Quantcast
Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Definitely wasnt calling you racist if that's how you interpreted my post. My bad. It seemed your one post was directed at the first nations protestors being able to break the law because their first nations. Its unfortunate in this case race will become a factor but overall the police lack the balls with any protest to uphold the law.

They need to start locking up all the protestors and union thugs that are doing anything illegal. Until there are repercussions the only ones who suffer are businesses.

I read cn rail will be shutting entire rail networks down due to the protests. Perhaps that's the wake up call for the rcmp and police to step in.

I'd be curious to hear from phil or rat on why protestors get so much room to do as they please.
    No worries, thanks for clarifying and I agree with all your points here.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Truth. There's more to this though, the real protest going on is on the actual unceded land that the feds and Coast don't have legal access to. And that's what started all this... it's grown into a general protest about how indigenous are treated not only by regular people but by our own government. I get why they're doing this... most people in this country still have no clue what or country has put them through... we just point and laugh at them for their addiction problems.
    The other variable that's playing a huge role are all the special interest groups using first nations for their own objectives or goals. I wouldnt doubt the vast majority of protestors at the blockades in bc are from far away reserves that have no interest in things.

I saw a post in a first nations group that was calling for first nations protestors to join them to have their voice heard. The group asking for first nations to protest were union activists who are anti Kenney anti ucp.

Nothing they were protesting is/was or ever will be related to first nations yet they want to use them for their own personal agendas. It's quite pathetic.

My Ride
    Audi

The other variable that's playing a huge role are all the special interest groups using first nations for their own objectives or goals. I wouldnt doubt the vast majority of protestors at the blockades in bc are from far away reserves that have no interest in things.

I saw a post in a first nations group that was calling for first nations protestors to join them to have their voice heard. The group asking for first nations to protest were union activists who are anti Kenney anti ucp.

Nothing they were protesting is/was or ever will be related to first nations yet they want to use them for their own personal agendas. It's quite pathetic.
    Bingo.

Is the protest in support of indigenous rights with a pipeline as the focal point, or is it against a pipeline with indigenous rights being weaponized for it?

I had a good discussion at lunch today with a colleague about it (she's very west coast anti pipeline). We both think that this isn't about indigenous rights. If this really is about indigenous rights, then we should expect protests about more serious issues (such as availability of basic services) regularly, and not just when there's something related to oil or gas. We will see I guess in the long run if more indigenous rights protests crop up for non o&g related matters.

On another note, the protests shut down 2 of the 4 primary ways to get to the west communities yesterday. It took me 45 minutes to get home instead of 20 minutes. #islandproblems

Or are the green tree huggers pushing the first nation spin for their own agenda? The vast majority of protestors don't give a damn about first nations at all. I'm sure most dont know anything about the first nations they claim to support. I'm sure most havent been on a reserve before.

But what they do know is they are the best chance at stopping a pipeline they dont like.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:59 AM.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Or are the green tree huggers pushing the first nation spin for their own agenda? The vast majority of protestors don't give a damn about first nations at all. I'm sure most dont know anything about the first nations they claim to support. I'm sure most havent been on a reserve before.

But what they do know is they are the best chance at stopping a pipeline they dont like.
    True as this all may be but what's in it for the hereditary chiefs against it??? You better believe that TC has flashed all the money they can at these people but they're sticking to their guns so to speak...I highly doubt these outside interests have more money than TC.

True as this all may be but what's in it for the hereditary chiefs against it??? You better believe that TC has flashed all the money they can at these people but they're sticking to their guns so to speak...I highly doubt these outside interests have more money than TC.
    Theres always self serving interests at play. I wont pretend to know alot about the hereditary system but from what I've read the vast majority of that nation support the pipeline. It's one small segment that claims to speak for everyone else that says they dont.

First nations politics makes my head hurt. Just look at the metis fiasco that's blowing up across canada as of late. The metis nation of Alberta, sask and ontario are breaking off from the main metis council. Meanwhile some settlements in Alberta are trying to say metis nation of Alberta doesnt speak on their behalf yet their actively the ones negotiating any issues with the govt of Alberta or govt of canada. This is going sideways for all the groups involved where everyone ends up losing in the end. Everyones pointing fingers at everyone else for the issues.

Theres no doubts there are special interests at play with the hereditary chiefs. Interestingly enough we only hear about the one small segment that's opposed to the pipeline then the vast majority of the reserve that's on board.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I agree with the one poster that said the protests in other parts of canada have exploded into protests on first nations rights as opposed to speaking against a pipeline.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

I absolutely believe there's supporters within the community, my only question is why aren't they speaking up, so far I've only seen the elected chiefs and 1 hereditary chief... where's the actual people supporting it? Without them the protestors are easily just dismissing it as only the corrupt chiefs approving all this, the ones the pocket all the money.

I read cn rail will be shutting entire rail networks down due to the protests. Perhaps that's the wake up call for the rcmp and police to step in.
    Yes we went 2 days without CN pulling cars in for Propane loading here in Ontario due to protest terrorism. Got some cars in today, but only a few.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    It wasnt about blocking the police, the RCMP might have originally charged him with disturbing the peace and then he refused to stop or give his name - which might have resulted in this charge.

The RCMP do have their hands tied in political horseshit - so the anti protesters were right when they said that the situation is a LOT more complicated for the RCMP.

What exactly is tying their hands other than fear of racial backlash? It is legal to stage a peaceful protest, but it is not legal to obstruct roadways and impede legal worksites. If someone is breaking the law, the RCMP have nothing stopping them from enforcing said laws.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Look at the payments from Coastal Gas Link to WET'SUWET'EN FIRST NATION

https://fnp-ppn.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/fn...q4D2ntqxB-d9x0
    https://fnp-ppn.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/fn...BKIUu3XeDi9xWc

From the comments
    In 2013, Pacific Trail Pipelines paid them $886,959.
    In 2014, Coastal Gaslink Pipelines paid them $504,259.
    In 2015, Coastal Gaslink Pipelines paid them $2,147,042 & Pacific Trail Pipelines paid them $757,439.
    In 2016, Coastal Gaslink Pipelines paid them $59,109 & Pacific Trail Pipelines paid them $33,560.
    In 2017, Coastal Gaslink Pipelines paid out $10,000.
    In 2018, Coastal Gaslink Pipelines paid out $13,000.
    LOL apparently there are 85 people who live on the reserve.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet%CA...n_First_Nation

The expenses here are pretty crazy:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  63.9 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    What exactly is tying their hands other than fear of racial backlash? It is legal to stage a peaceful protest, but it is not legal to obstruct roadways and impede legal worksites. If someone is breaking the law, the RCMP have nothing stopping them from enforcing said laws.
    In the RCMP world there is typically one source of problems for the average regular member (besides the repeat offenders) - white shirts.

The RCs on the ground you see there would love to be tossing the shit in the ditch as well, but they have their orders from these 'political officers'.

They run the political operation and they take their cues from the leader - who is more liberal that the turdman in Ottawa.
    Last edited by revelations; 02-11-2020 at 08:16 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I absolutely believe there's supporters within the community, my only question is why aren't they speaking up, so far I've only seen the elected chiefs and 1 hereditary chief... where's the actual people supporting it? Without them the protestors are easily just dismissing it as only the corrupt chiefs approving all this, the ones the pocket all the money.
    I'm actually surprised the CBC published this but it gives some insight to the other side of the protest.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...line-1.5459595
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    *The First*

I can't wait to tell the gubmint that I'm not paying my property taxes since I'm totes living on unceeded land and it's clearly not mine and could be rightfully reclaimed from me at any moment, as deemed by our PM's legally binding apologies.
    I'm pretty sure that'll stand up.

My Ride
    *The First*

Wait, what?! Sorry for being late catching up to speed on the latest edition of this fiasco. This latest batch is about the Coastal Gas Link pipeline between Dawson Creek, BC and Kitimat, BC carrying about the cleanest thing a pipeline will ever have in it a paltry 650km?
    So, how or why are we enabling protestors who are too lazy to drag their asses to anywhere near the construction site? What right do they have to paralyze cities or industries thousands of km away from the worksite?!

I feel like I'm talking crazy pills! We have special liaison cops trying to hand out ceremonial maple syrup while touching a mystical belt with people illegally blocking rail tracks in fucking Ontario about this??!¿!

