Quantcast
Piano lessons on ipad? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Piano lessons on ipad?

My Ride
    Car

Default Piano lessons on ipad?

Not sure if this is the right forum but hell, why not.

I just got a keyboard for a steal on boxing day, and having wanted to get back into piano (haven't played since I was a kid) I now need to figure out lessons. Realistically I can't start taking in-person lessons until summer, so is there an ipad app that goes through all the methods and stuff? I'd imagine its something that you put on the music stand, it puts up a lesson, listens to what you play, and critiques/etc. I've been googling for a few minutes and there's a million ones out there it seems, but lots of them seem like they're just songbooks or "portable" pianos. I want a straight up lesson book...

Any leads?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

for books and music go here:

http://rideaumusic.com/
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

Buy the first two Leila Fletcher Piano children books. I give them to all my adult students and they typically work through them on their own at a pretty fast pace without much feedback. They basically don't mess around and you start reading notes by the second page and introduce alot of key techniques and a tiny bit of theory that I find alot of other beginner books exclude. Focus on getting the rhythm down and using the right hand positions (follow the finger numbers). If you can get through those two books playing the songs reasonably well without any major breaks or pauses you'll save yourself alot of money when you start taking actual lessons. If you suspect you're still struggling with rhythm use a metronome and play through the song with it set to different note values (start at eighth note progress to quarter note and then half note) till you really start to feel smaller note values with the metronome set to half note.

Record yourself playing and listen back, even my worst adult student can tell me when they've made a mistake. Realistically unless you have no sense of rhythm at a beginner level I don't think an ipad app is going to tell you anything you won't be able to figure out by listening back to yourself playing, and even then a metronome would do the same job.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Originally posted by rotten42
    for books and music go here:

http://rideaumusic.com/
    Lol, they literally just closed down.

My Ride
    Car

I'll go pick up those books tonight. After thinking about it I guess the only usefullness connecting the ipad would provide is for learning sight reading, and I found at least a couple options that should do the part - Piano Tutor or Piano Notes Pro. They basically connect as a midi interface and quiz you on your response times and accuracy. Between that and the books I think I should be good for a while!

Originally posted by psycoticclown

Lol, they literally just closed down.
    I'm pretty sure they kept one location open, they had a fire sale a few weeks ago to liquidate a ton of inventory. I'd be suprised if the remaining location makes it to the end of the year.

Edit: also if you're struggling with any particular concept or technique just PM me, I can probably explain it quickly or recommend something to help.
    Last edited by Kramerica; 01-02-2013 at 04:26 PM.

There is a tiny piano app that allows you to see which keys to press for a variety of songs.