Quantcast
Advice? - Builders lien by sub for garage built by Shaw Renovation & Construction - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Advice? - Builders lien by sub for garage built by Shaw Renovation & Construction

My Ride
    '72 Volvo 1800E / '11 Escape

Reviving this one just to give the final ending

Got summoned to court as witness for the sub-contractor (Ultimate Finished Concrete Services) last week against Shaw Renovations.

Basically my involvement was just to state that the sub poured my pad, I didn't have any issues with it and that the sub didn't do any of the form work.

But my god the rest was awesome, the sub had the *homeowner* of the property that had been "done wrong" testifying for him! I finally got to learn this really did all boil down to some stairs and sidewalk that the homeowner had wanted with an exposed finished. The sub had never been told that so gave it the normal broom finish. Then instead of owning up to the mistake Shaw tried to make the sub redo the work for free by stating it had marks and knicks and footprints and things in it. Then the homeowner said that wasn't true and out came the pictures showing the original work in perfect broom condition, no footprints or nothin' and then the "fixed" work pictures, which I'll admit looked very nice but wasn't the point being contested, the judge used the phrase "apples to oranges"

It was over from the start from what I saw, basically "I don't want to pay him" versus 3 witnesses, mounds of paperwork and a bunch of photos. Shaw had also counter-sued for "fixing" the work for twice the amount the sub had been suing for the three properties he hadn't been paid (I assume to get him to drop the original suit). Not only did the sub get awarded the outstanding money he was owed but an additional 5% of that amount PLUS 5% of the dismissed counter-suit amount.

Icing on the cake was Shaw walking out of the court, storming past me and walking up to the homeowner telling her 6 inches from her face "Of course you know not to call me for any warranty work" and then striding off. I was gobsmacked at his douchery but she was all "pff, like hell I'd call you". Then I pointed out I was fairly sure all of us were well past our 1 year warranty period .

So that's it, I bet it'll still take another year and two more court orders before the guy forks over the money to the concrete guy, but I'm impressed he really did stick with it and take Shaw to court to get the money he was owed, think most subs woulda just moved on and let Shaw pocket the money.. I mean hell, it took two years to go to court!
    Last edited by malbadon; 01-16-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    2006 Edmonton Indy - Heatstroke
    2007 Vegas Grand Prix - Fremont awesomeness
    2010 Montreal Grand Prix - Section 11!
    2011 Edmonton Indy - Mudfest
    2012 Nascar Autoclub 400 - Convinced I attract rain....
    2016 Spa & Monza. Ya baby!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

That's great. I've wired a few garages for and builder and it was the worst experience. He just wouldn't let me do things the proper way, cutting corners all the time. I feel sorry for people that bring these guys into their homes.

what a nightmare, glad to hear everything is cleared up !

That's good news. There is always two sides to a story and I guess he didn't want you to talk to the sub because you would find out who the real crook was.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

It's ridiculous that the owner acts like that and is still in business.
    Vettel's #1

Awesome justice. Glad everything worked out!

Going through a nightmare like this myself right now. Fucking shady builders.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Going through a nightmare like this myself right now. Fucking shady builders.
    you gonna post a thread?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3