No words... Who can I vote for who will put a stop to this complete insanity? Surely new Canadian immigrants have enough sense to refuse this vicarious guilt and hold people accountable for their actions today. How are our new Canadians who busted their ass to get here and continue to bust their ass all day, every day feeling about being held hostage by this?

not sure I see the connection on the immigrants... are they somehow affected by the blockades more then anyone else?

Im surprised so many arent as outraged at the unifor union thugs who have blockaded and shut down businesses across Alberta and Saskatchewan over the last few months.

My Ride
    *The First*

not sure I see the connection on the immigrants... are they somehow affected by the blockades more then anyone else?

Im surprised so many arent as outraged at the unifor union thugs who have blockaded and shut down businesses across Alberta and Saskatchewan over the last few months.
    Good question. In my opinion, my hands are clean from whatever alleged land settlement atrocities occurred whenever they occurred because my family "only" arrived in Canada about 100 years ago. But I am part of the fictional ethnic group called "White" and that makes the evils of people I have never been related to that occurred before my people ever got here mine by what some people call "vicarious guilt". That's complete horse shit but it doesn't matter because I apparently need to check my White Privilege or whatever term is forced upon me, this week.

There are much much newer Canadian immigrants than me and piles of them aren't "White". They should be immune from this Vicarious Guilt and they should stop tolerating it. Why should a family that left Hong Kong for Canada in 1998 be constantly expected to cater to an ethnic group that someone else treated poorly about 300 years ago?

Well your not alone in your lack of understanding on first nations issues nor are you alone thinking issues stem from things that happened 300 years ago. Residential schools were open until the 90s. You had babies being taken from first nations moms from the 50s till the 90s for no reason other then being born to an indian. Heck our govts refused to acknowledge metis rights until late 90s or early 2000s.

Even now the govt fights first nations issues at every corner. The settlement for taking babies from their mother was approved just a few years ago. Average settlement will be 25k. Meanwhile the rcmp class action over bullying and sexual harassment gets settled in significantly less time and pays out two to three times more for an issue that doesnt compare. Even now our govt is appealing a ruling on another first nation child welfare case because they dont want to pay but their gladly paying our the rcmp class action.

Theres some odd double standards happening with these cases that are somewhat recent in the last little while.

You can pretend our generations hands arent dirty or not at fault over issues you think happened 300 years ago but that's unfortunately not the case.

With that said race shouldnt be a factor in dealing with the protestors or the blockades. They should simply be arrested and dealt with for whatever law their breaking. Upholding the law seems to be an issue for our rcmp when it comes to any protest. The question is why? The lack of action will only encourage more protests and make things worst.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Even now the govt fights first nations issues at every corner. The settlement for taking babies from their mother was approved just a few years ago. Average settlement will be 25k. Meanwhile the rcmp class action over bullying and sexual harassment gets settled in significantly less time and pays out two to three times more for an issue that doesnt compare. Even now our govt is appealing a ruling on another first nation child welfare case because they dont want to pay but their gladly paying our the rcmp class action.

Theres some odd double standards happening with these cases that are somewhat recent in the last little while.
    To be completely fair, that ruling was made by the CHRT, not a court. Asking for judicial review by a real court of a ruling that demands up to $8 billion in compensation is probably a good idea, especially when the CHRT gave a ridiculous consultation deadline and it was right in middle of a writ period when no action could be taken by the government.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    To be completely fair, that ruling was made by the CHRT, not a court. Asking for judicial review by a real court of a ruling that demands up to $8 billion in compensation is probably a good idea, especially when the CHRT gave a ridiculous consultation deadline and it was right in middle of a writ period when no action could be taken by the government.
    I havent seen that number floated before but would assume it's based on the chrt findings going canada wide as I thought their ruling was just northern canada or the yukon. Interestingly as of yesterday a class action was just announced to take the chrt findings canada wide.

Regardless of that the rcmp class action got paid out significantly more and in less time then the 60s scoop that involved taking children away from their mothers. It's a good example of how first nations continue to be treated in recent times.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Didn’t they take those kids and put them in residential schools to teach them Christianity and give them the skills they needed to be successful in the fast developing western world?

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast