bumper.

Bumpers for the ZJ will run you $1000-$1200 for the top of the line front and any rear. You'll need at least 2" of lift for the extra weight.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast