Quantcast
Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada - Page 31 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    your so far off in left field with your vision of residential schools. You remind me of senator beyak who's tried to spin residential schools were somehow a benefit. They were forced upon first nations. It wasnt a choice. Nor was the abuse, rape or murder.

i agree in hind sight its really easy to see the racism that existed back in the day was 10000 x worst then it was today yet somehow people still spin residential schools or the abuses that happened into something that was beneficial. It wasnt.

In case people ever second guess first nations issues we can use some of these posts to see how far canada still has to go on educating people on the history.

I don't know if you're purposely trolling? Or just genuinely ignorant yourself? What is so difficult about understanding the difference between intentions and how that played out in reality? The intentions were obviously noble in some sense to begin with, otherwise the band leaders would not have agreed to it(thanks for the neg rep on that fact btw lol). The bleeding hearts like to jump on this wagon that the entire thing was pure racism from the begging, but they seem to forget that the original colonizers, had they been as racist as people make them out to be, could've easily just ethnically cleansed this country from the get go. You're trying to paint a picture that our ancestors were so racist that death to the Indians was not good enough. We wanted to see them live and suffer, even if it was at great expense to ourselves. That's an extreme level of hate that is hard to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I don't know if you're purposely trolling? Or just genuinely ignorant yourself? What is so difficult about understanding the difference between intentions and how that played out in reality? The intentions were obviously noble in some sense to begin with, otherwise the band leaders would not have agreed to it(thanks for the neg rep on that fact btw lol). The bleeding hearts like to jump on this wagon that the entire thing was pure racism from the begging, but they seem to forget that the original colonizers, had they been as racist as people make them out to be, could've easily just ethnically cleansed this country from the get go. You're trying to paint a picture that our ancestors were so racist that death to the Indians was not good enough. We wanted to see them live and suffer, even if it was at great expense to ourselves. That's an extreme level of hate that is hard to fathom.
    Must be nice being so naive.

@Misterman the very basics of the indian act and all the govt did in the early years wasnt noble in anyway. The goal of the indian act was to control first nations in every way possible. The hope was to eradicate or assimilate them into canadians.

I'm sorry your little bit of knowledge on first nations issues starts with the govt being noble, kind and generous. That's not backed by facts.

Do you think they took first nation babies from their moms for the greater good? Why do you think reserves were created? Have you read the indian act?

BC is interesting. All the white colonial racist rich families ended up in Victoria, took political power and promptly decided to fuck over all the natives. There's a reason why the city is so fucking stuffy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  Screenshot_20200213-180256.png
Views: 492
Size:  275.3 KB
    Awww hell now Quebec mad.

“It’s up to Justin Trudeau to solve the problem,” Legault said Thursday. “It does not concern Quebec, it does not concern Ontario, it concerns the federal government. It’s up to them to find the solution.”

His concerns were echoed by Greg Rickford, Ontario’s Indigenous affairs minister, who issued a statement saying, “This is a national issue affecting all of Canada. It is imperative that the federal government take a more proactive role.”
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-13-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20200213-180256.png
Views: 492
Size:  275.3 KB
    Awww hell now Quebec mad.
    No propane for you!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    No propane for you!
    Or accessories
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

bc has already passed legislation to make sure they can enter their legislature building. Meanwhile protestors are more then welcome to shut down rail roads, highways or bridges with no repercussion just stay away from their legislature.

@Misterman the very basics of the indian act and all the govt did in the early years wasnt noble in anyway. The goal of the indian act was to control first nations in every way possible. The hope was to eradicate or assimilate them into canadians.

I'm sorry your little bit of knowledge on first nations issues starts with the govt being noble, kind and generous. That's not backed by facts.

Do you think they took first nation babies from their moms for the greater good? Why do you think reserves were created? Have you read the indian act?
    Well it sounds like you've made some assumptions about peoples mindsets from 100 years ago that you are unwillingly to even consider for a second there might be more to it than your bubble infers. So good chat, but not worth continuing.

As for the topic at hand, I hope some of these companies put some pressure on the government to get them to start enforcing the law and removing these protestors.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I will place myself in the ignorant/naive category on this topic. With that being said, how does the arrangement in Canada with our First Nations relate to other countries around the world? For example, how do we compare to the US and their First Nations? Australia and their Aboriginals? How about the arrangement between Germany and the people (jews)/countries they impacted during WW2, can we draw any comparisons from anything Germany may have done for reparations? What is Russia doing for the people of Crimea when they annexed that territory? Are there any examples that could be compared across the world where the situation was handled differently? More successful then Canada's arrangement? Less successful then Canada's arrangement?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I am curious about this too. I have a feeling we are the only nation continuously paying for something like this. I feel it's BS

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    I am curious about this too. I have a feeling we are the only nation continuously paying for something like this. I feel it's BS
    This comes up a lot on discussions like this. Same with an earlier poster that said we should tear up the indian act. Canada was formed and was allowed to thrive thanks to the many treaties signed with first nations but now that theres an uncomfortable history involved everyone tries to ignore it or pretend it didnt happen or it wasnt that bad. Everyones always got an excuse why we arent responsible for anything.

If people showed a bit of empathy and the willingness to understand first nations issues/history you'd be amazed at what that would do.

Instead the answer almost always comes back to tear up the treaties and put an end to it all. That's the cop out people use instead of addressing and understanding the issues.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

This comes up a lot on discussions like this. Same with an earlier poster that said we should tear up the indian act. Canada was formed and was allowed to thrive thanks to the many treaties signed with first nations but now that theres an uncomfortable history involved everyone tries to ignore it or pretend it didnt happen or it wasnt that bad. Everyones always got an excuse why we arent responsible for anything.

If people showed a bit of empathy and the willingness to understand first nations issues/history you'd be amazed at what that would do.

Instead the answer almost always comes back to tear up the treaties and put an end to it all. That's the cop out people use instead of addressing and understanding the issues.
    Agreed.

Personally I'm tired of the relentless racism. I would like to learn about FN culture and history and would like to see them take it back before it's lost. There are tons of systemic issues both within their communities/governments, and outside of them but some bands are making progress both socially and economically and it's beginning to shift. Be part of the solution instead of continuing the problem.

I'm honestly not even sure how to do that. For starters I just try to shift some of the mindsets that were ingrained in me growing up in Northeast Saskatchewan. I also choose to do business on Urban Reserves where possible, it's a drop in a bucket but supporting economic independence has to start somewhere.

It's too bad the First Nations are being used as pawns yet again in this bullshit, it's just setting them back. Hopefully there will be more leaders who aren't afraid to stand up and take a stand against what's going on. There are ways to accomodate everyone for the good of the majority, hopefully some true leaders emerge on both "sides". Right now there's no one.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Tear up the treaties, cut the funding and stop subsidising open concentration camps known as the reserves. The natives can either integrate with the rest of society or stay where they are without the government money blanket. If the FN are getting payments generations after generations then I want my pensions to transfer to my kids and grand kids, it's only fair.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Everyones always got an excuse why we arent responsible for anything.
    Words to live by
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

See I think we should just write the big checks, tear up the Indian act, and ensure we have only one set of rules and classes for all citizens of this country regardless of race or where their great grandparents were born.

Because whatever the fuck it is we are currently doing is broken and making our country the circus of the world.

The perpetuity of ridiculousness needs to end.
    What dollar amount would you say would be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Tear up the treaties, cut the funding and stop subsidising open concentration camps known as the reserves. The natives can either integrate with the rest of society or stay where they are without the government money blanket. If the FN are getting payments generations after generations then I want my pensions to transfer to my kids and grand kids, it's only fair.
    You compare a reserve to a concentration camp and in the same post demand equality for your kids?

What kind of monthly payment do you think the average FN gets that you think your kids should get when you pass away?

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    If we tear up the treaties, would the natives not get back all of the land they gave up? I don't think that would work out very well for the non-natives in Canada.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Agreed.

Personally I'm tired of the relentless racism. I would like to learn about FN culture and history and would like to see them take it back before it's lost.
    I am not sure why CBC hasn't done more documentaries about traditions and historical ways of living/survival with First Nations. If the money is going to be pissed away on broadcasting, it may as well try to achieve something positive for Canada (even if the racist/hateful wouldn't watch - it would at least show the country is interested in native issues and be interesting for those of us who want to understand - not to mention help preserve the history which is certainly being lost through the generations).

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Born and bred Canadian here...I honestly never knew or even thought about what FN people have gone through in this country, we were never taught any of this in school. The British made damn sure that it was presented as rosy as possible.

My wife in the past 2 years has taken Indigenous Studies courses and I've learned a lot, but obviously there's a lot to learn. She told me that forced sterilization still exists today, I didn't believe her so I googled it. There are so many fucked up things that has happened to them. The saddest is all the children's bodies being dug up around residential schools, the last one didn't even close until the 2000s.

Giving money to them isn't a solution because they have a problem with corrupt chiefs. My wife has heard firsthand from indigenous people at school that the money isn't handed out fairly. Friends and family of chiefs get $50,000 while others get $50... not a Harper fan but he was right, first thing we need to do is audit the reserves to find out where all the money is going and if it comes down to it, administer it ourselves. But then we also need to give support to those coping with their trauma with addictions. It's all a giant mess.... on top of all this, like others have mentioned, anti pipeline people are using them to further their own agendas.

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 41 ... LastLast