Quantcast
2013 Golf Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    I knew it! I should have waited and bought my golf clubs at the show! So many cheep irons! Some pings were going for less than $400 bucks!
    Kinda sad I couldn't go but glad I didn't lol.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Hahahaha! Next year I'll save up and get some deals some of the Golf courses where offering at a very good discounted rates.

We pretty much went around putting our names in for raffles on every booth. I just wish I get an email saying I won something! lol!

Some of the out of town and US Golf courses were sooooo nice.

Originally posted by vtec4life
    Played virtual golf on saturday at X Factor (right next to Royal Oak Audi)

Very nice simulators... I would say the best in Calgary, PGA quality.

4 guys and a bunch of beers came out to roughly $72.00 each

We played TPC Scottsdale, home of the WM Open.

I shot a 79 with 9 foot gimmies, my best round on a simulator.

My friends went 81, 86, 95

Great way to kill a chilly saturday afternoon!
    It is definitely the best simulators in the city, perhaps the world. I don't think a better simulator exists. One thing, unfortunately, that I don't think simulators will ever be able to replicate is the short game. Chipping and putts are just a bit off. Not too bad though.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    BMW

I just bought a Ping G25 driver, tried it out on golf town's new simulators, very good results

In the market for new hybrids now, looking at the adams Idea tech v4 right now

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've been impressed with the simulator at the Riverside club. You guys think the X-Factor sims are better? It's a bit of a drive from my house, but Could be worth it.

Also, booked my annual may long tee time at Mount Kidd this morning. Great weekend for golf, you usually see all four seasons through the course of your round. Wear shorts, but bring mitts.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I've been impressed with the simulator at the Riverside club. You guys think the X-Factor sims are better? It's a bit of a drive from my house, but Could be worth it.
    X-Factor is definitely better, no question.

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

Played X-Factor on Friday afternoon, pretty busy, very nice simulator.

Anyone pickup any deals at the golf show? I thought it was a bit disappointing, lots of golf resort booths didn't win any trips though GITS!

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

You saw it first on beyond! My top 25 public golf courses in Calgary/Banff and within an hour drive of downtown.

1. Stewart Creek
    2. Banff Springs*
    3. Hamptons
    4. Heritage Pointe (Pointe/Heritage 9s)
    5. Wintergreen
    6. Silvertip
    7. Redwood Meadows
    8. Links of Gleneagles
    9. Kananaskis Lorette
    10. Watervalley
    11. Kananaskis Kidd
    12. River Spirit (Spirit/Millburn 9s)
    13. Sirocco
    14. Canmore Golf Club
    15. Darcy
    16. Nanton
    17. Lynx Ridge
    18. Inglewood
    19. Elbow Springs (Springs/Elbow 9s)
    20. Canal at Delacour
    21. Speargrass
    22. Shaganappi
    23. Valley Ridge
    24. Springbank Links
    25. Calgary Elks

*An amazing course originally, easily the best on this list. With the routing redesign in the 1980s and poor conditioning, especially the bunkers, it’s no longer so special.

It’s not until you start building this type of list you realize it’s not simple. I’ve always found it very easy to critique other top golf course lists but at the end of the day I used them as a guide to check out new tracks during my travels and too often the hype didn’t meet my expectations.

Maybe it’s because too many separate panelists make these lists for ScoreGolf, GolfDigest and many of the other major publications. Golf course ratings really are subjective to each individual. I found this out when I consulted a few friends and local golf professionals to let me know their top 10s. I’ve played each of these courses, study golf design and even shot under par at a few of them so that makes me think I’m somewhat qualified to do this.

My list is first and foremost rated on the actual golf course design. What this boils down to in my books is did the architect make the most of the available land and make a course that is fun for hackers and scratch players alike? Secondary criteria is conditioning, service, practice facilities, pace of play (tee time spacing) and I even take a bit of the 19th hole atmosphere into the equation.

Value is a very important component but I don’t really take it into account since at the end of the day golf is expensive in Calgary. Prices start at $53 + GST for a 5200+ yard municipal course for 18 holes on Fridays-Sundays and getting one of these tee times isn’t easy. Any way you cut it we have terrible value compared to nearly anywhere in Canada and the USA.

A golf course ranking list is meant to create discussion imo and this is exactly what I hope happens since Calgary golf course reviews are so limited.

edited to make ranking changes
    Last edited by 20incheyes; 04-30-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Banff springs is over priced and overrated, delacour is shitty. Sundre would be in my top 5, and have maple ridge on there.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Originally posted by trieuth
    Banff springs is over priced and overrated, delacour is shitty. Sundre would be in my top 5, and have maple ridge on there.
    Sundre is a great track but it's over an hour drive from dt so didn't qualify.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I just started playing last year, only 6-8 rounds, and this year I plan to play 75 percent of those courses. I'll check back at the end of the season and let you know how your list stacks up.

Heritage Pointe wasn't that special, but I guess once you factor in the practice facilities and the clubhouse, it becomes much better. Also, I'm surprised Inglewood is so high, with all the noise from the planes and Deerfoot.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

Originally posted by npham
    I just started playing last year, only 6-8 rounds, and this year I plan to play 75 percent of those courses. I'll check back at the end of the season and let you know how your list stacks up.

Heritage Pointe wasn't that special, but I guess once you factor in the practice facilities and the clubhouse, it becomes much better. Also, I'm surprised Inglewood is so high, with all the noise from the planes and Deerfoot.
    I feel like since you have only played 6-8 rounds of golf in your life it may be difficult for you to judge a golf course.. no offense.

