Quantcast
My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

Default My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

Vehicle Specifics: The car is a 1988 Honda Prelude Si 4WS. In the engine compartment sits a stock B20A5 w/ manual transmission. The car currently has 71,000 original kilometres on both the body and the drivetrain.

The Story Behind The Car: My dad purchased this prelude brand new from T&T Honda back in 1988. He drove the prelude sparingly, all it's life. There were a few occurrences when it was stored for 5-6 years without being started or moved. Unfortunately, when it wasn't being driven it was stored outside and uncovered, so the body started to suffer from the odd rust spot and fading paint. Luckily, my dad never drove the car in the winter so the weathering wasn't too bad (i.e. no "Honda rust" or rotting floors), but nonetheless there were some areas that needed serious attention.

My dad gave me the keys to the prelude in spring, 2010. At the time, it had about 62,000 kilometres on the odometer. The car still had the original michelin tires, which were bald to the point where the steel threads were showing. So my first purchase for the car was some tires that I found off of kijiji.ca (I think I paid $100.00). I had them mounted at the local Kal-Tire and began to drive it around that spring. Here is what it looked like at the time:

As you can see, the body was still pretty straight:

The worst of the rust (pretty typical spot for rust to start on these cars):

I drove the car around like that for the rest of the year and stored it for the winter.

The next spring (2011), I reconnected with an old friend from elementary school, who was as into cars as I was. He had just bought a side swiped S13 with a pre-swapped SR20 and I had helped him to repair/modify it. The mod-bug eventually caught on and it inspired me to fix up the prelude.

I got into contact with "mungo" from beyond and had the car painted at the Heninger Toyota body shop for $600.00. I think he was doing it under the table...but I didn't care, I was just excited about the great deal. I believe he was fired not too long after. I prepped the car myself (my first time) and he painted it. It was a dual stage paint job, I believe. Unfortunately, I did not know anything about body work, so I did not know anything about block sanding or the like. I just sanded the original paint with some 600 grit and just grinded/bondoed over the rust spots. The paint job turned out okay though. Here are a couple pictures of the process and final product:

I also bought some Volk CE28N knock-off's shortly after the paint-job (pictured above). They were 17x7 Tenzo Formula 10's.

In fall of that year, I ordered some brand new ARC DC2 winglets from Speedtech Calgary. I thought I was the "sheit:"

Later that summer, I realized how terrible they looked and sold them off to a beyond member.

During mid-winter (2011), I purchased some "EK" civic Koni yellow shocks and ground control sleeves off of Kijiji. I installed them, along with some HUGE 25mm spacers...this was the result:

I also purchased a used Spoon N1 Exhaust off of a beyond member and had it installed (you can kind of see it in the first picture, above).

That same day, I accidentally dropped the car onto a jack stand and dented in the rocker panel on the driver's side. I pulled the trigger and decided to rebuild the car...and so began the tear down:

My failed attempt at taking out quarter panel glass:

I eventually got caught up with school and the regular occurrences of life, and eventually lost interest in the car. It was pushed into a corner and has been sitting on jack stands ever since.

Last year, I began to follow the Chronicles Blog (stickydiljoe.com) and joined the forum NWP4LIFE.com (now shut-down). I was in awe when I seen the Honda's on both websites, and it inspired me to take an interest in the prelude once again.

So that's the timeline up until now. I'm not expecting this build to be completed in the near future (mainly due to budget restrictions). Nonetheless, I hope you guy's will enjoy the journey.

- Sorry for the wall of text.
    Last edited by spacerz; 01-13-2013 at 11:57 PM.

My Ride
    Lease

Default Re: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

Originally posted by spacerz
    I think he was doing it under the table...but I didn't care, I was just excited about the great deal. I believe he was fired not too long after.
    Mad props

This part's the funniest of the build so far.

My Ride

My first big purchase for the car was made at Tunerworks Calgary, earlier this year. I dealt with James, and I had absolutely no complaints about the service I received there. He provided me with constant updates on ETA's and answered all of my questions without hesitation.

I ordered some very wide, low offset, Ray's Volk TE37SL's. I was hesitant on ordering the 9.5's, but Ray's did not offer a 9 inch wheel for the 4x100 p.c.d, so I was forced to go with it. I will be running a FWD stagger, so the wider wheels will be going up front. Here are some pictures:

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

Looks really nice!
    I have a soft spot for those cars for some reason.

Any plans for the motor?

Or any test fit pictures with the wheels?!
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."

My Ride

Durring September 2012, I purchased some Dunlop Z1 Starspec's. The sizes are 255/45/R17 and 245/35/R17 (that's right, no extreme tire stretching here).

Last edited by spacerz; 01-16-2013 at 09:28 PM.

My Ride
    DC2

Wow. Can't even describe how excited I am for this build.
    This is going to be amazing.

My Ride
    a car that usually breaks down

soo sick!

My Ride
    Rude

How much will it take for you not to fuck up an amazing car? Keep it stock you nasty fuck

My Ride

My second "big" purchase for the car was ordered in December, 2012. I purchased this item from Rhys@Revwerks. I was also quite pleased with his service and excellent communication skills.

These coilovers are meant for a 5th generation Honda Prelude. I will be the first to attempt to make them work on a 3rd generation Prelude. I'm sure there will be some fabrication involved, but I was expecting it. They are ZEAL/Endless Function-X coilovers with the aluminum body.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Yeah, it sure was sketchy. Haha.

Originally posted by EM1FTW
    I'm keeping the "bastard child" B20A5 motor in there. Everyone swaps H-series motors into the 3rd generation prelude, which is cool and all, but something just makes me want to keep the motor it came with from the factory.

There are a number of companies who make forged internals, so I will be sourcing those in the near future. I am also going to be sourcing a turbo really soon. The most exciting thing I have planned, is the one-off manifold and downpipe that Chris@ Unobtanium Welding will be fabricating for me, this summer.

There are no test fit pictures with the wheels yet because I wanted to set up the suspension before I attempted to fit the wheels!

Originally posted by Errol.
    Thanks! I'm just as excited as you are!

Originally posted by troi.oi
    Thanks, Simon.
    Last edited by spacerz; 01-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Finally made a build thread! Awesome!

Default Re: Re: Re: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

I am also going to be sourcing a turbo really soon.

sounds awesome. I like the shape of this generation. Just wondering why you chose 17s? You just like the look?

What are your spring rates on these bb6 coils?

The fact that it's been in the family its whole life just makes it that much better

My Ride

I also picked up some really rare lug nuts from a beyond/driftwest member. They are made by Project Kics and are the special "Knight Sports" edition.

Last edited by spacerz; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Can't wait to see this progress. Always had a soft spot for 3rd gens, still looking for a clean bodied 90-91. Good thing it has the B20A5 and not the B21A1.

You should find yourself a 90-91 trunk and tails they look much better than the 88-89

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

Originally posted by J.M.
    I know, it took me a while to get around to it. Thanks, Jon!

Originally posted by slinkie
    This car inspired me to go with the 17's:

I was originally going to purchase some 16'' Rotiform TMB's, but after seeing the car above, I decided to follow a similar build direction (more track-oriented). I haven't driven the car on the set-up yet, so I may still purchase another set of track dedicated wheels/tires.

The spring rates on the coilovers are 12k and 8k for the front and rear, respectively.

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Thanks!

I'm a fan of the 90-91 prelude rear end as well. However, the rear end conversion involves swapping the rear bumper as well. Unfortunately, the moulding on the 90-91 rear bumper is completely different than the 88-89 prelude rear bumper, so it will not flow with the rest of the car!
    Last edited by spacerz; 01-14-2013 at 12:37 PM.

My Ride

One of the rarest thing's that I have purchased for the car so far, was a brand new set of OEM floor mats (discontinued long ago).

Last edited by spacerz; 03-08-2013 at 01:40 AM.

My Ride
    Calgary Transit/Corolla

so cool and neat to see an older but newer car (if that makes sense) get built like this

my older sister had a bf back in the day that had one of these in black i thought he was the coolest guy ever because of his car lol

My Ride
    changes every year

this car was the reason i became a tuner, i love these preludes, im not sure why i never did buy one, but definitely interested in this build without a doubt.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

The spring rates on the coilovers are 12k and 8k for the front and rear, respectively.

Woah! crazy, your head's gonna be bouncing off the roof...This thing is gonna eat corners. keep the updates coming. How does the mechanical 4ws feel?

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My 1988 Honda Prelude Si Build

Originally posted by urrforce
    Thanks!

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    Thanks!

Originally posted by slinkie
    Yeah, the spring rates are very aggressive.

The mechanical 4WS is interesting for sure. It can go around turns pretty quickly. The tires really limited the amount of speed you could take turns at though. That's one of my main reasons for running such aggressive tire sizes this time around.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast