Quantcast
Own a Hyundai? Do your own oil changes? Buy Kia filters and save money - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Own a Hyundai? Do your own oil changes? Buy Kia filters and save money

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Own a Hyundai? Do your own oil changes? Buy Kia filters and save money

I am posting this hoping to help somebody else out, surely there are some other beta-engined Hyundai owners on here.

I have a 2010 Elantra Touring, which takes the Hyundai filter 26300-35503 (apparently this is their most common filter, so if you have a ~1995-2012 Hyundai you probably use this filter). Since I bought this car I have been buying oil filters from Hyundai dealers (to make them happy regarding my warranty) and paying ~$15-$16 per filter each time. Obviously this is a huge ripoff but I didn't think that I had any other options so I just bent over and took it for the first 5 oil changes. I tried different dealerships but due to a lack of planning on my part I was always in a hurry to get a filter now and just paid what they asked

After reading on another forum that Hyundai and Kia share a lot of parts between their brands (sometimes entire cars...), and that parts are often cheaper from Kia dealers despite being identical parts in identical cities I got curious if this applied here as well. Taking that part number I called a few Calgary Kia dealers and found their highest price was still nearly $5 (~35%) cheaper than the cheapest Hyundai dealer.

At all dealerships I asked for 1x 21513-23001 crush washer (gasket) and 1x 26300-35503 oil filter.

All charges are without eco fee and GST:
    Crowfoot Hyundai - $15.13
    Calgary Hyundai: $14.11
    Precision Hyundai: $14-ish (his computer was broken but he said it was just over $14 pre-tax)

Kia city: $8.98
    Northland kia: $9.33
    Eastside Kia: $8.25

Based on the above (and the fact that they were open on Saturday) I went over to Eastside Kia and managed to talk my way into a discount if I bought more than 1 filter at a time, and when buying 5 I got them down a bit more to into the $6.XX range per filter and crush washer. This is cheaper than I can get them for online!

Compare this to Hyundai, where every single Hyundai dealership refused to reduce the price at all no matter what I tried - buying more than one at a time, asking them to match online retailers, asking nicely for wholesale pricing, buying other parts at the same time, nothing.

TL;DR: If you own a Hyundai that takes a 26300-35503 oil filter you are getting ripped off at every Calgary Hyundai dealership, buy them from Eastside Kia.
    Last edited by Zero102; 01-15-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Call me a selfish prick... but usually when I find out things like this I do not share them on a public forum.

Kia probably gave you a deal because you are the rare case of someone who is "in the know". If every guy who walks up to that counter is "in the know" do you think they are going to give discounts out as easily? Probably not.

I would have kept this to myself Maybe I am an ass....
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

You are being a bit unclear here. Do you mean the Hyundai vs Kia price discrepancy, or the bulk(ish) discount?
    The Hyundai vs Kia discrepancy was across the board, all Kia dealers were less expensive. Posting it here is unlikely to change that.
    The discount however you might be right, I almost didn't post it, but in my experience negotiating a discount at the parts counter is pretty standard practice with dealerships so I figured it was alright. I pretty much always do this it is just Hyundai that have been dicks and refused to give any discounts at all.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

I don't want to hate...but how many hours did you spend figuring this out, driving around, negotiating at the till before it was all said and done? What's the price gap between getting it done at the dealership? Don't forget to add in your time to change the oil/filter when calculating total cost savings over the dealership.

Really that big of a difference?
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

The $6 I'd save isn a fair trade for having to drive all the way down mcleod, I'll just stick to the Hyundai dealership by southcentre

Appreciate the heads up though
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by Canmorite
    I don't want to hate...but how many hours did you spend figuring this out, driving around, negotiating at the till before it was all said and done? What's the price gap between getting it done at the dealership? Don't forget to add in your time to change the oil/filter when calculating total cost savings over the dealership.

