Quantcast
Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    There's never going to be a counter protest because most people in the world have shit do to. Jobs to go to, kids to look after, etc. It's all just a bunch of e-talk that isn't going to go anywhere. In two or three weeks this will all be old news and there will be general low level bitching & whining about something else.
    QFT

I won't risk being arrested, miss a day of work, etc as much as paying for a group of free loaders pisses me off. It's like having a lazy douche bag uncle that lives on his own and pays for everything with his welfare cheque and bitches about it, as much as he pisses you off you have better things to do than listen to him so you throw him $20 so he'll just go away.

That being said I would love to see it happen and get national coverage!
    Last edited by kvg; 01-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.

My Ride
    Hatred

So only unemployed hipsters and natives protest these days? Since we all have jobs to go to?
    -U

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I personally can't see it growing to a sizable level, but the more I think about it some people just need a taste of their own medicine.

My Ride
    Hatred

It's a dream of mine that some day we are all treated equally (Including FN). Luckily I work shift so I have weekdays off all the time.
    -U

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/01/16...osses-the-line
    Justice minister says barring traffic along major roadway ‘crosses the line’
    Pissed off.

He says the words two times.

He says them when a lot of people in authority wouldn’t go there.

“I am pissed off with the tactics,” he says.

“I drive that road a lot. It’s one of the busiest roads in Canada. If I was there right now I’d be pissed off too,” he also says just before the protesters are on the highway at the capital city.

The man doing the speaking is Alberta’s top cop Jonathan Denis.

He is talking about the blockading of roadways by Idle No More protesters or anybody else.

Denis says the act of blockading “crosses the line.”

He is talking Wednesday as traffic is blocked, diverted and then finally vehicles crawl in one northbound lane on the QEII highway at the entrance to Edmonton.

It is said to be all done in the name of getting justice or something like that.

The province’s minister of justice wants to make it crystal clear it is the tactic of blocking traffic not the people and not the content of their message causing him to be “pissed off.”

After all, other First Nations groups express their discontent with the federal government but do not block traffic.

Denis takes great pains to say he cannot order the cops to go in and lay down the law.

They have their authority. There can be no political interference, he says. This is not the Third World.

But the justice boss meets this coming Monday with the police chiefs from Calgary and Edmonton as well as the Mounties about handling blockades, including what to do about a vow by some protesters to shut down Hwy. 63.

As you know, that road goes to the oilsands. It is the highway to our golden goose.

Denis, a lawyer, says the constitution guarantees the right to peaceful assembly “no matter what a person has to say.”

He points out section 1 of the Charter guarantees rights and freedoms subject to “reasonable limits ... as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.”

“When you start blockading a major roadway, to me that’s going too far. You’re affecting the rights of others,” says Denis.

“I think they’re going beyond the reasonable limits in a free and democratic society. We have the rule of law and I think everybody should be treated the same, aboriginal and non-aboriginal.”

“My personal view is you can protest on the side of the road, outside my office, wave signs, hand out leaflets. That’s within your rights to peaceful assembly and the key is peaceful.”

Denis says if and when police make arrests it’s going to end up in the courts where “it’s not up to me to define the constitution.”

The justice minister is also “worried about things going too far” possibly endangering both protesters and other members of the public.

“It’s not unreasonable we would see an altercation, physical harm, people trying to run a blockade. This is Alberta.”

“I’m worried about riots that could happen,” he adds.

Denis makes these remarks before the first news report tells us a truck does run the QEII blockade.

The top cop urges everyone to be “measured and reasonable.”

He says a lot of people have already contacted his office and told him to shut down the protests.

Again, Denis says it’s up to police.

A final point. Denis points out he grew up in Regina “near several reserves.”

“I understand a lot of the concerns,” but “I’m really hoping the aboriginal people here stick to a very peaceful message.”

You won’t hear a Kumbaya coming on in the provincial political trenches, but this is a rare occasion where the opposition Wildrose is onside with a Progressive Conservative cabinet minister though their spokesman uses somewhat less colourful lingo.

“Look, there’s nothing wrong with a good protest, that’s what democracy is all about. But once you start trampling on the rights of other people, that’s a problem,” says Wildrose MLA Rob Anderson.

Like Denis, Anderson doesn’t want any argy-bargy.

“When rules aren’t enforced some people take the law into their own hands and that’s not something we want to see.”

Denis is well aware his “pissed off” remarks will cause some pushback in certain circles.

“I’m a citizen in this province,” he replies.

“I’m entitled to an opinion too.”
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Wow if they actually tried to shut down hwy 63, there'd be hell to pay.

As for the people organizing this Grey Eagle protest, what is the reason you are going? What is the message that you're trying to convey? Unless I've missed it, people are going to "protest the Grey Eagle" but I didn't see why other than the fact they could.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I suppose he'll (Justice Minister) be labelled a racist now.

And no one is going to "protest" the Grey Eagle, they're all a bunch of internet whiners who would have even less direction and leadership than the "Idle no Mores" or the "Occupiers" i'm assuming.

EDIT - If they do, they'd better do it right and have a properly laid out reasoning system and an eloquent spokesman.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 01-17-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by msommers

As for the people organizing this Grey Eagle protest, what is the reason you are going? What is the message that you're trying to convey? Unless I've missed it, people are going to "protest the Grey Eagle" but I didn't see why other than the fact they could.
    Social experiement from what I can gather. See if any action will be taken against the every-day-canadian vs "special treatment" for the natives, or perhaps to exaggerate the discrepancy in 'fairness' between canadians and aboriginals.

Or, to simply show the natives how frustrating it is to obstruct a major revenue of income.

Or, simply to voice how frustrating the situation is that a specific select group of citizens in this country gets better treatment and the rest are sick of it. I wish I didn't have to pay GST. I wish any job I'd get no taxes would be taken off, I wish I got government cheques for just being me, etc.

There are many reasons to do it. I'm not, but I'm busy and don't have time for it. I do support people for voicing their lack of satisfaction in "equality" and I'm sick of this crap.

The Jews aren't getting paid by the Germans from ww2, they basically walked away thinking "Thank god we're alive" whereas the natives are still holding on to a war that was fought longer ago than WW2 because we keep tap dancing around the issue that we won a war and "we feel bad."

Edit:

I'll add, I dont think specifically law enforcement or politicians are intentionally showing any special treatment, but they do have to be careful on how this is handled. Like I said earlier, seems like everybody is playing chicken and awaiting for the other party to draw "first blood" (first action of violence)

I hope it doesn't turn into that, I think Masked bandit is right, if we just ignore it, it will fizzle out.
    Last edited by 403Gemini; 01-17-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Inequality no more

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by phil98z24

That was a public safety incident, not a peaceful protest. While factually incorrect, I can see how you want to see it that way if it serves your "government hates whitey" theory.
    nice, way to skirt around it. There was plenty of the protest of the g8/g20 summit that was peaceful. There was plenty of questionable/illegal detainees involved in that, which is fact. It's pretty god damn dangerous to the public's safety to blockade a HIGHWAY. I like police, and I think the government is doing what they can. I also think the harper government is the only one with the balls to get rid of this trudeau bullshit nightmare we are living through in this day and age.

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    The Jews aren't getting paid by the Germans from ww2, they basically walked away thinking "Thank god we're alive" whereas the natives are still holding on to a war that was fought longer ago than WW2 because we keep tap dancing around the issue that we won a war and "we feel bad."
    Bad example bro, the krauts and slav sukas have paid plenty, and are still paying as more massacres are uncovered.

Originally posted by Grogador

Bad example bro, the krauts and slav sukas have paid plenty, and are still paying as more massacres are uncovered.
    I suppose , but the country as a whole, Germany isn't saying "Hey Jews, need a place to call 'home'? We got some land for you... btw, here's some money too!"

edit: I guess a better example is the Roman Empire... They had superior technology, military tactics and organization and won... which is what happened when Europeans landed on North America
    Last edited by 403Gemini; 01-17-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Originally posted by msommers

Pretty much the reasons 403gemini gave.

a) Social experiment to see if we would be treated differently than natives

b) Show them blocking a major revenue stream is not kosher

c) Tsuu Tina has held this city hostage on the ring road for far too long (Grey eagle was part of the deal to allow us to build the ring road)

There are several reasons really.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Grogador

My wife's parents are Polish. Her family used to own about 20 acres of land before WW2 where they bred horses. Russians took it. Nazi's killed one great uncle, Russians starved another to death in a prison camp. They never got their land back. Her dad managed to escape communist Poland and came to Canada. He snuck back in to grab her mom and got her out but almost got caught...but made it in the end. If caught they would have been sent to prison for god knows how long. Or they would have simply disappeared.

My wife's parents were not allowed to escape the communists under penalty of prison or "disappearance", had relatives murdered and land taken. Their religion was suppressed by an Atheist state and their schools taught Russian propaganda. But they managed to escape and never once, not once, have they ever hinted that Putin, or Russia in general, owes them anything.

In contrast, the Natives can leave the reserve system anytime they want. At least they have a choice. Granted, the treaties and coddling by Canada has made them lazy and they have a "gimme gimme" attitude as a result. Continuing that sure won't help them.

I met a lot of successful natives and they all left the reservations. They are still native, still passionate about environmental issues and still raise their children with their religion and beliefs. Only difference is they don't take taxpayer money to "be native" like idle no more seems to think is necessary.

Originally posted by frizzlefry

I met a lot of successful natives and they all left the reservations. They are still native, still passionate about environmental issues and still raise their children with their religion and beliefs. Only difference is they don't take taxpayer money to "be native" like idle no more seems to think is necessary.
    As some of you know, I own a computer repair shop. I have about a dozen native customers, and they're all similar to what frizzlefry has described.

Anywho, I just got back from a service call for one of those customers (his name is "Duce"...how cool is that!), and of course we got talking about the movement. In a nutshell, he said that not only were he and his wife disgusted and embarrassed by the movement, but all of their off reserve and employed native friends were as well.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Seth1968

As some of you know, I own a computer repair shop. I have about a dozen native customers, and they're all similar to what frizzlefry has described.

Anywho, I just got back from a service call for one of those customers (his name is "Duce"...how cool is that!), and of course we got talking about the movement. In a nutshell, he said that not only were he and his wife disgusted and embarrassed by the movement, but all of their off reserve and employed native friends were as well.
    These stories, no matter how numerous, are always discounted by the people behind the movement as irrelevant. It's pathetic.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparat...d_West_Germany

Is it really that hard to Google this stuff?

Originally posted by effingidiot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparat...d_West_Germany

Is it really that hard to Google this stuff?
    I suppose the argument of Germany and the Israelis is an apples and oranges situation, but you're right there are certain instances where reparations are being paid - as they should since they lost the war and need to pay for the crimes they committed.

Again though, they lost the war. Had they not, do you think they'd be setting up little settlements for the countries they took over? Nope. The citizens would need to adapt.

What about the British and Tibet?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ition_to_Tibet

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Again though, they lost the war. Had they not, do you think they'd be setting up little settlements for the countries they took over? Nope. The citizens would need to adapt.
    This. Look at Russia and what they did to Poland...and what Putin thinks about even saying sorry. A luxury because they won. Sucks but thats how it goes.

Article

Russians are deeply proud of the role the Soviet Union played in crushing Nazi Germany during what they call the “Great Patriotic War” of 1941-45, in which some 27 million Soviet citizens died and which ended with Soviet control of eastern Europe.

But Poles and Balts also remember how Stalin used a non-aggression pact clinched by his foreign minister, Vyacheslav Molotov, and Germany’s Joachim von Ribbentrop in August 1939 to seize their lands and start mass deportations and executions.

Two weeks after Adolf Hitler launched his ‘Blitzkrieg’ against Poland on September 1, 1939, and Britain and France declared war on Germany, Soviet forces invaded eastern Poland.

Shortly afterwards they began the process of annexing the three tiny Baltic republics. Germany only invaded the Soviet Union in 1941.

A poll published in Monday’s Rzeczpospolita newspaper indicated that a majority of Poles believe Moscow shares equal responsibility with Berlin for the outbreak of World War Two.

In his article, published in Poland’s Gazeta Wyborcza daily, Putin condemned the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, but noted that France and

Britain had also tried to compromise with Hitler in 1938, acquiescing in the destruction of Czechoslovakia, and then failed to come to Poland’s aid after declaring war on Germany.

Putin urged Poland to follow modern Germany’s example in putting aside historical bitterness and building a strong economic and political partnership with Russia.

“I am sure that sooner or later Russian-Polish relations will reach the same high standard of true partnership (as Germany and Russia)… This is in the interests of our peoples and the whole of Europe.”

Chancellor Angela Merkel will represent Germany at Tuesday’s commemoration.

The Polish government has no wish to get embroiled in historical disputes with Russia, an increasingly important trade partner that provides the bulk of Poland’s gas and oil needs.

“We have to keep cool heads and not allow ourselves to get drawn into a pointless sparring match,” said Prime Minister Donald Tusk, who will hold bilateral talks with Putin in Gdansk.

WW2 is a relativly recent event in the big scheme of things and I don't recall mass executions of Natives in the 40's...yet, despite some public feelings in Poland, both sides leaders are advocates of getting over it and moving forward so to speak. Time for Natives to do the same.

Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast