Quantcast
Clothing donations - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clothing donations

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by thrasher22

Who cares if Goodwill sells the clothes? The only reason the majority of these organizations want clothing donations is to sell them to raise money. The less fortunate don't need our designer jeans, they need well funded charities. It's a win-win!

If it makes you feel better, the quality of new clothes sold in Africa is abysmal, so in the end this still helps the poorest of the poor get higher quality clothes.
    They're just in giant piles at open air markets and usually sold for <$1 anyways.

But back on topic, there is (or was last year) a Goodwill donation bin beside Parkdale Auto on Memorial drive. That's usually where I drop all of mine off.
    1. Most people are not aware the clothes are sold.

2. Charities make very little profit off this. I know a South Africa guy who used to be a broker for this stuff (wealthy white South African). The business oriented middle-men make the big profits, not the charities and not the street vendors.

3. Besides all that, cheap / free clothing hurts the African textile industry. How is the African textile industry ever going to be able to grow and compete with clothes available for less than cost?

My Ride
    Acura TSX

I donate to the Alberta Association for Community Living. They have drivers who are willing to pick up the donations. I'm not sure if they go directly to people in need though. I'm sure you can call and ask. http://www.aacl.org/get-involved/don...usehold-goods/

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Originally posted by davidI

1. Most people are not aware the clothes are sold.

2. Charities make very little profit off this. I know a South Africa guy who used to be a broker for this stuff (wealthy white South African). The business oriented middle-men make the big profits, not the charities and not the street vendors.

3. Besides all that, cheap / free clothing hurts the African textile industry. How is the African textile industry ever going to be able to grow and compete with clothes available for less than cost?
    1. True, that is a very valid point of concern.

2. I meant moreso selling at Goodwill stores in Canada in this regard. I don't know the actual dynamics of how it works going overseas, and shouldn't have assumed.

3. I got the impression most comes from Asia, but I think its less of a competition issue, more of a "what people can actually afford" issue. You can make as many $2 pairs of jeans as you want, but if people only have $1...

My Ride
    03 Pathfinder

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    The Drop In Centre or The Mustard Seed take any clothes, any time. You can go to the Drop In pretty much 24 hrs a day to drop stuff off.

Just did this a few weeks ago. Goes straight to the source. Very grateful for the donations.
    I'm amused by the simplicity of this game. Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.

Have you call Brenda's House? Its transitional housing for women and families.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by thrasher22

3. I got the impression most comes from Asia, but I think its less of a competition issue, more of a "what people can actually afford" issue. You can make as many $2 pairs of jeans as you want, but if people only have $1...
    Yes, clothing comes from Asia. I'm not aware of any charitable donation clothes going to Asia (at least not developing Asia where they have a textile industry...maybe Burma??). My point is that if free clothing is sent to Africa then there is no incentive (i.e. money) for a textile industry to develop. That hurts the farmers, seamstresses, designers etc.

I have no problem with donations being given out in North America though, since free stuff will not be putting farmers and businesses out of work.

I'm just saying, giving away free clothes can do more harm than good. It's worth looking into what actually happens with your donation before blindly dropping them into a bin somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2