Quantcast
Is owning an EV vehicle realistic? Drive coast to coast w/free stations (map) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is owning an EV vehicle realistic? Drive coast to coast w/free stations (map)

Default Is owning an EV realistic? Drive coast to coast w/free stations (map)

One of the downsides to an EV (electric vehicle) would be the length of time it takes to fully charge the unit, for 99% of my vehicle use this would not be an issue. Interesting to note how far this industry has come in the last few years. How long before you personally know someone that owns an electric vehicle? I have been considering buying two vehicles, one an electric for the city and short road trips (Lake Louise distance) and the other a mid sized diesel. The two leaders are a Tesla roadster (Lotto win needed) and a VW/Audi/Jeep 2014 diesel for road trips. One could argue I could simply rent a no diesel vehicle for the half dozen multi day trips I take yearly and come out far ahead.

This guy drove a Tesla coast to coast in the middle of winter without an issue:
    https://suncountryhighway.ca/worlds-...ghway-project/

The Trans-Canada Highway the longest and greenest highway in the world, with free charging stations placed every 100 to 200 kilometres. Canada is the first country in the world to have a free coast-to-coast network of stations to power electric cars.

Map of charging station locations (who knew?) across Canada (coast to coast):
    https://suncountryhighway.ca/ev-trip.../#.UPGTMKWICX8

Find an EV for your lifestyle, the Teslas gets over 400km per charge:
    https://suncountryhighway.ca/evfinder/

* made corrections from "EV vehicle" to "EV" in the body, the subject change did not take hold for some reason. Did this all from the comfort of my PC computer.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-16-2013 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I want to see batterycapacity information for these vehicles when the temps hit -20 or below.

Green vehicles are great, when the environment is green .... not white.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I'm really interested in EV vehicles too. Tesla is a bit out of my range, and I like the concept of the LEAF but not liking the car itself. Nissan is supposedly working on an EV crossover. That would definitely get my attention.

My Ride

A lot the stations in the prairies are "pending installation..."
    and Not to mention a lot of them aren't exactly right off the highway.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

The fact that it took 35 days to complete the journey coast to coast leads me to believe that the drove about 300 kms a day and charged the car overnight. Which would mean that if you wanted to drive to Vancouver it could be at least 3 days. Not worth it IMO. I'd rather buy a diesel that can make it on a single tank of fuel one way.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 03-24-2013 at 10:03 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2010 S4

I think we are still a ways off from EV cars really being realistic outside the urban environment, at least until better storage can extend the range. I think in the mean time we will see more electric cars with some sort of gas generator to extend range like the Chevy Volt.
    Last edited by dubhead; 01-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by codetrap
    Or my Mazda 3 Sky that can do it in a single tank of fuel as well, and it a lot more fun to drive.
    Not too sure what they are rated at. I was thinking more Touareg TDI, ML350 Bluetec or any of the larger diesel wagons.
    Last edited by projekz; 01-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by projekz
    The fact that it took 35 days to complete the journey coast to coast leads me to believe that the drove about 300 kms a day and charged the car overnight.
    I didn't read the detail but let's just say that you get stuck in uninteresting middle of nowhere 30% of time. That's almost 12 days and $1200 minimum of lodging.

Right. EV is good for to and from work. That's about it.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If you care about the environment, then you should know by know that heavy metal batteries cause signifigantly more damage over the lifetime of the car when compared to a small modern gasonline car.
    Comfort and Function > Economy
    Also on this subject most of our electricity still comes from coal the heaviest polluting energy source out.

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema

I didn't read the detail but let's just say that you get stuck in uninteresting middle of nowhere 30% of time. That's almost 12 days and $1200 minimum of lodging.

Right. EV is good for to and from work. That's about it.
    I can only imagine a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver in 3 days and with a cost of $500 in food and hotels...

Might as well take the plane and rent a car...

You might even be able to ride a horse to Vancouver in 3 days. Now that's environmentally friendly!

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

If you actually care about economy and more importantly reliability; then Diesel or an eco-hatchback like a Fit or yaris... screwing around with EV cars is just asking for trouble.

If you care about the environment, then you should know by know that heavy metal batteries cause signifigantly more damage over the lifetime of the car when compared to a small modern gasonline car.

If you care about your image as a trendy hipster douchbag, then EV all the way!
    That's going on my facebook status, with the direct intention of pissing off the ex's hipster douche friends.

Originally posted by Anomaly
    A lot the stations in the prairies are "pending installation..."
    and Not to mention a lot of them aren't exactly right off the highway.
    I only clicked on a couple of locations and they were able to charge, having now clicked on a dozen I am finding more showing status as "pending installation", not comforting at all.

One solution kicking about has been the idea of swapping out the batteries at charging stations, gas stations, etc, swap your drained battery for a freshly charged one. In this way charging down times as a negative issue would be eliminated. This would require all vehicles to have the same battery system and a simple access process (not an easy thing to pull off). If it takes any more than five minutes to swap, it only adds to the hassles. Besides the batteries must weight a few hundred pounds. Eh, more headaches, waiting for my flying car might make more sense.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

These new extended range electric vehicles, like the Volt, are perfect entries to the market IMO.

Run on electric only when bumping around the city. Fill her up and go into hybrid mode when doing a road trip. Brilliant!
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Tomaz
    These new extended range electric vehicles, like the Volt, are perfect entries to the market IMO.

Run on electric only when bumping around the city. Fill her up and go into hybrid mode when doing a road trip. Brilliant!
    At least I can see myself getting behind this:

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/20...-detroit-2013/

If you care about your image as a trendy hipster douchbag, then EV all the way!

Comfort and Function > Economy
    You seriously think owning an EV makes you look like a trendy hipster douchbag? OK, time for a reality check for the guy owning a Hummer maybe. I think we can all agree on what a Hummer projects. Secretly I would like one, but that is beside the point... EV Hummer where are you?
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Xtrema

At least I can see myself getting behind this:

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/01/15/20...-detroit-2013/
    Really nice!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.

In 30 minutes charge to 80%, some EVs are now having a full charge in half the time:

http://www.hybridcars.com/vw-of-amer...harger-system/
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-16-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast