Quantcast
How'd you get your foot in the oilfield door?! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How'd you get your foot in the oilfield door?!

Default How'd you get your foot in the oilfield door?!

Hey Beyond,

So recently I decided, I wanted to head out to the rigs and work some long hours for some good money.

I am currently a second year Automotive Service Technician. I enjoy it, but everyone I know works the rigs and have stupid amounts of money, people 2 years younger than me (Im 21) have put 25,000+ deposits on houses..

Im still living cheque to cheque to get by.

ENOUGH with the sob story though. All my friends give me for advice is hand out resumes.

But theres gotta be a better way. Ive handed out resumes to every company in my area (Medicine Hat). I have my class 5, no criminal record, decent drivers abstract, high school diploma, Im certified in electrical theory and diagnosis. I understand I dont have any tickets or class 1, and thats what they want...but how did everyone i know get those certifications through their work AFTER they got hired.

Any input is appreciated.
    Cheers to a fresh start!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

take all your safety shit, drive to nisku, say "heeey, im not a drug addict and im reliable" ... be ready to start in a week... but there is also seasons for this. and i couldnt tell you if now is the time.

if you have friends doing it. it should be a simple referral

Yeah, unfortunately Nisku isnt an option.

I am more than willing to work away from home, doing shift work. Although I cant relocate.

I have had 2 referalls, but nothin came of it.
    Cheers to a fresh start!

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i dont know anyone that actually relocates though. you are out for 2-5 weeks at a time on site then you just drive back for a week or two of down time. its pretty rare to do field work that is 9-5

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Nisku, or even other central Alberta companies should be an easy in. Then again, southern sask is pretty busy these days too I think.

On a side note, depending on how long the winter stays relatively cold, breakup occurs when everything starts to melt, and that usually means slow downs, and possibly lay offs depending on the company.

Like previously stated, having at least a couple safety tickets wouldn't hurt your odds. It would show that you are serious about this kind of work. And they are good for around 3 years.

What kind of "rigs" are you trying to get into? Service side? Drilling?

If you are in the Hat. Drive to Brooks and do the same thing.
    I never thought of this.

I'm gonna book off Monday and that! Great idea.

Nisku, or even other central Alberta companies should be an easy in. Then again, southern sask is pretty busy these days too I think. On a side note, depending on how long the winter stays relatively cold, breakup occurs when everything starts to melt, and that usually means slow downs, and possibly lay offs depending on the company.

Like previously stated, having at least a couple safety tickets wouldn't hurt your odds. It would show that you are serious about this kind of work. And they are good for around 3 years.

What kind of "rigs" are you trying to get into? Service side? Drilling?
    Anything that pays good. Service and Drilling rigs both pay close to the same according to NAODC.
    Cheers to a fresh start!

My Ride
    Car

Also services ie Trican. If you could get on with tricans frac crew in red cliff you could easily make 6 figures in no time (they also have cement and coil in brooks)
    Last edited by woodywoodford; 01-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Also services ie Trican. If you could get on with tricans fraction crew in red cliff you could easily make 6 figures in no time (they also have cement and coil in brooks)
    I applied at Trican just over a week ago now.

I'll try them in brooks when I go.

Do you go back to the place you dropped off a resume, and ask if it had been looked at or anything like that?
    Cheers to a fresh start!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I would get your First Aid and H2S Alive, get stack of resumes, get the PPE required, have a bag ready to go and go door to door and just tell them what was said above and you're ready to go. Are you in fairly decent shape, able to lift heavy shit and have no issue working in filthy conditions?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Besides having h2s, first aid, and ALL PPE I am ready to go.
    Cheers to a fresh start!

Originally posted by dsilvia89
    Besides having h2s, first aid, and ALL PPE I am ready to go.
    Translation: I have none of the required tickets or equipment necessary, but someone hand me a job on a silver platter k thx.

Seriously, go spend a few days on courses. H2S is mandatory and without it your resume will be thrown in the trash.
    $135 h2s - 8hr course
    $150 First aid - 16 hr course
    most company's have a staff PPE purchase program with significant discounts. this is the only purchase that you could maybe put off until you are hired.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Hell, you could even do those courses online

No you can't ^

Most places require H2S alive, not awareness.. And I don't know of any online first aid - like level B that most require.

Doors closed... Shits gonna slow down big time.

From my experience, first aid is not required but would be an asset. Instead get your PST (petroleum safety training) and H2S.

Also, right now there is an abundance of applicants WITH their tickets. A company won't want to invest that cash into you without a guarantee you'll be around in 3 months. Get your tickets and show you're serious.
    Nisku is your best bet to get on with a drilling company that will work through breakup. Everything in southern sask stops as their is zero ground disturbance in sask.

If you're primarily in southern Alberta your best bet is service rigs as there is a ton of well servicing on old wells. However, service rig hands work way harder than a drilling rig, so be prepared for that.

H2S and PST and you'll be working in a week.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My advice, is to get onto driling rigs if you can. The work is better, and often safer.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

... and show up in Dunlops, riggers dun' loves Dunlops.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Get your PST, H2S and first aid with CPR.

Buy steel toe boots. I use the green dunlop boots year round. Just wear thick socks in the winter :p

Drilling rigs work 7-7. So you know how much you're going to make every day.

Service rigs work like retards. I've worked 20 hour days before. Not sure if thats changed in the past years.

Both will be slow as hell march thru june.

The time to get hired is after that. Right now it will be tough, it's not busy like it used to be. Rig count is decently high though. so with the usual turnover you should be able to find work. (http://www.caodc.ca/statistics/rigco...ng_weekly.html if youre curious about how busy rigs are)

Brooks and Nisku are your best bets for drilling. Dont need to relocate, just go on a rotation and come home for days off.

Service rigs will pick you up at your front door. Not sure what there is in the hat.

Trican/weatherford/etc will never make you as much money. But the work is easier. Dont ever go cementing.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Car

^ I cemented for a few years... it's not *that* bad. sure some days you're balls out, 3 days without sleep, whatever, but then other days you do a 2 hour job half an hour out of town and then you're off for a couple days, until you come up in the rotation next. I was young (19) though so really doubt I could cut it anymore. I got old and lazy haha.

Tip for job hunting: don't look like a dog fucker. Seriously, that'll shut you out right there. Don't wear any of those fancy horn rimmed glasses, don't do your hair, don't show up in slacks or loafers or whatever. Show up looking like you know what you're doing, know how to work and wanna get dirty.

Originally posted by dsilvia89
    Yeah, unfortunately Nisku isnt an option.

I am more than willing to work away from home, doing shift work. Although I cant relocate.

I have had 2 referalls, but nothin came of it.
    Why is Nisku not an option? The extra 2 hours from the Hat to Calgary is going to be the deciding factor if you can work on the rigs or not? That makes absolutely no sense.

Like everyone else has said get some tickets and get your ass up to Nisku ASAP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast