Quantcast
The joys of Kijiji - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The joys of Kijiji

My Ride
    '98 Camry

I am all about boxes.

I love opening a nice, tightly sealed box!

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I keep the boxes for my collectible items (statuettes, etc) as there is a DEFINITE resale value bump if you keep the original box (even though they are removed from the boxes and displayed in glass cases).

For other things, I keep the box only as long as the warranty is valid, then on day 91/366/721 etc, the box is tossed.
    Geek

It's simply a qualitative metric or marker, one of many that may allow a potential buyer to evaluate a purchase based on his qualifying factors.

If I wished to purchase a Rolex, but only had $2500, potential opportunities would likely have lower condition and unit completeness markers. If I was willing to accept a well worn piece without the original box, hang-tag, and papers, then my goal might be achieved. If however, I was unwilling to accept those terms, then I would have to either abandon the objective, expand the budget, offer a partial trade, find a motivated seller, etc.

Mitsu has covered the additional points.

The point is simple, if you wish to maximize your return, then keep the original packaging and accessories.
    Last edited by Str1der; 03-07-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    I'd vote for him. America may have a black guy, but we'd have captain fucking Kirk.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If there were two lenses side by each in exact condition, one without a box for $980 and one with a box for $1000, which would you choose?
    Ultracrepidarian

It depends on the my requirements, the specific lens, the specific condition, and my budget. If I had an absolute requirement for such a lens, an absolutely firm $980 budget, and the seller had a firm $1000 sale price, then you can figure out which lens I would purchase. It could go a couple ways though - I could negotiate down on the lens without a box and accept no box as a price concession and expected future value, or I could negotiate down on the lens with the box and hope that seller subscribed to your mindset. Either way it's a negotiation, it's just that one of them may not have all of the qualitative checkmarks for my requirements.
    Last edited by Str1der; 03-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    I'd vote for him. America may have a black guy, but we'd have captain fucking Kirk.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I thought I was asking a black and white question but apparently not.

So I'll make it easier (well kinda). A lens around $1000 used hmmm....ok.

You're needing a wide angle, so you've decided the one you want is the Nikkor 16-35mm f/4. You find two on Kijiji and magically(!), the sellers are willing to meet same place and time so you can compare them.

1) Requirement: you need the wide angle for work
    2) Lens: You've decided on the lens...
    3) Condition: Exactly the same...
    4) Budget: $1000
    5) Sellers: Firm on their price...

(A) w/ box @$1000, (B) w/o box @$980.

Standing in the coffee shop, you would honestly pick (A)? Well, that's pretty respectable to stand by your word and I'll consider it for the future.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I like boxes because they're an indication the item isn't stolen. But if the seller still has the paperwork to go with it, doesn't matter to me.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

With everything being equal, the one with original box and paper will sell easier, that's pretty cut and dry. More value? That depends on the item. However, a perfect box will not save the value of a dinged up item.

I just found it odd that he would offer two prices. It's not like you intend to keep the box for whatever reason. Oh you offer more money for the box? Ok I'll sell the box too but I don't have the box!

Just offer the price for the condition as is, plain and simple. Don't like what you see, don't offer to buy.

I would take "A" because for $20 more on $1000 I would make the assumption that lens has had an easier life, even though the two lenses might have cleaned up the same.

Also, when I go to sell it later, I can advertise it with box & accessories, which if there is any competition in the for sale market might give me an edge.

I remember I went to look at a used Legacy GT once. It had only 20,000 KM (it was 4 years old!) on it but had NEVER and I mean NEVER been cleaned. Not the interior, not the engine bay, nothing. If you cleaned it up, it would probably look the same as one that was meticulously cared for, but which would you rather own? I may have actually bought that car if the guy had paid for a detail before he showed it, and I probably wouldn't have known any better. 9/10 times when I show up to look at at car advertised "mint" or whatever, and the guy lives in a nice neighborhood, has a spotless garage, nice property, etc. the car is actually mint. Anal people just seem to take better care of their stuff haha, which is all I'm going on.

The other thing to consider is perception. When selling something, it doesn't matter what you think, it only matters what the buyer thinks, even if it's completely irrational or illogical. For example, the Nikon 105 VR is now made in China instead of Japan. Same lens? Yup. Same quality standards? Yup. Guess which one is worth more on the used market? Most people would take something Made in Japan over China all else being equal, even if the product was literally identical. Someone who keeps the box/accessories is generally perceived to be more meticulous, at least IMO.

I understand a lot of assumptions are being made, but I'll take anything I can to make me feel better about a used purchase with so many dishonest people out there. Obviously this has nothing to do with you personally Matt haha, I just mean in general.

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    haha...

love the ones that emphasize... "I have CASH in hand!"

or "I can only afford $$$".... to which i reply, "sucks to be you."
    I always laugh at that one and when someone is selling some crappy item for like $30 and then they put at the end of their ad "serious inquires only" lmao It's $30 who can take that seriously.

As for a box, I don't really care as long as the item is in good condition. If it's a collectors item then a box is a must. I think there's too many people watching "Pawn Stars" lol
    Last edited by Moonracer; 03-07-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Yes, under identical circumstances, I would take the lens with the box for an extra $20. However, it all depends on circumstances - back in winter 2010, I desperately wanted a D700 body, but I only had ~$1500 available to spend. Out of sheer luck, a D700 came up on Craigslist Calgary. The body was described as well used, without box or papers, and 135k actuations, for $1500. I can assure you that at that point there was zero concern about box and papers and I picked it up within the hour from a well established FM member.

Just for laughs: Show me your box!

My Ride
    ATS4

I buy sell constantly. It's a weird hobby.

Receive and make tons of lowballs, not sure why people take it so seriously.

If I get 40 lowballs for an ad, that is good. It means lots of people are seeing the ad.

For cams, unless its good Canon, Nikon or exotic glass resale is low. People that ask 90% of retail for kit glass deserve low balls IMO.

Box for lens is weird though. Box for apple stuff I would keep, because its pretty.
    nanu nanu!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3