Really that big of a difference?
    Hours? not even one

I googled each of the dealerships and called them, 15 minutes tops from start to finish. Then I drove to Eastside Kia, which was about 10 minutes out of my way to get the filters and negotiated there.

As for the no Hyundia dealers would negotiate thing, that is from the previous 5 oil changes I have done, not from this. I would just try to get them to move on the price each time I went in. Conveniently enough I found myself in there for warranty work close enough to oil change time that I only had to make an extra trip in to the dealership one of the 5 times and that was Crowfoot, who was very close since I live in Royal Oak and take the train from Crowfoot.

This thread isn't about doing your own oil changes vs having somebody do them for you. That is a debate for another time and place, don't drag that in here as it just isn't relevant.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Who makes Kia filters? I'm pretty sure you can buy a much better filter for less money.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Who makes Kia filters? I'm pretty sure you can buy a much better filter for less money.
    a much better filter for less than $7 each? i highly doubt that.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    The $6 I'd save isn a fair trade for having to drive all the way down mcleod, I'll just stick to the Hyundai dealership by southcentre

Appreciate the heads up though
    If you find yourself driving by Eastside Kia just stop in and pick some up at the parts counter. That's all I did, we were making a trip close by the dealership already, and when buying 5 filters at a time the savings were almost $9/each or ~$43 saved. Well worth the time in my opinion.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

OP are you Asian?

Thank you OP!

The part numbers for the filters are the same?

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by SOAB

a much better filter for less than $7 each? i highly doubt that.
    Why is that so shocking? I ordered 12 Purolator Pure 1 filters for my truck and wifes Acura for under $60?

If KIA uses some high performance oil filter than I stand corrected. But I'm guessing they just use some cheap pos like most other auto manufacturers and charge people out the ass for them.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Why are you buying filters at the dealership in the first place? Buying from Wal-Mart is just as good for your warranty, and I'd be surprised if Kia or Hyundai filters were any higher quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Why is that so shocking? I ordered 12 Purolator Pure 1 filters for my truck and wifes Acura for under $60?

If KIA uses some high performance oil filter than I stand corrected. But I'm guessing they just use some cheap pos like most other auto manufacturers and charge people out the ass for them.
    Purolator makes a lot of OEM filters but I will say that OEM filters in many cases are superior to most generic aftermarket filters (Fram and other cheap ones) and you are always guaranteed the proper check valve spring.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by heavyD
    OP are you Asian?
    Nope, just a cheap-ass, but thanks for stereotyping

Originally posted by Ven
    Thank you OP!

The part numbers for the filters are the same?
    Yeah the part numbers are identical, and although I haven't opened any of the boxes yet I have seen pictures comparing the 2 and allegedly the filters are identical once unboxed, they just come in a different colored box (when you buy from Hyundai the box says Hyundai and Kia, but when you buy from Kia it just has the Kia logo). I'll pull one of them out of the box tonight and take a pic to verify for anybody that is curious, but I am pretty sure they are identical. I tried to get the guy to search some other Hyundai parts I wanted (as they were available on the Kia Cee'd overseas) but he said he could only get stuff from north american Kia warehouses so I was out of luck.

This post wasn't about the Kia filters being super cheap compared to aftermarket filters, this was about getting warranty approved OEM filters for significantly less than what Hyundai is charging. During the warranty period it is just OEM filters for me. I'll switch to something else post-warranty, but for now this is what I (and many others) have to use, so why not save a few bucks?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Why are you buying filters at the dealership in the first place? Buying from Wal-Mart is just as good for your warranty, and I'd be surprised if Kia or Hyundai filters were any higher quality.
    Originally posted by heavyD

Purolator makes a lot of OEM filters but I will say that OEM filters in many cases are superior to most generic aftermarket filters (Fram and other cheap ones) and you are always guaranteed the proper check valve spring.
    There are TSBs out regarding engine noise and undesired performance when using aftermarket oil filters on these engines (as there are for just about every single make and model out there) and I have heard through a couple of dealerships and forum posts that they will deny serious engine warranty work if aftermarket oil filters were used. FWIW the correct filter for my car is $8 at Wal-mart and CT, and at least this one includes a new crush washer, has the correct bypass valve pressure and I know it has the check valve in it as well.

These (I believe) are made by Purolator, they would be on par with the bottom-end paper filters that Purolator makes, just like pretty much all OEM oil filters. I agree there are tons of good filters out there, the top-end Fram synthetic media ones come to mind and several others, but again, right now OEM is the only choice for the next 2 years.

Originally posted by Zero102

Nope, just a cheap-ass, but thanks for stereotyping

Yeah the part numbers are identical, and although I haven't opened any of the boxes yet I have seen pictures comparing the 2 and allegedly the filters are identical once unboxed, they just come in a different colored box (when you buy from Hyundai the box says Hyundai and Kia, but when you buy from Kia it just has the Kia logo). I'll pull one of them out of the box tonight and take a pic to verify for anybody that is curious, but I am pretty sure they are identical. I tried to get the guy to search some other Hyundai parts I wanted (as they were available on the Kia Cee'd overseas) but he said he could only get stuff from north american Kia warehouses so I was out of luck.

This post wasn't about the Kia filters being super cheap compared to aftermarket filters, this was about getting warranty approved OEM filters for significantly less than what Hyundai is charging. During the warranty period it is just OEM filters for me. I'll switch to something else post-warranty, but for now this is what I (and many others) have to use, so why not save a few bucks?
    The last Hyundai Filter I installed also had the Kia logo on it and the filter was made in Korea. FWIW on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums the Hyundai/Kia filters ranked high in construction and function. I also got the TSB and while I never had a problem running the universally premium rated Napa Gold filters; I decided to return to OEM and won't be going back. I like having the correct OEM filter on the engine, especially if it's a high quality one.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

There are TSBs out regarding engine noise and undesired performance when using aftermarket oil filters on these engines (as there are for just about every single make and model out there) and I have heard through a couple of dealerships and forum posts that they will deny serious engine warranty work if aftermarket oil filters were used. FWIW the correct filter for my car is $8 at Wal-mart and CT, and at least this one includes a new crush washer, has the correct bypass valve pressure and I know it has the check valve in it as well.

These (I believe) are made by Purolator, they would be on par with the bottom-end paper filters that Purolator makes, just like pretty much all OEM oil filters. I agree there are tons of good filters out there, the top-end Fram synthetic media ones come to mind and several others, but again, right now OEM is the only choice for the next 2 years.
    I didn't realize they were allowed to force you to use a brand of oil filter or void your warranty. Why is Hyundai so shady about their warranties?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I just want to point out that you don't have to use OEM filters to maintain your warranty. I'm fine with you using OEM if you feel it's higher quality, or a good value, but it is NOT required to maintain your warranty.
    I know I'm a little off topic, but that's one of my pet peeves.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I didn't realize they were allowed to force you to use a brand of oil filter or void your warranty. Why is Hyundai so shady about their warranties?
    Interesting point, I guess I don't know for sure if they can actually force it. I have heard about people being threatened on a couple forums and when I asked the salesperson I bought the car from and the service advisors at 2 different dealerships (crowfoot and precision) they both told me that proof OEM filters were used would be required if I ever need any major engine repairs under warranty, otherwise the warranty would not cover the repairs.

Given how much my lifters tick/hammer away when it is cold out I wouldn't be surprised if I will be getting a new set of lifters and/or camshafts before the warranty runs out and I'd like to be able to say that I used only OEM filters and not have to worry. I think I'm not the only one who likes this peace of mind, and since the Hyundai/Kia filters are actually rather high quality and this peace of mind comes so cheaply I guess I never really found it necessary to dig too deeply about whether they can actually require OEM filters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast