Quantcast
Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada

My Ride
    AWOL

Look up what the Aussies did to the aboriginals down there. Genocide, taking away their kids, I don't think they were even considered "people" until the late 80s or 90s.

Edit: Just for comparison... not the best example as Australian attitudes are 20yrs+ behind the rest of the planet in most areas...

Originally posted by Grogador
    Look up what the Aussies did to the aboriginals down there. Genocide, taking away their kids, I don't think they were even considered "people" until the late 80s or 90s.

Edit: Just for comparison... not the best example as Australian attitudes are 20yrs+ behind the rest of the planet in most areas...
    Any of the Aussie's I've talked to don't consider them "people" now. I've heard some pretty horrible things said about the Aboriginal people over there by Aussies I've met over the years, far worse than most of the things said about our own Aboriginals. Doesn't make it right of course.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

This guy is such a racist! Lolz... j/k, it's a good read.

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, you are the same decaying matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile" - Fight Club

I've been #IdleTooLong about this whole topic, and I feel like I need to express my point of view without disrupting innocent travelers on highways, and cargo carrying freight trains. First, allow me to clarify that I am a Cree man with full status. I have family in positions of political power in this very province, and should declare that my opinions are my own. While everyone needles over the finite details of the current situation, I'd like to paint my thoughts for you with much broader strokes.

I'm so very proud of my culture. The way the plains Indians lived on this land was a fantastic example of community, art, respect for our environment, ingenuity, and spirituality. I'm proud of the native inspired tattoos that I sport permanently on my body. As a father, I'm teaching my son that same respect and understanding of where his blood derives from, in the hopes that his pride will outshine the prejudice he will inevitably experience growing up, or at some point in his life.

I'm also very proud to be Canadian. Our vast mosaic of cultures, languages, and beliefs make up this welcoming land of opportunity for all. Whether you like it or not, we all have the same citizenship, but some have a different view on the value of it.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the government bills, documentation, or policy that is driving the current protests, but I've intently watched news stories, read columns, and have regularly monitored the comments being made on facebook. Based on all of this, I feel the need to break my silence on this issue.

1 - It's embarrassing how the #IdleNoMore protest is being handled. Blocking major traffic thoroughfares does nothing good to bring support and awareness to your cause, it creates immediate animosity towards you. Protesting freely in parks or in front of government buildings seems like a much more productive way to attract the attention of those you seek. The politicians. Not the regular welder-Joe who's just trying to get to work. Hold him up and cost him money? See how much support you'll get out of that guy...

Clarify what you are protesting for, or against. I've never seen such a passionate group of people go forward in protest in such disarray, and without clearly stating what it's all about. If it's generally about your need to be consulted, respected, justified for being mistreated, or the preservation of your culture, then let's be out with it and start a constructive discussion.

Understand that you do not need to be consulted for anything any more than the Canadian citizen next to you does. Your opinion on things doesn't count "more" than anyone else's. Respect is earned, not given.

There's no question that the native people of yesterday were brutalized, hunted, tortured, and humiliated for decades. It's awful, and no one should ever have to suffer like that. The elders of the time signed those treaties to bring peace, and offer what they hoped would be a leg-up in a new world that they realized couldn't be held at bay. But those days are long over. It defies logic to have the current population pay for the tragedies committed by people that came so long before them.

The preservation of your culture is YOUR job, not anyone else's. For example, Polish, Irish, and Ukrainian societies thrive all over the country with very little or no support from government coffers. They celebrate traditional dance, language, and food all by simply passing it down from generation to generation. Native communities can do the very same thing (and generally do), but without financial support.

2 - "This movement is about the whole environment, its not just about the treaties....The bill that passed now un protects the rivers, lakes, forests, land, etc, etc, so we need this bill to further protect ur childrens futures.....thanks to Harper Govt....rigs n developemtn will pollute the air, waters, etc, etc.."

It's no secret that our Canadian economy is driven by the oil and gas industry. Yes, there have been some awful environmental blunders due to a plethora of different reasons. I heartily agree that we need to protect our natural areas that support wildlife, but I also know that there is aggressive legislation, and powerful government offices in place that already have that very same sentiment at heart. Millions of Canadians support green technology and research, as well as lobby for stronger federal policy. So if that's what this is all about, there's no need to blockade anything, as a majority of people would already agree with you.

3 - "It is about the 480 page Bill that the government has passed without you knowing about it. It went through the house of commons and the senate in 2 wks. 480 pgs long...do you think that many people had time to read it? It says that under age criminals can be punished as adults. It makes more budget cuts. The librarians at schools are being budget cut. It is about ALOT more than Aboriginals, it's about everyone in Canada. The Aboriginals are the ones who started to realize the Bill was gonna to do irreversable damage!"

Back in the days of copying notes off a blackboard or projector in school, I'm certain I've WRITTEN 480 pages in two weeks, let alone read that many. In a political world where literacy at a high level is demanded, I'm willing to bet that most could plow through that many pages in a very short period of time. I suppose the content would be laden with bureaucratic jargon and would need time to fully interpret...but that's why you have a legal team. Quite frankly, I agree with underage criminals being tried as adults, and I'm willing to bet that a landslide majority of Canadians will agree with me.

Budget cuts are a reality of our democratic world. I'm not sure if this means that librarians from schools are being removed, or the library itself, but the fact of the matter is, our schools rely on a healthy economy for funding. When money gets tight, things get sacrificed. I truly hope that the readily available knowledge in a library would be the last to go.

4 - "It's not about the Aboriginals! That is what they are doing to distract you from what it really is about! It only affects the aboriginals- just like it will effect ALL of us!" This is very confusing, but seems to sum up the general knowledge about what is going on. Who is "they"? Are we going into conspiracy theory depths here? Do people not realize that we have an official opposition in place as a natural government watchdog to debate everything that in-power government is trying to enact? If there were truly earth shattering implications in the bill in question, the opposition would be whistle blowing and bleating into any available microphone available so fast it would make your head spin.

First and foremost, I'm a human being just like you. I believe in equality. Across the board equality. Our country is so multicultural, that to give any specific group levity over everyone else is completely ridiculous. I'm not familiar with the particulars of old treaties signed, but I get the gist because I have used some of the special privileges provided to me. I do not pay for health care. I did for awhile in my young working life, but then the government discovered my native status and sent me a HUGE apology letter, and a cheque for every dime I had put into the system. Odd. I lived just up the street from my fellow truck driving friends, did the same job, paid the same taxes...yet there I was with this benefit because of my racial background and some papers that were signed all those years ago. I've used it for eye wear. This was particularly handy when I was “up against it” financially, but had broken my glasses welding. Here's the thing though, why should I have an advantage on a co-worker
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Continued.....

who might be in the same situation? It's not fair, and it needs to stop.

I move that Canadians start their own march towards coast to coast equality, or at least the serious discussion of it. Our country should offer no free rides to anyone. No help for those who refuse to help themselves. No quarter for those who would inhibit the lives and success of others. No limit to what anyone can accomplish with a steely resolve, and a great idea. It doesn't matter who built the first camp fires and communities on this land, it's those that work hard to continue to stoke the flames of collective well being that matter.

As a man that stands by his word, I pledge to never again use my native status to further myself in a way that isn't available to every other Canadian. I will leave my son unregistered, and will teach him the importance of keeping it that way. I am a proud native man, and a hard working, forward thinking Canadian that believes the opportunities and advantages this country has to offer should be available to everyone equally.

- Anthony Sowan @sowanonair
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Good points justgo. As far as the bill goes you are right. The is an opposition and a Democratic process to debate this bills. Its not perfect but its there. But idle no more seems to bitch about it while at the same time refusing to participate in the process like most Canadians. They think participating is standing on a highway. And most every Canadian does support environmental protections. Hell its even in my company's mission statement (I work for an energy company). The real debate is HOW to go about supporting the economy while protecting the environment. A "just say no to big oil" message is old, tired and helps nobody. But idle no more is kinda outta the loop I guess and just now discovered Greenpeace pamphlets from the 80s.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Social experiement from what I can gather. See if any action will be taken against the every-day-canadian vs "special treatment" for the natives, or perhaps to exaggerate the discrepancy in 'fairness' between canadians and aboriginals.

Or, to simply show the natives how frustrating it is to obstruct a major revenue of income.

Or, simply to voice how frustrating the situation is that a specific select group of citizens in this country gets better treatment and the rest are sick of it. I wish I didn't have to pay GST. I wish any job I'd get no taxes would be taken off, I wish I got government cheques for just being me, etc.

Originally posted by vengie

Pretty much the reasons 403gemini gave.

a) Social experiment to see if we would be treated differently than natives

b) Show them blocking a major revenue stream is not kosher

c) Tsuu Tina has held this city hostage on the ring road for far too long (Grey eagle was part of the deal to allow us to build the ring road)

There are several reasons really.
    As much as I detest what is happening right now and am completely in polar-opposite views of the Idle No More campaign, they at least have points which they want to broadcast, no matter how wrong they are. How they're doing this via blockades I'm not agreeing with either.

That said, a social experiment to observe any differential treatment from law enforcement? Ok that's fair, given you have a reason to be there other "protesting" saying we're wondering if we'll get treated differently or not. But really, that's not the point of this whole ordeal. This is the icing on the cake, not the meat and potatoes of the issues. And that would mean that there actually was differential treatment from law enforcement. And if anyone in law enforcement has something larger than a peanut between their ears, they'd see right through this "protest" and not intervene because it would lit up a shitstorm and the media would be jerking themselves silly. But I've heard of dumber shit so who knows, I'm not ruling it out as a "never gonna happen" scenario.

Block revenue stream. Conducting a social experiment is not a valid reason and is probably considered loitering if that's all it was.

"Or, simply to voice how frustrating the situation is that a specific select group of citizens in this country gets better treatment and the rest are sick of it. I wish I didn't have to pay GST. I wish any job I'd get no taxes would be taken off, I wish I got government cheques for just being me, etc."

This is good. What needs to be done is to get an entire list, a huge fucking list, of all the additional benefits that First Nations get over the common Canadian. Then list the benefits that are not in the treaties and the ones that are. Obtain any financial records regarding Alberta Reserves (if that's even fucking possible), how much money they get, where it goes, overall conditions of the reservations presently. THAT is what is good info, to have a protest about and say, look at all this shit, WTF do you have to say for yourselves! We know there is mismanagement of money, corruption, housing problems, schooling problems, substance abuse problems...but if you don't have the papers in your hand to prove it, there isn't much point. "I heard it on the internet" is fine and dandy to talk about on a medium such as this, but push come to shove, it doesn't mean shit at a protest when I'm willing to bet, dozens of native guys want to beat the shit out of you just for being there. That guy in the video was worried and I can't say I blame him. Had no cameras been there, he would have gotten gang-beat and ended up dead or in hospital. Cut and dry.

The more I talk about this issue, the more I want to get involved so don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting you guys here. But being a bunch of fucking hipsters going to protest, because it's a protest, is not a good enough reason for me to get out of bed. Having solid, reliable information at hand and then spreading the word, however, is. The worst thing I find about protests isn't that it can escalate into violence, it isn't that people get hurt or arrested. It's that some people protest with no complete understanding of the issues they're even protesting about (ex: 99% of the 99% dipshits). I'll try to get any info I can because I'm kind of getting fired up just typing this out haha.
    Ultracrepidarian

http://m.hqlloydminster.com/news/view/137359/1/
    I guess it's kinda a step in the right direction, need all prairies get on board.

Well said msommers , I do agree completely. The 'social experiment' aspect is a weak platform to ever meet up for, but boycotting inequality among the rest of Canada vs FN is in my opinion a good reason.

I'd be curious to see the SPECIFIC benefits they receive over us , the laws/charters that grant them these, so you can reference them immediately if ever questioned.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    There's never going to be a counter protest because most people in the world have shit do to. Jobs to go to, kids to look after, etc. It's all just a bunch of e-talk that isn't going to go anywhere. In two or three weeks this will all be old news and there will be general low level bitching & whining about something else.
    While thats true for 99% of the population (just look at how many of the NHL boycotters show up at the games) .... the 1% who actually mean what they say would be enough.

You dont need 100s of people, 10-12 people would suffice to block the road. I'm sure you could pull that off from Beyond and other members of social media.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 03-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by Matty_10
    http://m.hqlloydminster.com/news/view/137359/1/
    I guess it's kinda a step in the right direction, need all prairies get on board.
    I have mixed feelings about that -- I've worked with the FSIN's Resource Center for Excellence previously and they do good work there so I hope the government actually does continue to provide funding to projects that do show results, and are not just saying that as a platitude when really they mean they're going to cut funding in general.

(I believe the Resource Center for Excellence is now its own entity separate from the FSIN, however)
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I would be very interested in seeing how much all of the FN's benefits and perks (Non-Insured Health benefits, tuition breaks, housing on reserve, tax breaks.....) cost the average tax paying Canadian citizen.

I'm all for cutting these freeloaders off and forcing them integrate into society, let them keep their land but not a penny more. Fuck 300-400 year old treaties, they lost a war plain and simple.

Originally posted by SKR

If you're still fucking around making arrowheads out of stone, living in tents, and travelling everywhere on foot because you haven't figured out the wheel, maybe you deserve to have your shit taken from you. On one continent you have people like Michelangelo, Shakespeare and Galileo. On the other, you have a bunch of shitheads that haven't figured out a pair of pants, drawing shitty finger paintings of stick figures on a rock, praying every night to some dopey god that the fireball in the sky comes back. You fucked up. Sorry about your luck.
    Harsh but hilarious

Originally posted by FraserB
    Any police officer, regardless of rank, who refuses to enforce the legally enacted laws in an equal and colorblind way should be removed from the service. This can go for spineless politicians as well, it is not the mayor's, the police chief's or a patrol officer's job to decide which laws will or will not be enforced. They are there to enforce the law, the court system is there for people to plead their case.

My Ride
    2010 S4

https://www.facebook.com/events/477776928948584/

Big peace match on the 28 at 3pm coming down 9 ave and Macleod trail headed to Olympic plaza. Good luck to those trying to get out of the core on Monday.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by dubhead
    https://www.facebook.com/events/477776928948584/

Big peace match on the 28 at 3pm coming down 9 ave and Macleod trail headed to Olympic plaza. Good luck to those trying to get out of the core on Monday.

Anyone want to do a "Proud to be a hard working Canadian" peace march in the opposite direction?

I just want the two groups to collide together on a random street, then break into song and dance to Michael Jackson's "Beat It".
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd rather go down there, and hand out a peace offering of blankets....
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Tomaz

Anyone want to do a "Proud to be a hard working Canadian" peace march in the opposite direction?
    Sorry, no can do.

I'll be at work.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Damn you and your suburban office location!!
    You work like 3 blocks from me, we'll be fine getting out of the core. Unless you just want to go and watch the gong show.

I'll probably drive that day just so I don't have to sit on the train while these fools block the tracks.

Andit would be impossible for them to have a permit for this, you need to have a parade permit 90 days ahead of the scheduled event.
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast