Quantcast
NHLPA reaches tentative deal - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NHLPA reaches tentative deal

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 03-24-2013 at 10:07 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    I wasn't really following the lock out. Who won, the millionaires or the billionaires?
    Depends.

There aren't many billionaire owners in the league, and the ones who are own the teams that didn't want the lockout (the Canadian teams, NE U.S. teams). Appropriately enough, the teams with the richest owners are the ones that make the most money so they liked any system that gave them an edge on their poor counterparts. Also take into account that several of the teams want and need the NHL to keep their overall business structure alive (the Jets) or are owned by Bell and Rogers and so desperately want games on TV (the Leafs).

The teams that were struggling (who also don't have billionaire owners) needed the lockout. They needed better revenue sharing, they needed a lower cap floor and they needed a way to stay competitive without having to commit the same kind of money the rich guys could*. Being saved from themselves is pretty much what the lockout was for the NHL side of things. Too many teams are losing money despite increased revenues. The 7/8 year contract limit will help keep GMs sane and level out the playing field a bit more, especially with the salary structure changes (no year can change more than 35% from the previous year, the lowest year can't be less than 50% of the highest) so no Kovalchuk type contracts anymore.

The players won in the sense that they 'beat' the owners on a few "hills" like the contract length (8 instead of 5) and different waiver rules and buyout rules and other things that irked them. They got a better pension which goes towards their 'this isn't just for us, this is for all players past and present' type stand and they get to play hockey again. They got their "make whole" provision to the tune of $300M so they're getting most of what was promised to them before the last CBA expired. Plus, a lot of players had contracts stuctured that paid them before the lockout started and the rest would come later in the season in case something like this happened. Not that many players actually lost a lot of money.

So like most fights between millionaires and billionaires, it was win-win.

*While everybody can only spend to the cap, that doesn't take away the year to year finances of teams. The way contracts are structured were a huge problem in the last CBA. The front loaded contracts didn't just help teams get around the cap, they also helped certain teams price out other teams by REALLY front-loading them. Zach Parise and Ryan Suter didn't really lose much in this lockout as their first contract payments ($10M each I believe) came all at once before the lockout and before any games were played (so before any cashflow). The first few years of their deals are structured with huge up front, bulk payments (as was Shea Weber's offer sheet) because the poor teams have a hard time matching that sort of offer. It's one thing to be worth money, it's another to be able to spend $20M all at once if you're already in the red and you aren't bringing in any money yet.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

dont care about the NHL .... good riddance.

I lost interest after the last lock out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just like before this lockout, I'll probably go the games if anyone offers me tickets. Only change to my routine will be that I'll get roaring drunk and ignore the on-ice product even more than usual. Take that NHL!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by kertejud2
    <snip>
    Great post.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

I'm glad the beer lines will be shorter with all these people really sticking it to the NHL and not going to watch haha

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by Dave P
    I'm glad the beer lines will be shorter with all these people really sticking it to the NHL and not going to watch haha
    Yeah, my hope is that now I can make it to the pisser, grab a couple beers, and be back in my seat before the end of an intermission. Dreaming big!

Originally posted by Dave P
    A glass half full type of guy!

Maybe your right, the more piss poor draft beers I throw down the less I'll remember how expensive those piss poor beers were, and how piss poor the product on the ice is!
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 01-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Darell_n
    I love the fact that the players get a pension plan. I don't see any retired pro hockey players getting meals from the food bank.
    You should watch this show if you think these guys retire with millions in the bank.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=broke

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I'm not watching any games until the playoffs start. Except for the battle of Alberta.

Fuck the NHL lol.
    Vettel's #1

I'll go to pubs and watch games to support local businesses, as for actively going out and purchasing tickets to a Flames game? Nope, not any time soon.

Boo hoo, you get paid millions to stay in peak physical shape (which the rest of us have to pay a gym membership for like suckers and dedicate our personal time to do...) and you play a game... Iginla makes something like $6,000 for 45 seconds of work. Wouldn't that be nice?

Bunch of cry babies as far as I'm concerned.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

As much as we all would like to "stick it to the NHL/NHLPA" we all know we will revert to whatever viewing habits we had before this lock out within a month or two.

Don't kid yourself.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    I'll go to pubs and watch games to support local businesses, as for actively going out and purchasing tickets to a Flames game? Nope, not any time soon.
    I doubt that matters. Most tickets are sold already (season tickets), and last time I checked, there were very little season ticket cancellations because of the lockout, no more than usual. Those tickets were snapped up by people on the hothouse list.

I was hoping for more cancellations to move down a few rows haha. I'm definately not a "boycott NHL" bandwagoner, and looking forward to watching NHL caliber hockey again. Been pretty desperate for sports since F1 season ended, even went to a Blazers game last month in Kamloops haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by dj_patm
    As much as we all would like to &quot;stick it to the NHL/NHLPA&quot; we all know we will revert to whatever viewing habits we had before this lock out within a month or two.

Don't kid yourself.
    Fuck that, I am already back to it.

Wore my Flames Jersey and hat to work today.

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

That's great to hear, I'm out till next season. I know I won't get much love here as a canucks fan, but I don't think I've missed more than 10 games in the last 3 years, just to show that I'm not some wishy washy fan that doesn't care.

I will follow what's happening with the league and my team, I might even watch the highlight packages, but I will absolutely not give them that +1 for tv viewing ratings, I will not go to a single game, and I will absolutely not buy any merchandise until training camp next year.

Fuck the greedy lot of them, I love my team and love watching hockey, but all the bullshit around the lockout made me bitter enough to opt out for the season. If there's one thing I'm good at doing, it's holding a grudge.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

I am most interested in playoff hockey, so I'm happy they will be happening sooner haha. Other than that I don't really care, I'm just happy to have the option to watch NHL again.

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

I can't wait to watch a game at joyce.

The lockout allowed me to focus on the NFL, NBA and NCAA. I actually would like to see a shortened NHL schedule anyway. Too many games are meaningless and really grind down the player talent. Even with a mini schedule the Flames are going to be same as they ever were... awful, but I will still watch them and attend a few games here and in Arizona.

Looking forward to the "welcome" Bettman will get in LA at the Stanley Cup presentation. What is the largest egg I can buy?
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-07-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Only thing I'm interested in is seeing the Canucks get sewered by Lulu's contract.

Not going to any games, even free tickets...unless my buddy cracks an NHL line up again.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Looking forward to the &quot;welcome&quot; Bettman will get in LA at the Stanley Cup presentation. What is the largest egg I can buy?
    Ostrich egg. Should do the trick. lol

I have never been a fan of sports, but I would watch a game here and there, or take dates out to a game. After seeing these immature squabbles twice now, I just lost all respect for the players and the owners. If I do go for a hockey game, it will be WHL. Much better game anyway.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast