Quantcast
Anyone stores large amount gasoline in garage? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone stores large amount gasoline in garage?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Usually takes gas about a year to go bad, but you can put a stabilizer in it to make it last a lot longer.

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
    I know, just a jab at the people who make a big deal out of it when storing a car for a few weeks

My Ride
    Ford F150

I know plenty of guys that fill large slip tanks and then pump them off into barrels at home. Throw in some stabilizer and its fine. Shed is better than a garage though. Of course they do it off gas cards, but the savings would be worth it if you drive often enough.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Originally posted by oz388

The peak of our gas price in summer should be around $1.3/L, not $1.03/L. So it's $20 saving per tank of gas.
    Ya, so 1 case of beer less per week. Big deal. I couldn't imagine budgeting for fuel (or anything else for that matter lol)

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Jeese if your that concerned with gas prices then you should be driving a 4cyc eco box. I don't get people who buy gas guzzler's and complain about gas prices.

The cost to safely store it would probably outweigh any savings.

Besides, how do you know for sure it will not go lower?

The US has a strategic petroleum reserve for emergencies, not really for moneysaving. It actually costs more to pump in into the abandoned salt mines, have security guards, and then pull it out again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strateg...oleum_Reserve_(United_States)
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nothing

Pretty sure most homeowners policies are void if you're storing more than X gallons of gas in your garage.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Ford F150

What if you go through 2000 litres of fuel a month? Seems like the savings would be more than enough to justify storing it.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by M.alex
    Pretty sure most homeowners policies are void if you're storing more than X gallons of gas in your garage.
    There's actually nothing in any of the policy wordings that specifically talk about fuel storage limits or anything like that. What is excluded though is any damage resulting from illegal activity. I'm guessing it's unlawful to store over a certain amount of fuel at your residence. That's where the hole would be.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    What if you go through 2000 litres of fuel a month? Seems like the savings would be more than enough to justify storing it.
    If you go through that much then chances are it's not for personal use hence a partial if not total write-off, so no sense in worrying about the cost, the more you pay now, the less you pay later. I go through about 1000L/mth in the busy season. Couldn't give a fuck if it was $3/L when I can write it off.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

There's actually nothing in any of the policy wordings that specifically talk about fuel storage limits or anything like that. What is excluded though is any damage resulting from illegal activity. I'm guessing it's unlawful to store over a certain amount of fuel at your residence. That's where the hole would be.
    So....you're saying I can't store that 1,000 lbs of Ammonian Nitrate in my garage? Bummer....

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by C_Dave45

So....you're saying I can't store that 1,000 lbs of Ammonian Nitrate in my garage? Bummer....

Doesn't matter to me what you do at your personal residence. Just don't try to claim any damage resulting from said illegal....ummm....non-traditional activity.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Lets see...

Ammonium nitrate @ 1.725 grams per cubic centimeter = 3,800 pounds per cubic meter. A footstool should be able to just fit 1,000 lbs.

This is a hard one: What takes up more space, three $100 bills or one nickel?

And the Ultimate test: How many Belarusian rubles does it take to buy 48 bottles of root beer?
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    V8s

^

My Ride
    *The First*

Necromancer BUMP!
    This is mildly related. I have zero interest in storing large volumes because the marth shows it doesn't save any money.
    I'm just interested in storing a regular jerry can in my garage without it stinking up the place so badly.
    What's your advice?
    So far, I've given it a pretty good squeeze while it was at a somewhat neutral temperature and closed both lids tight. The temp swings in my garage are not small, but I'm hoping (keeping it out of the sun from windows) that as it heats up there will be room for expansion without venting and as it cools down, it will cave in a little more but not virtually implode and tip over.
    In other words, I've tried to find the sweet spot where there is room for the vapour to expand and contract without the need for venting.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Garages get really hot in summer. I've tried this and never been able to avoid strong gasoline odor. Better to store outdoors in a shady space IMO, although not storing is even better.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I keep a jerry can half full of gas in my garage mostly for the lawnmower. Definitely don't use it all and not sure if it's damaging my mower.

Nothing has broken so until then......WEEEEEEEEEE.

I leave a jerry can in my garage as well all year (heated in winters) and 3-4 days out of a year I can smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Garages get really hot in summer. I've tried this and never been able to avoid strong gasoline odor. Better to store outdoors in a shady space IMO, although not storing is even better.
    I thought Beyonders get A/C in their humidity and temp controlled car holes?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Beyonders get A/C in their humidity and temp controlled car holes?
    I don't think those beyonders even care, since the butler parks the car when they are done driving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast