Quantcast
Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada - Page 36 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the lights are all on, the world is watching now
    People looking for truth, we must not fail them now
    Be sure, before we close our eyes
    Don't walk away from here
    'Til you hear both sides. Oh no.
    If Phil Collins was a race, I'd be racist.

FUCK. THAT. GUY.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post

The treaty rights mentioned establishes that whatever treaties Canada has entered into must be honored or renegotiated. Anything that Canada is providing for natives at the moment has been negotiated for. Many things are in a constant state of negotiation as honoring them would cripple Canada financially, but because of the Act cannot simply be ignored

There are other liabilities where lawsuits could be brought and potentially won due to abuse or incompetence from the Canadian government of which drinking water is one. Drinking water is typically under the control of the Provinces who have all enacted some sort of clean water rules, so if any non-native location had cow shit being poured into the water by farms, the province would step in and fix the issue. Native land is under federal jurisdiction and there is no hard and fast clean water rules at the federal level so they just shrug their shoulders and tell everyone to boil the water. Because the only people this hurts are natives, there is a legal case to be made that the lack of action is bordering on maliciousness.

Canada certainly isn't exceeding their commitments, and many legal scholars would argue that they aren't meeting them either, but that's not a settled fact until the court cases go through, which the government is trying very hard to not have to do.
    Well that is one completely biased way of looking at things. Never let the truth get in the way of a good narrative hey?

The entire basis of the treaties, is "We don't want white people or the Canadian Government fucking with our affairs, and want to maintain our way of life and customs of raping and pillaging the land". So the government says ok, here is some land to do whatever you please on, and a lump sum payment every year to manage your policing, schooling, water treatment, etc. The government goes so far beyond this that you would have to be drinking a hefty portion of Kool-Aid to think otherwise. If residents of a reserve are sick and tired of being screwed around by their corrupt leaders, they have every opportunity to seek out a better life through FN only scholarships, FN only business loans, FN affirmative action hiring policies, etc.

This is exactly why Harper tried to create transparency in FN finances. So people like you would have it in black and white exactly where the money is going. And reserve residents could also see in black and white A)How much money is actually being provided for their social services. And B)Where that money is being spent. They would have an opportunity to hold their leaders accountable and stop being controlled by the propaganda being spread from corrupt leaders.

Haha omg. Can I point you to the Indian act? This wasnt created by first nations. This was created by our govt to control every aspect of first nations lives.

Your understanding of the treaties and almost everything you say cant be further from the truth.

Harper forcing disclosure for reserves was a great step in accountability. At least we can agree there.

My Ride
    ute

Yes, that speaks to one of the advantages of desegregating for people toiling under the current segregated regime. FN are often run like monarchies/dictatorships/banana-republics.

But tolerating such absurdities is part of being woke in Canada right now.

My Ride
    Silverado

Harper didn't get to pass those reforms did he?

Also all this stuff about hereditary chiefs seems like bullshit. The only people who should speak for the tribe is the elected council.

Just a quick comment on all of this.
    I am Métis and can trace my lineage back to the early 1800’s in Alberta (and likely further, but have no need to)
    There is a town in northern Alberta founded by my great-great-great grandpa.
    I have learned and listened to all of the stories and experiences of my great grandpa and other families growing up in Alberta.

It sure as shit wasn’t easy.
    I have had access to numerous FN/Métis only scholarships, completed my post secondary education, and could have utilized another Métis only business grant when my wife and I started a business. Had the business been my only source of income they would have funded up to 60% of the business.

So yes, there are major resources FN and Métis individuals can utilize to better their lives, that other “white people” do not have access to. The key is, they need to want to utilize them.

Do I believe Canada should continue to pay in perpetuity to FN in Canada? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    These payments are creating a culture of entitlement and toxicity through all reserves. Continuing to pay out will only serve to further drive these communities into the ground.

At some point the FN communities need to understand they need to also help themselves in order to create prosperity. There is extremely deep rooted hatred for the “white man” in many of these communities, and rightfully so! But if you think continuing to hand out money will create forgiveness, I have some cases of blinker fluid to sell you.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I am Métis and can trace my lineage back to the early 1800’s in Alberta (and likely further, but have no need to)
    I have learned and listened to all of the stories and experiences of my great grandpa and other families growing up in Alberta.

I have had access to numerous FN/Métis only scholarships, completed my post secondary education, and could have utilized another Métis only business grant when my wife and I started a business. Had the business been my only source of income they would have funded up to 60% of the business.

So yes, there are major resources FN and Métis individuals can utilize to better their lives, that other “white people” do not have access to. The key is, they need to want to utilize them.

Do I believe Canada should continue to pay in perpetuity to FN in Canada? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    These payments are creating a culture of entitlement and toxicity through all reserves. Continuing to pay out will only serve to further drive these communities into the ground.

At some point the FN communities need to understand they need to also help themselves in order to create prosperity. There is extremely deep rooted hatred for the “white man” in many of these communities, and rightfully so! But if you think continuing to hand out money will create forgiveness, I have some cases of blinker fluid to sell you.
    +Rep.

So, so many excellent points, here.
    If you teach people that the world owes them a living, they will learn that, and who benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Haha omg. Can I point you to the Indian act? This wasnt created by first nations. This was created by our govt to control every aspect of first nations lives.

Your understanding of the treaties and almost everything you say cant be further from the truth.

Harper forcing disclosure for reserves was a great step in accountability. At least we can agree there.
    Well if you're so much more knowledgeable about these affairs than Indians, our government, our history books, and anyone else versed in the topic. By all means feel free to share your interpretation that does not match what is on record.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post

/end

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    reporters with arrest for "trespassing" on CP rail grounds, yet allow the protesters to stay and continue protesting. WTH is going on? Why are illegal actions allowed to happen with impunity, while joe blow and reporters get threats from L/E? Insanity. They better fix this quickly, or a breaking point may happen, with people taking matters into their own hands if L/E aren't allowed to do their jobs...(I suspect that the rank and file L/E officers would like nothing better than to enforce the law in this particular case, and that it's their white shirt leaders, the political yes men, that are standing in the way of that, ie no criticism of the L/E officers, just their orders).
    The obvious implication is that there is a LOT more going on up high. THAT is the real question - who the fuck is running this ship thats called Canada?

They are the ones issuing arrest orders to those to are NOT professional protesters.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Rex Murphy wrote a great article on the protesters. A bit ranty but justifiable imo.

Environmentalists think they are a group apart. If 10 plumbers shut down a railway, or if loggers shut down the B.C. legislature, or if oil workers decided to “shut down Canada,” the RCMP and every security force in the nation would round them up, clap on the handcuffs and stow them away in a cell in a jiffy. But a few native bands, and the always available professional protesters who we have seen active since the days of the Seattle riots, decide to ride on the oil issue, and everyone in authority stands aside mute and fearful.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nationa...-in-action/amp
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V8s

gwill seems just smart enough to log on here and string together words into a sentence... but not smart enough to successfully perform things like critical thought.

Like his brain is in that sweet spot where he's not mentally handicapped, but definitely IQ<100.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    The obvious implication is that there is a LOT more going on up high. THAT is the real question - who the fuck is running this ship thats called Canada?

They are the ones issuing arrest orders to those to are NOT professional protesters.
    I'm trying to figure this out right now. You have Trudeau blaming the RCMP. But you have the RCMP saying their hands are tied. So WTF is going on? Who is steering the ship here? I saw a video of some guys covering their faces, removing protestor garbage from a highway. Not assaulting anyone, or breaking anything, just moving it to the side of the road. RCMP walk up and arrest the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    +Rep.

So, so many excellent points, here.
    If you teach people that the world owes them a living, they will learn that, and who benefits?
    Ditto.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well one thing is for sure... more pipelines, less product shipped via rail

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Harper didn't get to pass those reforms did he?

Also all this stuff about hereditary chiefs seems like bullshit. The only people who should speak for the tribe is the elected council.
    All reserves have to report their finances now. I haven't paid attention to it in a while but compliance was quite high at the time. I think there were only a handful of reserves refusing to follow the requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Well if you're so much more knowledgeable about these affairs than Indians, our government, our history books, and anyone else versed in the topic. By all means feel free to share your interpretation that does not match what is on record.
    Your interpretation started with why are we paying for the sins from 300 years ago, to first nations went to residential schools for their own benefit and now you claim the treaties were signed by first nations so the govt wouldnt mess with their affairs.

I can understand the point of views from those who say rip up the treaties and I can understand some are just plain ignorant or dont care but you take a tiny bit of knowledge you may have heard somewhere and speak about it as tho it's TRUE. Can you just admit your not well versed in first nations history? Its okay... most canadians arent.

My Ride
    Silverado

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I'm trying to figure this out right now. You have Trudeau blaming the RCMP. But you have the RCMP saying their hands are tied. So WTF is going on? Who is steering the ship here? I saw a video of some guys covering their faces, removing protestor garbage from a highway. Not assaulting anyone, or breaking anything, just moving it to the side of the road. RCMP walk up and arrest the guy.
    Exactly - here we are discussing the Indian Act (another topic) when in fact we should be discussing who ordered the RCMP to stand down? And Trudeau saying things in public =/= things in private.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Exactly - here we are discussing the Indian Act (another topic) when in fact we should be discussing who ordered the RCMP to stand down? And Trudeau saying things in public =/= things in private.
    Trudeau is finally coming back to deal with the protestors but our govt is already on record saying they wont ask the rcmp to do anything. I'm not sure what their going to do to "pressure" the protestors to stand down if they wont get the police involved.

On a side note I saw an article from quebec that quoted a first nations chief as saying the blockades should be brought down. Hes concerned their doing more harm to all theyve worked towards. More importantly he questions if the first nations in bc even wanted them running the blockades out there.

How many lay offs and economic impact are needed before the rcmp get involved??

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Not that I was a big supporter of the whole "United We Roll" protest, but it's interesting how differently the police and RCMP treated them despite them protesting with all the necessary permits and notices (as far as I'm aware) compared to a bunch of legitimately illegal blockades.

The lefties are definitely driving the school bus now and it's headed for a cliff...

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast