Quantcast
Installed ssd, laptop won't boot off windows usb/dvd, Plz Help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Installed ssd, laptop won't boot off windows usb/dvd, Plz Help

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

Default Installed ssd, laptop won't boot off windows usb/dvd, Plz Help

I installed a ssd drive into a laptop thatI came with windows 8

I didn't have to Windows8 cd so i bought it online and made the UsB and dvd

Once ssd installed I tried to boot off UsB and dvd but the computer goes straight to BIOs.

I checked boot priority but nothing was there.

It was as iif the computer didn't detect the UsB or dvd.

When I reinstall the original message drive everything works fine.

Is my ssd fucked or is my laptop fucked?

Please help me out !!
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

My SSD drive stopped being recognized after I enabled my USB port to charge with the PC turned off and charge faster by enabling AI charger (some ASUS feature). Not sure which feature hooped it but resetting my BIOS to default fixed everything. My BIOS has an option to reset to default, otherwise pulling the battery off the mobo for a while will do it.

If you just bought this laptop, you probably still have support with the manufacturer. Try calling them before going any further.

But based on what you said, are you sure the DVD you're using is bootable? It's not enough to simply just burn the win8 files onto a DVD.

Default Re: Installed ssd, laptop won't boot off windows usb/dvd, Plz Help

Originally posted by r0g3r
    I installed a ssd drive into a laptop thatI came with windows 8

I didn't have to Windows8 cd so i bought it online and made the UsB and dvd

If you bought a windows 8 laptop there is no need to buy another copy of it to install on the same computer. In your case the computer either came with the windows 8 installation dvd or it has a software utility that was pre-installed on the original drive that can burn the installation disc.

Once ssd installed I tried to boot off UsB and dvd but the computer goes straight to BIOs.

I checked boot priority but nothing was there.

It was as iif the computer didn't detect the UsB or dvd.

In the bios there are options to set the boot priority, you want to make sure that the dvd/usb options boot first (depending where your booting from). If you tell us the model of the laptop we can find a screen cap of where to go in the bios to set the boot priority. There will always be things under the boot priority so im not sure what you mean when you say there is nothing there.

Like someone has already mentioned if you burn/create your own bootable disc/usb it has to be done correctly so the pc will know its a bootable disc. You should have burned the disc as as iso image. If you did this step wrong your computer will never boot the cd/usb windows 8 installation.

You are better off using the dvd disc you made because there is probably a less chance of you messing something up. With a usb you might run into minor complications that prevent you from booting.

On most modern computers you can press F12 at the bios screen and choose the device to boot from. Based on your description I think the problem is more likely to do with user error than a defective ssd.

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

Default Re: Re: Installed ssd, laptop won't boot off windows usb/dvd, Plz Help

Originally posted by mushi_mushi

If you bought a windows 8 laptop there is no need to buy another copy of it to install on the same computer. In your case the computer either came with the windows 8 installation dvd or it has a software utility that was pre-installed on the original drive that can burn the installation disc.

Like someone has already mentioned if you burn/create your own bootable disc/usb it has to be done correctly so the pc will know its a bootable disc. You should have burned the disc as as iso image. If you did this step wrong your computer will never boot the cd/usb windows 8 installation.

You are better off using the dvd disc you made because there is probably a less chance of you messing something up. With a usb you might run into minor complications that prevent you from booting.

My laptop is Asus R500a

How do you make a installation disc from within windows?

I tried making a "Recovery drive" via windows 8, and made it using USB. However, when i try to boot off it, i tried hitting "reset pc" and it would give me an error stating that the recovery partition is missing (clearly, becuase it wont be on the new ssd drive).

So that recovery method route does not work.

Plz tell me how to make an installation disc from within windows, thank you so much for your help!
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

Default Re: Re: Re: Installed ssd, laptop won't boot off windows usb/dvd, Plz Help

Originally posted by r0g3r

My laptop is Asus R500a

How do you make a installation disc from within windows?

I tried making a "Recovery drive" via windows 8, and made it using USB. However, when i try to boot off it, i tried hitting "reset pc" and it would give me an error stating that the recovery partition is missing (clearly, becuase it wont be on the new ssd drive).

So that recovery method route does not work.

Plz tell me how to make an installation disc from within windows, thank you so much for your help!
    If you have windows 8 installed on the old drive just do a clone of the drive to the SSD. Most if not all SSD drive manufactures come with disk cloning software, else boot a copy of clonezilla off of a flash drive.

If you don't have an external SATA connection to attach the other drive with find a USB hard drive enclosure to put the drive to clone from into it and clone to the new drive installed in the laptop.

Check page A17 to make the recovery disks. The path is Start Menu>All Applications>Asus>AI Recovery.

http://mypdfmanuals.com/dref/4254158

If you're using the Metro interface, then right click on a blank part of the screen and "All Applications" will appear.

If your using a standard Start menu, then just click on that and go to Programs.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 01-03-2013 at 09:48 AM.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...8-on-a-new-pc/

Did u get this figured out yet?
    Saw ur pm late one night thought I'll reply in the am and forgot lol
    Looks like there is no more cdkey shit for computers that come with win8 pre installed?

Other than tht yeah Just find out what button to press on the laptop to get to the bios, go to bios and set the boot preference to DVD drive or USB (it may be buried in a menu somewhere so go thru slowly until u find it)
    Last edited by EK69; 01-07-2013 at 04:28 AM.