I've played 19/25 of the courses on that list and Heritage Pointe is one of my favorites from the facilities to the extremely well kept course.

If you go on a weekend afternoon foursome it's less than $100 a person including carts.

Inglewood I do agree is not that special in my opinion, its a very traditional style track with narrow fairways, lots of trees and fairly straight.

For anyone who has not played Nanton I suggest getting out there!

35 or so minutes from south Calgary but its only $65 bucks with half a cart and it is a great track.

My top 5 public courses based on overall Value:

1) Kananaskis in the early months - $65.00 a round for Albertans
    2) Nanton
    3) Darcy Ranch
    4) Maple Ridge - fun course for a city track and if you can get a tee time
    5) Shawnee slopes if it was still open : (

In other news, Tiger woods regains #1 spot for the 11th time in his Career. Think he will win a Major this year? I think he might win a couple..

My Ride
    BMW

Winter Green
    Innisfail
    Darcy Ranch
    Watervalley
    Heritage Pointe
    Gleneagles

My top 6

My Ride
    BMW

Went to Xfactor today, probably best simulator I have ever played on...if you have a imperfect shot, you WILL see it. The only thing I didn't like about it are the short wedge shots, could be more accurate. Putting can never be accurate on simulators, so I wont even go there

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

1 Hamptons
    2 heritage pointe
    3 Valley ridge
    4 lynx Ridge
    5 glen eagles

Love playing at 1 3 and 4 because of the pace and maintenance but most importantly because they're close to home.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was at X-Factor last night, played 18 at Harbortowne. I agree with some of the above posters that this is the best simulator in Calgary. Better than Riverside hands down. I thought the wedge shots were pretty accurate. Only thing that's wonky is that since you are hitting off the sane surface each time, sand or rough shots don't get as much taken off as they would in real life. I blasted a ball about 60 yards with my 60 degree wedge from a sand lie. In real life, that club would be hard pressed to go past 30 yards. It acted like a shot from the fairway. At least at riverside they have different sections of the mat to hit from so it sorta simulated the harder lies.

Anyway, good facility, and even though it's waaaay the hell out by the remand centre and dump, I'll probably be back. Too bad they don't have more food options, but that's easily solved by ordering in some pizza or something.

And, favourite courses:
    Kananaskis - Mt Kidd
    Kananaskis - MY Lorette
    Sirocco
    Ingelwood (aside from the noise, I love this track)
    Gleneagles
    Valley Ridge (like the cart GPS system, very handy for a person learning or a drunk guy)
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-27-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by 20incheyes
    1. Stewart Creek
    2. Banff Springs*
    3. Heritage Pointe (Pointe/Heritage 9s)
    4. Wintergreen
    5. Silvertip
    6. Redwood Meadows
    7. Links of Gleneagles
    8. Kananaskis Kidd
    9. Watervalley
    10. Kananaskis Lorette
    11. River Spirit (Spirit/Millburn 9s)
    12. Sirocco
    13. Canmore Golf Club
    14. Darcy
    15. Nanton
    16. Lynx Ridge
    17. Inglewood
    18. Elbow Springs (Springs/Elbow 9s)
    19. Canal at Delacour
    20. Speargrass
    21. Shaganappi
    22. Valley Ridge
    23. Springbank Links
    24. Calgary Elks
    25. Mckenzie Meadows

[/B]
    Great list! I would add Turner Valley, Highwood and Maple Ridge as courses that could be in the top 25. Also at Heritage Pointe I love the Desert 9 but don't like the Pointe 9 at all. It's just a poor layout that doesn't really let you hit a driver for the most part.

Also, I noticed lots of people put Wintergreen really high on the lists. I like the layout but the course seems to be in poorly maintained almost every time I've played.

Is the Hamptons open to the public this year?

Yes, Hamptons is public. 90 Mon-Thurs, 120 Fri-Sun.

I would be beyond pissed if I was a member there as it will now get hacked to shit with all the guests.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Originally posted by Perceptionist

Great list! I would add Turner Valley, Highwood and Maple Ridge as courses that could be in the top 25. Also at Heritage Pointe I love the Desert 9 but don't like the Pointe 9 at all. It's just a poor layout that doesn't really let you hit a driver for the most part.

Also, I noticed lots of people put Wintergreen really high on the lists. I like the layout but the course seems to be in poorly maintained almost every time I've played.

Is the Hamptons open to the public this year?
    My father in law is a member at Turner Valley so I get lots of invites to play out there but very rarely take the offer. Nothing really sticks out in mind about it.

Highwood I may have slightly overlooked, haven't played there in 7 years and only twice in total. My list will always be changing, the last few years I've been a member so don't explore as much as I use too.

I use to live on Maple Ridge so played it often, good city track. However I think there are many better designs for that piece of land.

Ever since Wintergreen ski hill closed and the golf course hasn't had to deal with the major runoff the conditions have been improving there huge. The last couple years it's better than many of the private courses in the city. Exception being #12 the Par 3 near the WG sign as you turn off the main road.

However that's a filler par 3 and truthfully a joke of a hole so you don't have to endure it long. The rest of the course really maximizes ever sq inch of the land too so I often overlook that hole and hope for a 10 foot birde putt.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Originally posted by JLau
    Winter Green
    Innisfail
    Darcy Ranch
    Watervalley
    Heritage Pointe
    Gleneagles

My top 6
    Great list and I'm glad I'm not the only one who regards Wintergreen so high. Innisfail I haven't played but I only hear good things.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast